GD: Armed Police Batrider

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
cigsthecat

GD: Armed Police Batrider

Post by cigsthecat »

I know there aren't a whole lot of Batrider folk around, but I figure I'll shout into the void anyway.

I would like to figure out how the crazy record score of 20+million (Advance) was accomplished. All extra bosses + lots of boss milking was Mode7's theory. I still don't understand how this adds up to 20 million points, or even works for that matter because...

To access a hidden boss you need to have a certain type of ship in your stock. Not only do you have to select it from the start, but it still needs to be in stock when that hidden boss shows up.

Example- you need to select a Garegga plane to fight Black Heart at the end of the Sewer stage. So if the Garegga ship was your first selection and you died once before finishing the Sewer, no Black Heart.

This makes for some SERIOUS plane/ death management when taking on Advance+ extra bosses. Maybe that's just it, I don't know. Was Batrider strategy ever covered in Arcadia? A VHS superplay released in Japan? Will someone in Japan stand next to a machine and wait for a good player and film him for me?

Also- here's a little tip: When you first power on your PCB the rank will be pretty bad. For some reason if you wait about 30 min before playing it'll settle back down to normal, and stay there. I'm playing Jp version B, I haven't tried this on any other format. You'll be able to tell right away by the speed medals are dropping at.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

LAOS OSADA SENNIN

ADVANCED COURSE

CARPET, MARIA, FLYING BARON Э
This is a good idea finding out what that freak show above is doing, because I can't fathom how that score is made

I'd like to see a record normal course score to find out if the score is jacked up after the highway or not.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

• Regarding Rank:
    I'm not entirely sure what constitutes rank, but from observation it seems to be tied to survival time, stage order and Shot/Option strength. If anyone has more concrete info on this then I'm all ears ^_^
  • Regarding Ship and Stage Selection:
    Both the ships you choose and the starting order of stages affect the overall scoring potential of your run. From estimate you can get half of the possible maximum from just general scoring, while the other half will come from boss milking and destruction. Therefore it is important that you select your ships and stages carefully to maximise your overall scoring chances.

From experience, it is definitely important to pick Sky High as your starting stage, as you do not get extra Medals from bombing scenery like you do in the other stages, therefore you should be able to safely increase your Medal values to maximum from this stage. There are a few extra sources of Medals in this stage though, such as destroying the turrets or whatever on the large group of blue bombers (the ones you target to unlock Bashinet), as well as the turrets on the big green and yellow bombers before the boss.

After that, the stages need to be selected according to your actual ship selection order. For reference, I use Gain (C), Silver Sword (B) and Strawman (A) in that order, so I select Sky High, Sewer and Airport (in that order). That way, if I can survive through City and Sky High with Gain (therefore accessing Bashinet), I have a buffer life to spare to access Black Heart, and after that I should be able to extend to regain Gain for Gob-Robo at the Airport.

Experiment with your own ship selection and stage order, as you will find it does affect scoring greatly.
  • Regarding The Scoring System
    You might know that Batrider shares a few traits with Garegga before it, and with Bakraid after it, in that specific attacks will give you more points from enemies. What that means is that Shot/Option (and the charged variants) will give you a certain amount of points, Aura will give you a certain amount of points and Bomb will give you a certain amount of points.

While I'm not entirely certain what enemy gives you what, I do know that it will great affect the total score you can gain. For example, the tanks with lasers in the second half of Sewer can give you 30,000pts if destroyed with Aura, same as the Sky High boss' four green satellites. In fact, the Sky High boss' satellites give you 120,000pts when you destroy all four of them, and then they give you 30,000pts each when they withdraw. 240,000pts total ^_^

It would be a good idea to check out the Service Mode's Character Object Test, as I think it lists all the point values for enemies/turrets. Might be worth noting them all down here for reference.

