ST: ESPGaluda II

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
trap15

Re: ST: ESPGaluda II

Post by trap15 »

I've decided to start reverse engineering ESPGaluda II now to figure out the scoring system and its numbers, and thanks to Cave's ineptitude, it's fairly easy.
However, they named everything in Japanese, so I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what some keywords are (though Google Translate helps for the most part).
If anyone knows Japanese and doesn't mind donating some time, ping trap15 on IRC (EFnet, Freenode, SynIRC).
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Himself

Post by Himself »

I've read the guide and I'm still having a tough time simply surviving. I can't get past Stage 2 on Normal Xbox360 mode. Admittedly I'm not the best player, but I've gotten damn close to 1CCing DeathSmiles, Ikaruga, and Dodonpachi Resurrection so I feel like there is something fundamentally wrong with my understanding of this game.

When I'm playing the Normal Xbox360 mode:

I keep reading that there is an auto-bomb and that it has something to do with your Guard Gauge, but I lose a life every time I get hit regardless of how full my gauge it. Does auto-bomb only activate when you're in Kakusei mode?

And what's up with the mode you enter when you hold down the Kakusei button? I've watched some videos on Youtube where the player activates it and then just sort of hovers over a boss until it dies.

The guard gauge is sort of confusing. Does it recharge on it's own? Should I only use the big charge blasts on bosses?

How often should I activate Kakusei mode? My strategy right now is to save up gems throughout the level and only use it on bosses. Is this wrong?

I just can't figure out why-other than needing to practice-I'm struggling so much to figure this one out. Any quick and basic noob tips are welcome and appreciated. Thanks to anyone that helps out.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Himself wrote:I've read the guide and I'm still having a tough time simply surviving. I can't get past Stage 2 on Normal Xbox360 mode. Admittedly I'm not the best player, but I've gotten damn close to 1CCing DeathSmiles, Ikaruga, and Dodonpachi Resurrection so I feel like there is something fundamentally wrong with my understanding of this game.

When I'm playing the Normal Xbox360 mode:

I keep reading that there is an auto-bomb and that it has something to do with your Guard Gauge, but I lose a life every time I get hit regardless of how full my gauge it. Does auto-bomb only activate when you're in Kakusei mode?

And what's up with the mode you enter when you hold down the Kakusei button? I've watched some videos on Youtube where the player activates it and then just sort of hovers over a boss until it dies.

The guard gauge is sort of confusing. Does it recharge on it's own? Should I only use the big charge blasts on bosses?

How often should I activate Kakusei mode? My strategy right now is to save up gems throughout the level and only use it on bosses. Is this wrong?

I just can't figure out why-other than needing to practice-I'm struggling so much to figure this one out. Any quick and basic noob tips are welcome and appreciated. Thanks to anyone that helps out.
1. Auto bomb is only available in Kakusei mode. Half your gauge will be depleted when you collide with an enemy. In Super Kakusei (what I like to call it), your entire gauge will be depleted.

2. That mode is unofficially what I call Super Kakusei. There's an official term but it's far too hard to even pronounce let alone remember. Chances are those videos you are watching are of the Black Label mode. In Black Label, Super Kakusei allows you to hover over bullets without dying provided you have enough White Gauge (another BL mechanic).

3. The guard gauge only regnerates when you pick up a bomb item, even then it only recharges 50% of the gauge. You should use it as you would a normal bomb in any other game. Charging it however will give off more damage. It is up to you where to use it.

4. Yes, you are doing it wrong. It is better to spend your Kakusei gems on certain clusters of enemies. Use stage practice to find enemies that spit out lots of bullets. A good example is in Stage 2 after the midboss. There are these ships that come out of the top left corner. Use Kakusei there, wait a little bit for the bullets to pile up, and then shoot away for massive points! I'd say for a general rule of thumb, use Kakusei either when you are in danger or you know a big scoring opprotunity is coming up.

Another rule of thumb, ignore Super Kakusei right now. It is purely for score gain in the Normal 360 mode. Using it will unleash tons of suicide bullets that will home in on you. Hope this helped you out!
Himself

Post by Himself »

Yes, it definitely did help. Thanks! It seems like I was misunderstanding some stuff and doing things wrong so I'm going to go back to it with a different approach. Regardless of how much I suck at it, I'm still having a lot of fun with this one. The soundtrack is unbelievable.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

how do i activate the gold/gem fountains in stage 2? (PCB)

feels like i tried everything but it just aint happening.. :?
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

Quickly destroy the mid-boss.

