rq: 19xx

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
sven666

rq: 19xx

Post by sven666 »

so how does this game work?

bonus points for medals?
at the end of the level your rank goes up depending on something and its multiplied by your medals to give bonus..

what controls rank?
what determines your end of level grade?
what are the tricks for medal rains?
where are the bonuses (medal caves, smart bomb guys, anything else?)
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I think the main thing which affects your "rank" is the percentage of enemies you shoot down in a level...your "grade" (I'm not even sure that affects anything at all) seems to depend on how quickly you kill the boss of the level.
Icarus

Re: rq: 19xx

Post by Icarus »

sven666 wrote:so how does this game work?
Each ship has different Shot range, Shot power, Homing range, Homing power, speed and special weapon (one of the powerups available can be leveled up twice). Personally I perfer the Mosquito because it's a Power type with it's double powered wide missiles, and it's has good speed.

You'll see long lines of red drones occasionally, destroy all of them to get a powerup. The powerup will cycle through the three available weapons - Laser, Wide Missile and Vulcan - so learn the order they cycle in, and how long it takes to change. Occasionally you'll release a Bomb as well. The Bomb will cycle from a Bomb state to a weapon, then Bomb, then to the next weapon etc etc.

You'll get points for surplus Shot powerups, up to a maximum of 80,000pts.
sven666 wrote:bonus points for medals? what are the tricks for medal rains?
The larger the medal, the more points it's worth. You'll see lines of drones with one red drone at the tail of the chain. If you destroy this chain of drones willy-nilly, you'll get three medals, but if you destroy all the grey ones and then the red drone last, you get five medals instead.

EDIT: Just remembered that this type of drone formation sometimes has the red drone at the head of the chain. Same deal though, destroy all the greys before the red to get five medals.
sven666 wrote:at the end of the level your rank goes up depending on something and its multiplied by your medals to give bonus.. what controls rank? what determines your end of level grade?
At the end of the stage, you are graded both on your speed at destroying the boss (up to S rank, the preferred rank) and from efficient enemy destruction (100% preferred). The trick to good scoring is to try and aim for the very best in both bonuses as they multiply your end of stage bonus - lives, bombs, medals collected on that life.

For a marker, I can S rank most bosses except Raimei (stage 2 boss) and I can get 100% on most stages except stage 2 (occasionally miss one fast drone) and the penultimate stage (too much going on).
sven666 wrote:where are the bonuses (medal caves, smart bomb guys, anything else?)
I know of a 1UP on stage 4, to the right of the three tanks before the boss. There is some weird trick to getting it that I haven't quite worked out yet, either related to your current score, or from some weird order to destroying all the tanks in the cave section of the stage.

I also know of most of the "miclus"-like bonus guys (the ones that clear the screen when collected), but it's been a long time since I last played, so I can't really help you much until I return to it.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

wow.. you sure know alot of shit about alot of games icarus :shock: very impressive, many thanx! :D
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Thanks, always glad to be of service ^_-

One of the advantages of focusing on one or two games for a few months at a time is you develop a good understanding of the systems and the tricks to exploiting them for good scoring gains. 19XX was one of the games I spent a good deal of time on, my best score was a 12mil ALL with the Mosquito. The last boss is very difficult with the Mozzy though, as the ship's slow speed makes it hard to dodge all the fast attacks that come your way. -_-

One little tip for you: you do not need to charge the Homing Missile fully to be able to use it ^_-
sven666

Post by sven666 »

yeah i noticed that you only have to hold the button for a brief moment to charge it :)

making progress quickly in thisone, alot of fun, i reckon ill be atleast 1CCing this before i take it out of the cab :) guess i'll be aiming for your 12 mil ;)
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Icarus wrote:
I know of a 1UP on stage 4, to the right of the three tanks before the boss. There is some weird trick to getting it that I haven't quite worked out yet, either related to your current score, or from some weird order to destroying all the tanks in the cave section of the stage.
Have 2 7's in your score, or something like that :)

I got up to 10m on this game, then gave up :(
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Smraedis wrote:Have 2 7's in your score, or something like that :)
It's something unusual like that. I always thought it had something to do with your score being over 1.4mil, or a specific order to destroy the tanks within the caves section of the stage. I actually have a MAME input file saved where I got the 1UP, but haven't had a chance to analyse it yet.