There are also a lot of little turrets you can milk on bosses and enemies, and some enemies/bosses have attacks you can milk (like the large missle launchers that fire salvos of four in Zenovia City). Spot these places and work them ^_-
---------------
freddiebamboo wrote:I'd like to see a record normal course score to find out if the score is jacked up after the highway or not.
It is. Considering the amount of secret Medals and destroyable scenery you can get, as well as the amount of flying drones and milkable attacks, it's possible that efficient scoring can net you an extra 7mil+ from the last two stages, at least. That's at an estimate.

I'm considering making a preliminary ST with contributions at some point. Anyone interested in helping out?
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

I'd like to know how I can score efficiently in this game.

Also, Icarus, I'd like to help out with the ST, but I don't know where I'd begin and I'm no pro at this game.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

If you're looking to score efficiently, then it is best to learn to play the game without triggering the extra bosses first, and to do that, use just the Batrider ships. Sounds like a bit of a contradiction given my previous post, but it is important to note that while bosses can randomise their attacks (and thus make defining a good strategy a bit more difficult) the stages themselves are always fixed, so learning how to score high from stages is a must.

Learn what attacks must be used on enemies to get points. As stated beforehand, certain attacks will give you more points. Aura seems to be a good generator of points, but as all short-ranged weapons, there is an element of risk involved. Some targets give you more points for using Bomb. Also learn the secret sources of Medals.

After that, drop into Boss Only Mode, and select your ships according to your future stage strategy for unlocking bosses. Again, I stated that I use Gain, Silver Sword and Strawman in that order, so my stage strategy should be Sky High, Sewer and Airport. Get used to handling bosses using your defined order, and by combining that with efficient stage strategies, you should be able to start adding more points (and more bosses) to your strategy.

As for the preliminary ST, I'm not going to write it up for a while yet, as I have a lot on my plate at the moment with my final year at Uni. I am interested in scoring information for enemies though, specifically what attacks will give you the most points (I think there's an option in the Service Menu that can give you that information). I'm also interested in more concrete information regarding the rank system (if there is one). Something to look into in the near future. ^_^

EDIT: Just had a little browse in Character Test Mode in the Service Menu. A few surprises here, such as getting 30,000pts for destroying the cockpit section of the airliner in Airport with Bomb (you know, the one that Bazzcok slices up and appears from)... ^_-
Last edited by Icarus on Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AWJ

Re: GD: Armed Police Batrider

Post by AWJ »

cigsthecat wrote:Also- here's a little tip: When you first power on your PCB the rank will be pretty bad. For some reason if you wait about 30 min before playing it'll settle back down to normal, and stay there. I'm playing Jp version B, I haven't tried this on any other format. You'll be able to tell right away by the speed medals are dropping at.
The initial rank at the start of a game depends, essentially, on how busy the machine is. Every time a player plays a game, the initial rank increases a little. Every time the entire attract sequence cycles, the initial rank decreases a little.

When the machine is first powered up, the initial rank/"busy-ness" variable is set to its maximum value. This is to prevent players from circumventing the system by pressing the reset switch before starting their game. Apparently, savvy players figured out how to do this pretty quickly in Battle Garegga (which has a similar system, only the initial rank starts out at its minimum value at power up) and operators didn't like it because it wasted so much time (Garegga and Batrider have a pretty lengthy POST sequence)
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

AWJ wrote:
cigsthecat wrote:Also- here's a little tip: When you first power on your PCB the rank will be pretty bad. For some reason if you wait about 30 min before playing it'll settle back down to normal, and stay there. I'm playing Jp version B, I haven't tried this on any other format. You'll be able to tell right away by the speed medals are dropping at.
The initial rank at the start of a game depends, essentially, on how busy the machine is. Every time a player plays a game, the initial rank increases a little. Every time the entire attract sequence cycles, the initial rank decreases a little.

When the machine is first powered up, the initial rank/"busy-ness" variable is set to its maximum value. This is to prevent players from circumventing the system by pressing the reset switch before starting their game. Apparently, savvy players figured out how to do this pretty quickly in Battle Garegga (which has a similar system, only the initial rank starts out at its minimum value at power up) and operators didn't like it because it wasted so much time (Garegga and Batrider have a pretty lengthy POST sequence)
Fascinating, I couldn't figure out what was going on for the longest time. This is an annoying way to handle rank. Where did you get this information?