Use your guard barrier on his first form and you should be able to get the fountain to appear.
lol
TLB

Post by TLB »

You also have to wait until the mast (or whatever that is) of the first ship is partly scrolled off-screen before destroying it.

Demonstration.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

lol.. nice quality vid :lol: so basically there is no way to sacrifice either barrier or gems.

here are my tactics for anyone that cares btw.. my goal is to break 400mil and get the 1CC and i think this will pretty much do it.. playing ageha.

stage 1:
shoot everything with tap-shot untill the shot carriers before the midboss, tap open the first two and go into kakusei but keeping the button depressed.
destroy the first two simultaneously to go into zesshikai and make sure to destroy the first stage of the two carriers that follow so they start spewing shots.
depending on which is destroyed first start incing your way over to the other side and when you get the exit zesshikai and use barrier untill you can fire it on the midboss for a quick take down.
the use tap shot on the rest of the enemies untill the last two carriers, tap open both and go into zesshikai, destroy the right one first, then the left, then the big cannon.
switch out of zesshikai and back into time if you have the gems and destroy the tank above the cannon to clear the screen.
or if you have no gems just tap barrier and go into overmode and ride the stage out. about 20mil.

on boss 1, kill off the 1st segment and on the 2nd use kakusei to get the gems from the "right hand corner trick" (about 250 gems).

stage 2:
tap-shot all enemies except the turrets on the boats which i take down in kakusei for gems, if i have barrier use on 1st form of midboss the kakusei the 2nd for gems.
tap shot everything else with an occational switch into kakusei if i have the gems or zeshikai if i have plenty of gold too, not a great scoring tactic but i havent found a safe method that gives more than a mere mil or so anyways, and gold/gems are good for the boss so..
ed: zesshikai half the last part with all the big tanks for ~10mil points.

boss 2:
lazer the shit out of it untill the left-right needle pattern, depending on how many gems you have start zesshikai somewhere around the 2nd wave, about 5mil points
2nd form, lazer the shit out of it and switch to zesshikai on the 1st cross pattern, this will give you a perfect scoring on the pattern that follows, takes around 200 gems, gives +5mil points.
3rd form, if you have 140 or more gems just switch to zeshikai and lazer it down, if less you have to time it, 10mil points.

stage 3: tap-shot everything up untill the 1st swirly spread enemy (4 in total), depending on how many gems you have take the first two down with kakusei and tap-shot everything else.
on the part where two appear simultaneously go into zeshikai and take the right one down first, quickly fly to the far left and start tapping right taking down the 2nd in the process, at the right theres a tank take that down too and depending on how many gems you have either take the tank on the left too or switch out of zeshikai and into kakusei to clear the screen.
then tap-shot everything to the midboss.
take down the 6 towers and if you have plenty of gems kakusei on or two of them, kakusei the final pattern on the midboss. you should have 1000gold, around 200 gems and 60-70mil at this stage.
tap-shot everything up untill the 1st huge enemy, zeshikai the first pattern while keeping left, quickly zoom over to the right and up half the screen, take out the turret and two tanks so you end up roughly in th emiddle of the screen without being hit by the respawning bullets and lazer the shit out of the 2nd form for big points, switch out of zeshikai and into kakusei to clear the screen.
tap shot everything else and repeat the process on the 2nd huge enemy only here you have to start right, zoom left and work your way right slowly.
after the 1up you should have almost depleted gems and gold and be around 90-100mil in points.

3rd boss:
tap shot so it doesnt die too quick and depending on gems/gold either zeshikai or kakusei the 4th pattern (you dont even get to it if you just lazer the boss).
2nd form lazer it down, zeshikai/kakusei if you have any gems left.
3rd form lazer it down, no score to collect here. +100mil points

4th stage:
tap shot the popcorn enemies start stage, on the first wave of "trail" enemies switch to kakusei and lure them to the bottom of the screen before killing scoring maximum gold.
tap shot everything else untill the 2nd big enemy, go into zesshikai on its 2nd form and kill it, fly around from side to side in zesshikai hearding bullets carefully (tons of popcorn enemies makes it too easy to flood the screen) all the way untill you destroy the 3rd big enemy and all trail enemies, switch to kakusei to clear the screen and tap shoot all the popcorn enemies for maximum gems untill the midboss appears.
score gold on midboss 1st attack and lazer the 2nd (i have to use bomb on it, NASTY pattern!).
tap shot everything else up untill the 2nd medium tank is destroyed then switch over to zeshikai, take down the first wave of trail-leaving enemies then use the soldiers and turrets as much as possible to get the multiplier to x500 and then just weave from left to right at the bottom of the screen killing trail enemies as late as possible for massive points, if youre good you come to the boss with around 0 gems, 200 gold and +200mil score.

