GD: Dodonpachi Maximum

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
toaplan_shmupfan

GD: Dodonpachi Maximum

Post by toaplan_shmupfan »

Here are some observations I have made with respect to Dodonpachi Maximum, which plays a lot like a manic Toaplan game, and I am a fan of Toaplan games.

* The hitbox is only the white flickering dot inside the green circle, and this is why bullets can graze the green circle.
* The background pans from side to side very often, but does not affect the motions of the enemies in the foreground.
* Bullet colors are pink and blue, and have a variety of circle and arrowlike shapes.
* Pause the game on a specific stage to listen to that stage's soundtrack (press the back button once). My favorites are stage 2 music and stage 5 music.
* The higher the letter of the stage, the harder it will be--thus stage 3B is harder than stage 3A. Enemies will have similar entry patterns, but more difficult bullet patterns, especially midbosses and bosses.

That's a start. More can be added.
toaplan_shmupfan

Re: GD: Dodonpachi Maximum

Post by toaplan_shmupfan »

The update adds some stability so the game loads faster and also adds autobomb.

When autobomb is enabled, if the laser bomb is ready then when a shot hits the blinking dot in the green circle, the laser bomb will go off instead of losing a turn.

No other obvious changes were visible to gameplay or scoring.
hoagie

Post by hoagie »

I've got a feeling that it also improved a bit the damage done by the Orchid...in v1 it was almost impossible to kill anything. Not it does a bit more damage. Still the weakest of the pack, which makes since it charges bombs really quick.
So...I am a newbie.
:)
rancid3000

Post by rancid3000 »

Stage 5-E is killing me. I can't beat it with any of the ships. The only part that is rough is the spinning turret part. Anyone have any advice for getting through that part? A video would be even better!

I've been trying to time my bombs to get through it but I can't kill the normal enemies that are flying around among the turrets. I was hoping to have some luck with Orchid since the bombs recharge quicker but I still haven't had any luck.

Thanks.
hoagie

Post by hoagie »

I have different strategies for different ships:

-With the Delta Sword it is actually possible to avoid using bombs during that part. Just practice you'll eventually find a way. If no one has a video I can give instructions for each section I guess.

-With the Orchid I actually depend on activating bombs in certain sections:
--1st time after the two columns of tanks appear from the top (try to delay it as much as possible, after the waves of green ships appear if possible). The cool down should let you get across the screen to the topmost area and kill the first tanks coming from the upper right corner safely.
--2nd one when waves green ships appear on the upper left and there are two rows of red thingies on the top of the screen. Try to stay between the two rows, and when the second green wave appears activate the bomb. It should last enough to kill everything and give you time to move to the leftmost area to kill the enemies that appears before they can shot.
--3rd bomb goes off when a group a tanks comes from the left and two rows start going up. Again, enough time to position yourself for the following section (inside the two circles of red thingies).
--4th is fired when two columns of tanks start appearing from the bottom of the screen. Fire right away and place yourself in the place the tanks are appearing.

That should get you through that section.

-With the Tiger Schwert it's a mix of both things. Usually you can avoid using bombs but not so much as with the Delta.

I think that didn't make any sense. Should record a vid somehow.
So...I am a newbie.
:)
rancid3000

Post by rancid3000 »

hoagie wrote:I have different strategies for different ships:

-With the Delta Sword it is actually possible to avoid using bombs during that part. Just practice you'll eventually find a way. If no one has a video I can give instructions for each section I guess.

-With the Orchid I actually depend on activating bombs in certain sections:
--1st time after the two columns of tanks appear from the top (try to delay it as much as possible, after the waves of green ships appear if possible). The cool down should let you get across the screen to the topmost area and kill the first tanks coming from the upper right corner safely.
--2nd one when waves green ships appear on the upper left and there are two rows of red thingies on the top of the screen. Try to stay between the two rows, and when the second green wave appears activate the bomb. It should last enough to kill everything and give you time to move to the leftmost area to kill the enemies that appears before they can shot.
--3rd bomb goes off when a group a tanks comes from the left and two rows start going up. Again, enough time to position yourself for the following section (inside the two circles of red thingies).
--4th is fired when two columns of tanks start appearing from the bottom of the screen. Fire right away and place yourself in the place the tanks are appearing.

That should get you through that section.

-With the Tiger Schwert it's a mix of both things. Usually you can avoid using bombs but not so much as with the Delta.

I think that didn't make any sense. Should record a vid somehow.
Thanks a lot for that. I think that's basically what I was trying to do with all of the ships except the Tiger. Which ship do you think is the easiest to use for that part of stage 5-E?

A video would be great and I'm sure other people will be thankful as well.