Icarus- I am very interested in helping. Just getting some sort of dialog going about Batrider will be nice.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

I'd like to know if using the bomb fragment bonus once you max out you bomb slots is a viable tactic.

The negatives are a hellish rank increase and obviously not being able to bomb for most of your run, which means tougher bosses and little/no scenery bombing.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

I wouldn't worry about that since the points you'll get from bombing all the secret medal locations are worth much more.

Regarding rank- If you are playing Normal, don't even bother managing it. Even going for all the extra bosses it can be disregarded safely. Go ahead and take extends with a full stock for the 100k bonus, power up fully and have at it.

Even on my Advance ALL run I forgot about rank for the most part. I would go ahead and drop extends if you have a full stock in Advance though. If you miss 3 and then pick up the next one you'll get a full ship stock (Special Extend)- I'd try and take advantage of this. There's also a Special Bomb Extend - miss 3 large bomb icons, then take the next for an extra life. You'll need to miss the two large bomb icons in Airport, then later there are more in Stage 7. When that thing drops it'll be extremely welcome.

I think rank management will only become important trying to play through Advance with all extra bosses. Similar Garegga style tactics will be needed then.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

freddiebamboo wrote:I'd like to know if using the bomb fragment bonus once you max out you bomb slots is a viable tactic.
I doubt it. If it is anything like Garegga/Bakraid, collecting surplus bomb fragments will drive up rank.

I just nearly broke 1mil in stage 1 (~950k). Started with Strawman and bombed all the cars at the beginning, and the subway train. Got the birds. Destroyed the glass panels and got the Medals in the central section, then died. Used Gain for the rest of the stage, used Aura on the boxes to the right of the police cars, and destroyed nearly all the turrets on Conflict with Shot and Option. It might be possible to pass 1mil on stage 1, although very hard given all the targets that must be destroyed.

It might be easier to take out the back missile launchers on Conflict with a Garegga ship's Options set to Trace Form, although I've yet to try that.

Other little observations:
  • The rain of missiles before Boredom (Sky High's boss) are best attacked with a wide bomb, as you can get about 200k from one bomb.
  • Using Aura against Boredom's green satellites is a tricky method, but you get 30,000pts each from them. When you destroy all four, they will withdraw. Use a Bomb on them to get a further 30,000pts each.
  • Boredom's arms - the ones that have three turrets on them - are worth 10,000pts each. The drones you can milk for Medals.
  • Bashinet has a few weapons you can destroy, for a large number of points each. Those little flying things that attach Bashi's weapons will give you a Medal for each one destroyed. The circular saw weapon can be destroyed as well, and will regenerate. I think the second form - the grey armor and twin laser cannons - has a milkable attack, the large missiles fired from the sides.
  • The five flipover turrets that you need to destroy to access Black Heart in the Sewer stage are best attacked from the right side, and with a widearea piercing bomb (Silver Sword's Napalm, Strawman's Vulcan etc). Wait until the far right side one is just about to flip to flat, then bomb to the left, and you should destroy all of them when they are fully flipped to get four Medals each from them. 20 Medals each at MAX is aout 200k.
  • After the flipover turrets, and the runway that hides Medals that follows, is a large group of inactive mecha sat to the left of the screen (before the first box that holds four Medals when bombed). Using a widearea bomb on this section can give you about 100-300k extra in points.
  • To the right of the next section are a few tanks (the ones with two turret ports on the top) and a laser tank in the middle. Bombing the tanks on the right gives you 30,000pts each, while using Aura to destroy a laser tank will also give you 30,000pts per laser tank.
  • Use a Bomb to destroy all of Deviate's turret ports and get 50,000pts per port destroyed.
  • You can fully destroy both of Black Heart's wings. ^_^ Each of the support fighters will give you a Medal as well.
  • The two trucks that appear before the Airport main section have large Bomb icons hidden, destroy the front cab first before the trailer opens.
  • Use charge shot to attack the two large side parts of the turret (the target you need to destroy to unlock Gob-Robo) and stay to the sides to do as much damage to these sections before you attack the central turret.
  • As stated before, use Bomb on the cockpit section after Bazzcok slices it off to get 30,000pts. Also, when Bazzcok appears, use Aura on the tail for a further 30,000pts.
  • You need to destroy the turret next to Bazzcok's central weak point in order to force the wing to open and spawn drones. Do not attempt to open both wings as Bazzcok will fire a very fast spread at you. Milk those drones for powerups and Medals.
  • Bashinet2 is just as annoying as it's predecessor, but you can attack the homing bombs and the weapon attachments for 10,000pts each.
More to come. If anything, suicide tactics for score might be a factor for more advanced scoring, although I've yet to figure out just how you can do that AND manage your ships to unlock bosses -_-;;
sven666