4th boss:
1st form lazer death
2nd form lazer death (maybe kakusei if you need gold)
3rd form lazer death (maybe kakusei if you need gold)
4th form, yup you guessed it, lazer death.
5th form, destroy the sides and try to survive long enough to be able to zeshikai it to death for massive points.

stage 5: build gems, kakusei the 1st "large" enemy with low health and swirly pattern for gold, depending on gems zesshikai the 6-8 spread shooting enemies that follow (kill off the first two if low on gems), quite lenient to clear the screen here as there is tons of popcorn enemies afterwards swirling around so a quick switch to kakusei sorts the mess out.
Build gems, if in need of gold and have an abundance of gems kakusei the needle pattern of the "huge enemy" before the decent.
start the decent in the upper left corner and depending on how many gems make sweeping moves in a Z fashion across the whole screen untill you can switch to zesshikai, switch to kakusei just in time so you can cancel the massive ammount of suicide bullets on the 1st popcorn enemy to appear from the right.
dont really have a good stategy for the right scrolling section so just try and build gems and gold for the boss.

boss 5: terrible at this boss but try to zesshikai all forms as theyre worth big cash money!

stage 6: survive to my best ability, full gems/gold for the loli section usually brings big score.

boss 6: lazer death if you even get to it.

my top scores (after boss) using this method:
stage 1 - 34mil
stage 2 - 79mil
stage 3 - 128mil
stage 4 - 209mil
Last edited by sven666 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 8 times in total.
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

TLB wrote:You also have to wait until the mast (or whatever that is) of the first ship is partly scrolled off-screen before destroying it.

Demonstration.

I'm not so sure about the mast thing. I've been able to destroy it immediately and still get the fountain. I think it wasn't destroyed until the end because the player Zesshikai'd at the beginning of the stage and left it alive to gather gems before it scrolled off screen.

Anyone know what determines whether gold or gems spilled from the fountain? Is it dependent on your stock of gem or gold, or some other variable?

Also, Is there any easy strategy for the 3rd bosses last pattern? I've been tinkering around staying in the bottom corners and in the middle of her shitstorm, but neither strategy is working well for me. I'm avoiding using my guard barrier on her. I'm starting to think I should try to last as long as possible and tap the barrier, leaving just enough health to point blank for Gems.
Thoughts?

EPS21 wrote:Does anyone know how much more scoring potential there is when you fight shin seseri vs. normal (for arcade/360 mode)?
I know if you zesshikai at the right times on the 1st and last phases (going off what Yoz does in his replays) its pretty easy to get 50-60mil+ just off of those two, and maybe another 25mil if you time the 2nd phase right too.

I haven't even seen shin seseri in a normal run (just in practice mode) but how many more points can you get off of her, assuming you have the gold/gems to zesshikai all 3 phases? I wonder if its worth it to play earlier parts of the game safer just to ensure not dieing all the way up to her.

I'll also assume there is better scoring potential for her, since there must be some benefit to fighting her other than seeing some different patterns. Are there any good replays of someone scoring well on shin seseri? I've only checked out Yoz's so far.
Anyone got on answer to this?

Bosses are so fun in this game *_*
(or maybe i've been playing DFK too much)
lol
sven666

Post by sven666 »

mesh control wrote:
TLB wrote:

Also, Is there any easy strategy for the 3rd bosses last pattern? I've been tinkering around staying in the bottom corners and in the middle of her shitstorm, but neither strategy is working well for me. I'm avoiding using my guard barrier on her. I'm starting to think I should try to last as long as possible and tap the barrier, leaving just enough health to point blank for Gems.
Thoughts?
i always follow the 1st flower to the far right of the screen and stay there using a small circular motion. (height wise im somewhere in the middle between the bottom and the boss so i have plenty of space to dodge downwards aswell)

if you start right you move left to avoid the row of shots then move back in to the right behind it, using this technique you should be able to effectivley heard the pattern to get fairly big gaps between the rows of shots and easily navigate thru em..

if you stay far right the small flowers to the left go offscreen and you dont get any horisontal shots from that side.

obviously you can reverse all directions if you rather prefer dodging from the left side.. (for some reason i tend to prefer right?)
TLB

Post by TLB »

I think the difference between gold and gems depends on whether you kill the midboss in kakusei or something. I'm not at all sure.