I haven't found any concrete information on 19XX lately either, I did have a couple of Japanese capture guides saved a while ago but lost the link on my last OS reinstall -_-;;

The only thing I can remember concretely is that the absolute maximum for the game is 20mil, but it was stated at various Japanese shmup forums that actually getting 20mil is impossible, and 19.5mil is a more likely target. I tried for that, and was unable to get close since I couldn't S-Rank Raimei on the 12mil credit (three seconds off, IIRC), missed the stage 2 100% by one fast-moving flying drone, and stupidly didn't kill the first miniboss in the last stage (the one that looks like a turret platform when you descend into the body of the giant super-battleship), was too busy grabbing all the medals that appear to the secret spot on it's left -_-
undamned

Post by undamned »

Icarus wrote:my best score was a 12mil ALL with the Mosquito.
Wow, do I have a ways to go! I just got the cart on Saturday and I'm focused on the Sinden, right now. Seems to be quick, w/ a small hitbox, and I love the double lazer action :D Good tip on the quick lock, I wasn't sure if it was time sensative or not, so it's nice to know that it doesn't matter :D
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
sven666

Post by sven666 »

undamned wrote:
Icarus wrote:my best score was a 12mil ALL with the Mosquito.
Wow, do I have a ways to go! I just got the cart on Saturday and I'm focused on the Sinden, right now. Seems to be quick, w/ a small hitbox, and I love the double lazer action :D Good tip on the quick lock, I wasn't sure if it was time sensative or not, so it's nice to know that it doesn't matter :D
-ud
awesome UD, lets duke it out in the HS thread :D i always find a little competition to be great inspiration :)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Hold the presses! Just realised my info is wrong.
Icarus wrongly wrote:You'll see lines of drones with one red drone at the tail of the chain. If you destroy this chain of drones willy-nilly, you'll get three medals, but if you destroy all the grey ones and then the red drone last, you get five medals instead.

EDIT: Just remembered that this type of drone formation sometimes has the red drone at the head of the chain. Same deal though, destroy all the greys before the red to get five medals.
Regarding the drone chains that have one red drone in it: if you destroy the red last, you only get three medals. You must destroy a GREY drone last to get five medals. The order you destroy the chain does not matter, as long as you nail a grey one last.

Just played it for a bit, noted the correction that needed to be made.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Will write an ST sooner or later, say, this week-end? Rank is survival and extends, to my knowledge.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

I've seen 2 19+m replays and they are both almost as good as possible too, but I don't think I'd try to get as much too.

I also have problems on stage 2, with the % rate and the boss ranking, which seems to damage the score for the rest of the game too.
Gemant

Post by Gemant »

http://www.aiva.emuita.it/19xx.php?pag=5

19xx super play (mame replay) 20.000.000 +
esreveR

Post by esreveR »

I don't remember which stage Sancho Pedro is on, but I can only manage to get a maximum of 290 enemies/98% killed. What am I missing?

Even stranger, out of curiosity I just decided to nuke the entire level with cheats, and I still only got 99%. Very strange. Not like it was a score run anyway, so don't ridicule me.
WARNING: TARGET APPROACHING!!
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Sorry to bump this topic but since I am interesed in beating this game. Where are the 1-up items and how do you trigger them, minus the obscure stage 4 1-up
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Iaspis

Post by Iaspis »

Advanced tip: You can S rank the last boss by surviving over 4 minutes and 15 seconds without destroying him. It's a bit tricky because you cannot see the time and if it's one second less you get rank E. Furthermore, if you wait 10-20 seconds more, he escapes. I originaly posted this on Mametesters thinking it's a bug; apparently it's the original behaviour.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Anyone got any tips for the tank/mech boss on stage 6?
Specifically those little options he fired out that fly around the bottom of the screen firing little red lasers at you.

I think i have adequate strats for the rest of the game after that, but still find it a bit too brutal
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

I always just bomb that attack. If you time a bomb so that you can unleash the lv3 charge right when the drones appear, it will instantly take out all of them. You can dodge them somewhat reliably by just moving in a circle/infinity pattern but I found it pretty luck based.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Cheers Erppo! I'll try that from now on . The boss' order of attacks seems slightly random though so i'm never sure when to start charging.

A few hours ago I liked this game >_<
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Here's a clip from an old guide I wrote for STGT for my team, detailing a two-bomb speedkill of the stage6 boss.
http://bigcore.rsdio.com/icarus/19xx/st6boss.avi
The bomb timing and lock-on sequences are very strict, but this was a consistent enough method for me to get through the boss without incident.

EDIT: And the same strategy done in my PB run. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnZVD_aikqg
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ahh, thanks a lot gents.

I'll stop whining and redouble my efforts next week =]