Post by sven666 »

you can get sickening amounts of points from the airport boss's second formation, if you have a fast ship and your medals at max you can proboably rack up a few millions here with some skill.

i was working on doing so before my break with the game, i guess ill pick it up again someday..
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Bombing the Police Cars in stage 1 gets you 3k per car, but it's a choice between this and using aura on those boxes. There are so many things to do here and not much time/ bomb fragments. 950k is impressive Icarus, my best is 850. That's with no death though.

For Gob-Robo- if you can destroy his swinging spike ball hands at the moment (or close to it) they are fully extended you get what looks like a medal for every little green link. At max value this is at least 100k per arm.

And wow, milking Boredom is hard. You can only get 4 or 5 medals out of the drones on each side, but it's good for getting up to 10k medals before stage 3. I've only been working one side at a time, I'll have to try opening both sides at once now.

Bashinets first form could be fairly profitable but it would be a real pain. The second form's missiles are worth very little.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

cigsthecat wrote:Bombing the Police Cars in stage 1 gets you 3k per car, but it's a choice between this and using aura on those boxes. There are so many things to do here and not much time/ bomb fragments. 950k is impressive Icarus, my best is 850. That's with no death though.
I think the key here is to decide what is worth more points - bomb lots of cars or Aura boxes - and then go for it. My thought is that cars are worth more since they're more in abundance, and so are bomb fragments. Also I'm experimenting with suicides to get Bombs, since you always get an extra one and a half on respawn.

While thinking about bomb strategy, I theorised that maybe you can tack on a little bit more right at the beginning of the game to take you over the 1mil mark. When you start the stage, Bomb immediately to take out all the cars to the left and right, then pick up enough Bomb fragments to give you a full one plus a few extra (about 6-10 spare). Use the full one to destroy the subway train, then use Aura to knock over the signs at the front of the autoshop. Use up the spare Bomb fragments to wipe out as many cars in the auto yard, then Aura to destroy the auto shop and the big sign (in that order) to release the birds.

Suicide, then use a widearea bomb to attack both the birds and the panels of glass. Continue on and hoard some Bomb fragments, and Aura the boxes to the right of the police cars. Destroy all of Conflict's turrets, easier done with a non-homing Option weapon.

I'll try this out and see if it works.
cigsthecat wrote:For Gob-Robo- if you can destroy his swinging spike ball hands at the moment (or close to it) they are fully extended you get what looks like a medal for every little green link. At max value this is at least 100k per arm.
Yeah, timing is the key with Gob-Robo's arms. Quite a profitable area since Gob-Robo itself is very easy to beat.
cigsthecat wrote:And wow, milking Boredom is hard. You can only get 4 or 5 medals out of the drones on each side, but it's good for getting up to 10k medals before stage 3. I've only been working one side at a time, I'll have to try opening both sides at once now.
Opening both sides of Boredom is risky since it has so many screenflooding attacks. And those arms - the ones with three turrets attached - are a total pain to dodge, especially when it does it's scatter attacks.