The mast thing. Well, every time I did it with the mast partly off the screen, I got the fountain. Every time I didn't, I didn't get the fountain. It's probably totally possible that I could have met the actual condition(s) every single time I waited for the mast and not met the condition(s) every time I didn't wait for the mast.
marus

Post by marus »

Neither the mast thing or killing the boss in kakusei have anything to do with whether or not you get gems or gold from the fountain - I've done both and still gotten different results each time. I'm pretty sure it's just random.

However, waiting for the first ship to scroll partly off-screen before destroying it causes extra popcorn enemies to appear in parts of the stage. This makes gem collection much easier so I'd recommend doing it either way.
Gus

Post by Gus »

mesh control wrote:
EPS21 wrote:Does anyone know how much more scoring potential there is when you fight shin seseri vs. normal (for arcade/360 mode)?
I know if you zesshikai at the right times on the 1st and last phases (going off what Yoz does in his replays) its pretty easy to get 50-60mil+ just off of those two, and maybe another 25mil if you time the 2nd phase right too.

I haven't even seen shin seseri in a normal run (just in practice mode) but how many more points can you get off of her, assuming you have the gold/gems to zesshikai all 3 phases? I wonder if its worth it to play earlier parts of the game safer just to ensure not dieing all the way up to her.

I'll also assume there is better scoring potential for her, since there must be some benefit to fighting her other than seeing some different patterns. Are there any good replays of someone scoring well on shin seseri? I've only checked out Yoz's so far.
Anyone got on answer to this?

Bosses are so fun in this game *_*
(or maybe i've been playing DFK too much)
Unless you're going for a WR, probably not. Shin Seseri is way, way, harder to milk than regular Seseri and the difference in points only seems to come out to around 10-20m.
Siren2011
Banned User

Post by Siren2011 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rqRQkdCrIM

In the above video, the player starts out the first stage with 215 gems. :shock: How on earth is this even possible??
"Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die. Trapped in a moe~ existence"
TLB

Post by TLB »

Siren2011 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rqRQkdCrIM

In the above video, the player starts out the first stage with 215 gems. :shock: How on earth is this even possible??
In arcade mode/PCB, wait through the tutorial until there is a wall of popcorn that the demonstration begins to destroy. You may have to work on the timing, but if you begin the game while this is going on, you get tons of extra gems.
Siren2011
Banned User

Post by Siren2011 »

Wow, that makes sense! Thanks! :D
"Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die. Trapped in a moe~ existence"
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

how's your progress coming, Siren?
lol
Gus

Post by Gus »

mesh control wrote:how's your progress coming, Siren?
How's your progress going?
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

Serious answer:

I've been working all week and been too tired to play (or i've been drunk). I'm cleaning today and waiting to go to the post office. Going to throw a few credit in until then and try to no-miss the stage 3 boss. That's my current goal. When I was on acid last weekend, I broke my best. It was barely into the 100 millions, but whatever.
I still haven't watched your replay. :(

I was just curious how Siren was doing, he mentioned he didn't want to credit feed through the game because it would spoil the game for him.
lol
Gus

Post by Gus »

Minor correction to the clear bonus thing. I was browsing the wiki and it says that clearing with max barrier gets you a 16m bonus, not just 10m. Also it doesn't have to be max barrier to still get a bonus as I managed to pull in around a 10m bonus with a 75% barrier in that 672m run I did. On side note I know it's an old game not many people have played seriously but it would still be pretty awesome if some more of the info on there got translated and put in here. They seem to have some great info on scoring in the stages.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

since youre almost the top western scorer, mind sharing some of your stage scoring info Gus ? stage 5 and 6 i would love to know about (see my "guide" above) since i havent been able to form any good ones myself.. and ofcourse if im missing any good scoring opportunities on the others?

ive just started to realise having alot of gold is quite useless in this game (while it was crucial in the 1st) and gems are much more important.
Gus

Post by Gus »

It feels like I always say this but you would probably be best off just watching the replay from YOZ that is on Youtube and seeing how much of it you can do and trying to find easier ways to do the stuff you can't. If you're ending stage 4 with 200m then there's loads of scoring opportunities you're missing out on and it would take me a long time to list them all. The beauty of the game is really in the freedom it gives you to come with scoring strategies that suit your ability. But just to give you a few hints

Stage 5: Your route for the stage section looks good but half of my score comes entirely from Seseri. Basically to milk her regular version just dodge the first 2 attacks, stop shooting at the 3rd and safespot the 4th while again, not shooting then start shooting again once she loops back to her first and Zesshi the looped 2nd attack. It's really hard to normally milk her 2nd phase and even YOZ botched it but since you get a bomb refill right before the fight as soon as you finish her first phase and get out of Zesshi go into barrier and hold until the shoots around 5 rounds of shots at you. You'll do more damage than if you just held laser the whole time and you'll be able to Zesshi her 3rd attack. Last phase is simple, dodge the first round for a bit, then bomb and wait for the screen to fill with bullets again and Zesshi.