If you can find a consistent method of approaching Boredom, then you can improve your score by a fair bit.
cigsthecat wrote:Bashinets first form could be fairly profitable but it would be a real pain. The second form's missiles are worth very little.
The grenade cannon always gets me first. The circular saws aren't too bad to dodge, but coupled with the tail that fires threeways spreads at you, it can make for a really annoying boss.

Definitely profitable if done correctly.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

I think for now I am going to work on an all secret/extra boss + milking Normal run. Once I can become more consistent I'll work on moving what I've got into Advance course.

I finally figured out how to see the point value/enemy stuff in Character Test. Definitely interesting, although there are quite a few things that give extra points for a bomb that I can't quite recognize.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

It might be a good idea to think about compiling a list of enemies ordered by stage and their point values as taken from Character Test. If we have a good idea of how many points an enemy/object is worth dependent on attack usage, it'll help in developing a good in-stage strategy for scoring.

I don't know if boss milking is worth that much to be honest. Given the amount of bosses there are in the game, if you were to milk them all, it's probably be estimated at being worth 3-4mil in total (at around 400k average per boss).
sven666

Post by sven666 »

ive always wondered whats the deal with the missiles before the boss on the sky stage?

anyone find a way to rack up points here?, they must be there for a reason? (because they are IMPOSSIBLE to die on)...

ed: ive never found boredom to be all that hard, just use afast ship and move in a tilted "8" motion and youll see what i mean, if you time the drones with dodging the attacks and the position of your ship collecting th emedals isnt really that hard and you wont do much excessive damage to the boss..

other than that i really havent found any good ways of milking the bosses exept destroying the obvious bits...
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Just got 950k without dying on stage 1, 1 million is definitely possible. I messed up the garage part too. One trick for the boss- open up both the money boxes with aura once the boss fight begins, then collect the money without shooting. As long as you don't damage them further they spit out money much longer than they normally would.

I have varying degrees of success on destroying all parts of this boss, sometimes I can't seem to damage the last little bits separately. I'll have to see if I can get some screens to explain this better.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

It's the back missile launchers and the two flame bullet turrets on the main part of Conflict that I cannot seem to get consistently. You can definitely use a Garegga-style Trace Option tactic to get the back missile launchers (taking care to shoot down any missiles that get too close), and you have to be very quick to get the flame bullet turrets to activate. These four targets in particular seem to activate at random, though, making consistent scoring harder.

Is it me, or do you get less points for things destroyed with piercing bullets?
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

cigsthecat wrote:Fascinating, I couldn't figure out what was going on for the longest time. This is an annoying way to handle rank. Where did you get this information?
I don't remember, but probably somewhere on the shooting game board on 2ch (http://game10.2ch.net/gamestg/)

Apparently quite a few newer (late 90s and onward) arcade games dynamically adjust their difficulty in this way. It seems that efficiently milking coins from players has been raised to a science...
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Managed just a hair over a million after stage one. Although I had died, then took advantage of the extra bomb to nail the boss as it died. I still think it can be done without death.

And your right about those last boss parts Icarus, it does seem random as to whether or not you'll be able to damage them sometimes.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

A bit of food for thought.

Player: Icarus // Stage 1 (City), 1mil pointgain (DIVX - 20MB)

A few things that need to be addressed:
  • While the death was intentional, I missed getting the birds from the autoshop building, knocking about 50,000pts off the possible score
  • A large number of boxes that could be Aura'ed for 10,000pts each missed
  • Missing one of the flame bullet turrets and the two back missile launchers, for around 50,000pts total
Given all the missing bits that I know of, I reckon a possible stage 1 maximum to be in the 1.2 to 1.3mil range. It'll take a bit of practice and a bit of luck, since some of Conflict's turrets seem to activate at random -_-;;;

I'm all ears for critique, comments and suggestions ^_^

Also, I carried on this credit and took Sky High as my second, didn't bother to milk Boredom, and died fighting Bashinet (second form, when it drops those airmines and spews that fast spread at you). Figured out a little milking trick on the first form, all you do is target one side weapon, and when you destroy the first, keep destroying the little support thingies that carry the weapons. If they cannot attach the weapon, they keep respawning, giving you easy Medals. And the mine shower is pretty lucrative, but very dangerous, since the bullets fired are aimed at random.

Ended with about 1.68mil and MAX Medals, so a good scoring run could be built on this with a bit of practice.

One other thing to note: you do lose points for using piercing Shot/Option. -_-;;;
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

For milking Boredom, I think opening both sides first is the best way to go. Opening one side is fine until the arms start coming out and you have to deal with the green circle pattern from one side, the arm's pattern, and stuff the middle will fire.

Opening both sides at once is a good way to get some medals from each side, then easily destroy a ton of arms once they start. I think killing 10-12 arms is a good goal. Any more and you'll risk a flyaway. I'll try to make a Boredom video soon.

edit- just saw your video Icarus, thanks! I think a mix of both our techniques will make for a pretty solid Stage 1.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Just played a decent credit, 4.2mil, died at the hovertank at the beginning of Highway (on Normal Mode). Unlocked Bashinet and Gob-Robo along the way, but lost Silver Sword at the Sewer so I couldn't get Black Heart. Also lost Gain at Deviate, and thus missed out on Bashinet2 as well. I think my ship and stage order is okay, just need to refine the stage strategies to maximise scoring and survival.

A few more observations from my past few credits:
  • Bashinet's second form with the large missiles is definitely milkable. Each missile is worth 1,000pts, and they are fired eight at a time, for eight seperate salvos. That works out at ((1000 x6 ) x6 ) = 36,000pts per complete salvo destroyed. If you take a lot of care during the second form, you can probably get about three to five cycles of this attack, for around 120-160k.
  • I think the small mines in Bashi's second form (the one that fires bullets in a 360 degree circle) is worth 5,000pts each.
  • If you are using Strawman against Boredom, do not use the charge attack to destroy the ring laser ports on the side of the boss. Go out wide and force your Options to lock onto the ring laser port, and then tap maneuver to the center of the screen to dodge the ring attack, while damaging the ring laser port.
  • Use charge attacks against Boredom's arms. You can target both arms simultaneously this way, and the extra power from the charge attack will destroy them faster.
  • Those green submarines at the beginning of Sewer are worth 10,000pts each. If you have a full bomb spare, wait until there is a lot of them on screen, and sweep them all at once. If you don't have a full bomb spare, either save it for the flipover turrets, or use the full bomb regardless on some of the submarines, and use only a small amount of bomb fragments to take out the rest. Or if you are really confident, you can work in a suicide tactic to use up the full bomb on the submarines and regain a bomb for the flipover turrets (risky though).
  • That box which holds the large Shot powerup and the Option near the beginning of Airport is worth 30,000pts when destroyed with Aura.
  • Non-homing Options are best used against the big turret bank on the airliner at the Airport (the one you need to destroy fully to unlock Gob Robo), but you can use homing Options as well. Just charge up a full attack, then go out wide and force your Options to target the side parts of the turret bank.
  • The Three Rivals (Sobut, Blunt and Envy) all take an element that is staple of past Raizing bosses attacks and refine them. Blunt uses entrapment attacks, Sobut uses variations on the moving vulcan, and Envy uses different variations on laser attacks. All of their attacks are telegraphed, so learning what to watch out for will make it easier to dodge the attacks. (I'll probably put up an analysis of attacks for each boss in the near future.)
  • Speaking of the Rivals, Blunt seems to be the best to score with, since there is an abundance of destroyable turrets adorning its body. One thing I've noticed is that if you destroy the large turret on a shoulder (the one that fires a large arrow shaped spread) then that arm will activate. While the arm itself is pretty tricky to dodge, it does come with the advantage that there are about ten turrets on the arm, worth 10,000pts each.
More notes to come, as I play the game a bit more.