Stage 6: A really brutal stage, but also one with loads of scoring potential. I haven't pulled it off in a run yet but my ideal route is pretty similar to what YOZ does. Main things to note are that if you used Kakusei in the horizontal scrolling part of Stage 5 and didn't die on Seseri you'll have enough gold to just be able to stay in normal for the beginning section. Also I've never been able to keep both hands of the first mid-boss alive so I like to just Kakusei one of them during its 2nd attack. Lastly, since it took me a while to figure out it's worth noting that you can only damage the hands of the 2nd mid-boss in its first and last attacks.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

i have shitty memory so watching superplays isnt that helpfull to me, Ive watched the DVD a few times but just go into overload trying to decipher all the strategies...

thanx for the tips tho, didnt know the 2hands midboss thing :)
sven666

Post by sven666 »

has anyone else playing this on PCB noticed any bugs?

i swear sometimes the game only gives you "small" gems (most evident on the popcorn enemies before the 3rd midboss..

also a few times i have had random popcorn-kamikaze enemies spawn in stage 2 after the midboss section?
Gus

Post by Gus »

also a few times i have had random popcorn-kamikaze enemies spawn in stage 2 after the midboss section?
If you mean ones immediately after the mid-boss, yeah, I've had them show up a few times. I think it's only if you kill it really fast.
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

I saw one of those take a stock away from EPS21 in Seattle. It was no fun.

As far as glitches, I haven't noticed anything at all, especially in regards to the 3rd Midboss.

I no longer have the PCB so I can't test anything now.
lol
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I asked blackoak to translate the ESPGALUDA II Omake! instructions from the 360 manual (my photo: http://emphatic.se/omake.jpg) and here it is (I did a couple of small changes as blackoak's not yet played ESPGALUDA II.

Omake - Espgaluda II

Controls

A button: Tapping fires shot. Holding down fires laser attack.
B Button: Switches in and out of Kakusei mode when pressed. If the auto barrier is deployed (you run into a bullet), pressing B will fire the guard attack.
X Button: Auto-fire while pressed down.

In Omake mode, Training, Replays, and Rankings are not available.

Game Introduction

* Kakusei Bullet Cancel

When you have partially or completely filled the Kakusei counter and enter into Kakusei mode, bullets (red colored) near your ship will be erased. They will not turn into items.

* During non-Kakusei

When you have killed an enemy, enemy bullets (red colored) that are near your ship will change into items.

-When the gold counter is not 1000, bullets will change into large green spirit (seireiseki) gems.
-When the gold counter is at 1000, bullets will change into gold.

* During Kakusei

Bullets fired by enemies that you destroy will be cancelled (the same as original Galuda 2). When you kill an enemy while in Kakusei mode, a gauge will appear around your ship, and while the gauge is present bullets (red colored) near your ship will be cancelled. They will not turn into items.

* Novice Zesshikai

When the Kakusei counter is at 500 and the gold counter is at 1000, you can enter into Novice Zesshikai mode. When you kill an enemy during Novice Zesshikai mode, a gauge will appear around your ship, and while the gauge is present bullets (red colored) near your ship will change into gold. When your Kakusei counter goes lower than 300, Novice Zesshikai mode will end, and you will return to normal Kakusei mode.

* Guard Barrier Restore

When your gold counter reaches 1000, your guard barrier gauge will be restored by 50%. If you cancel enemy bullets with the guard barrier, they will turn into green gems (seireiseki).

During non-Kakusei: medium gems
During Kakusei: small gems

[[this chart is on the bottom right, and i assume this refers to the type of gems released when cancelling bullets from a guard barrier attack]]

END OF TRANSLATION - Huge thanks to blackoak for unearthing another piece of the Omake! scoring puzzle!

My thoughts:

Too bad it doesn't discuss the BIG COUNTER, but maybe there aren't any special tricks to raise it besides killing lots of stuff and cancelling as many bullets as possible? Also, do you need to hold down the Kakusei button to enter Novice Zesshikai or will a simple tap do it when you've reached 1000 gold and 500 gems, sorta like the Fever mode in DeathSmiles?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Excellent work blackoak and emphatic! :D

Yeah only a simple tap is required. Get the 1000 gem/500 gold, switch to Kakusei, those Zesshikai wing thingys automatically appear.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

:D
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Now if only GP linked that info in the first post.