Now here's an interesting question for you. What causes the blue bombers in Sky High (the ones you destroy to unlock Bashinet) to drop Medals?
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

Icarus wrote:Now here's an interesting question for you. What causes the blue bombers in Sky High (the ones you destroy to unlock Bashinet) to drop Medals?
I think they have wings/turrets/engines/something that are separate targets, and it is these that drop the medals.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

OK, my video is uploaded now. I don't think a death is really necessary to get a good score in stage 1.

I'm still not sure whether to use aura on the 4 boxes in the beginning or fill up on extra bombs for the first car lot. I've never gotten 40k by bombing the lot yet, so maybe the boxes are the way to go. Towards the end a careful mix of using aura on the boxes and bombing the cops is good. I've done a better job of that part before. Anyway this strategy will get you a safe 1 million.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Just checked out the video, good stuff. I forgot that using Aura on the autoshop building and sign gets you more points than using Shot, so I was missing a lot more points than I thought.

Good stuff. I think with further refinement, getting 1.1mil consistently will be a good target. The more points gained from stage 1, the better placed you are to Extend in the right places to access bosses (and also to rank control in Advanced Mode).

Speaking of stage 1, I was curious to know if it is possible to quickly ramp up the Medals value using the secret source of Medals next to the glass panels. Since in most games which feature incremental Medals, the best way to score is to get the Medals to MAX as quickly as possible, so I got to experimenting. Unfortunately it seems impossible to do that, because:
  • The Medals are too far spaced apart which makes it difficult to grab two at a time. Only Car-Pet can do this by using a bomb.
  • The Medals are revealed four at a time, in 2x2 groups. Even using Car-Pet and the above method, you can only increase the Medals up to 900pts -_-
There is one place I know of where it might be possible to drive up the Medals in this manner, and that is in the Sewer, just after the flipover turrets, where Medals are concealed in the runway in the middle of the screen. However, given that's a stage and a half away, it would probably be better to keep the Sewer stage and it's abundance of Medals until after you get the Medals to MAX, probably through Sky High.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Nice to see you're finally enjoying Batrider, Icarus. Now you really deserve the title of "Raizing fan extraordaire" ^-^;

Sorry for the off-topicness :wink:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Randorama wrote:Nice to see you're finally enjoying Batrider, Icarus. Now you really deserve the title of "Raizing fan extraordaire" ^-^;
Heh. ^_- You knew there had to be one Raizing fanboy around somewhere ^_-
I'm surprised you're not playing this, Rando. Batrider would be right up your alley, given your skills on Garegga.

-----------------------

EDIT: I've dropped up a short list of estimated scoring targets for Normal Mode. This is based on quickly obtaining and keeping MAX Medals, scenery bombing, unlocking all secret bosses and boss milking. This is just an estimated guideline based on my current ship and stage selection order, however, and my own current strategies, so feel free to comment or correct if you know that there are more available points on a particular stage.
  • Stage 1 (City) - 1.1mil
  • Stage 2 (Sky High + Bashinet) - 1.0mil [total: 2.1mil]
  • Stage 3 (Sewer + Black Heart) - 1.8mil [total: 3.8mil]
  • Stage 4 (Airport + Gob-Robo) - 1.6mil [total: 5.4mil]
  • Stage 5a (Bashinet2) - 400k [total: 5.8mil]
  • Stage 5b (Tsumujimaru) - 400k [total: 6.2mil]
  • Stage 5c (Hayatemaru) - 400k [total: 6.6mil]
  • Stage 5 Main (Highway) - 600k [total: 7.2mil]
  • Rivals (Blunt, Sobut, Envy) - 1mil [total: 8.2mil]
Last edited by Icarus on Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
landshark

Post by landshark »

This game has been growing on me for the past 4 months or so; thought I haven't been playing it much. I keep playing boss-mode when I do. I'll have to start giving the regular game a try too. I have an all clear score for normal somewhere around here I think - a real low one.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

MAME only version, small monitor, joystick is too loose, no real time to spend on games i don't really know well...I would like to get the PCB, once i'll be able to afford it. Same for Dimahoo, Bakraid and Brave Blade. Wishful thinking for the moment, sadly.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.