Weightlifting/exercise thread

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
mesh control

Weightlifting/exercise thread

Post by mesh control »

Anyone here have a consistent exercise routine?
I usually cycle 6-7 hours a week, but haven't been able to get an hours worth of time in due to travelling. Have a couple of dumbbells in my room that I usually do motions with ever night.

Fuck all your high scores. Talk about your manly accomplishments here.

lol
mesh control

Re: Weightlifting/exercise thread

Post by mesh control »

or just post hokuto no ken pictures :3
lol
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

I hike up fucking mountains; but you already knew that.

Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
xbl0x180

Post by xbl0x180 »

I sit all day and lay down all night. I think I got sciatica from all that [in]action 8)
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Been doing 40-50 laps in the pool in my apt. complex every other day.
Haven't gone for the last 3 days though, it's either rained or I've felt lazy as fuck...
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

I have a steel pipe (a.k.a. pull-up bar) securely mounted in a hallway. In addition to the obvious uses, it is good for the ultimate "inclined" sit-up (hanging with one`s legs wrapped around the bar). Sometimes I lift old car batteries that have handles on them (they`re about 35lbs each). Once I ran down my street which is a mile all down hill. My ankles were sore for four days. That`s about it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

To avoid becoming the numa numa guy in my old age I've done a bit of free weights for the last few years. Got a squat rack+bench and about 350lbs of free weights in the box room upstairs, I try to do 45 minutes M/W/F without killing myself.

I'm thinking of joining my university's gym next school year so my muscly college bros can spot for me :oops: edit: This is what it'll look like in the gym when I hit a 400lbs squat @ 170lbs bodyweight:

Last edited by BIL on Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
1up

Post by 1up »

I'm trying to get back in the groove. haven't had a steady workout routine for years. It kinda fell apart after the move, new job and a kid. I have about 1 hour a day the first 3 days of the week. I go to a gym thats close to work, and I squeese in the hour of excercise before I go home. I found that if I listen to music and don't talk to anyone I can get a lot out of that hour.

mondays I do 3 excercises for chest, 2 for triceps, 3 for abs and do 30min cardio on a crosstrainer
tuesdays I do 2 excercises for shoulders, 2 for neck and 30min cardio on a bike
wednesdays I do 3 excercises for back, 2 for biceps, 3 for abs and do 30min cardio on a crosstrainer

in the weekends I want to go out for a run, but haven't been able to drag myself outside yet. :oops:

My biggest problem is my diet. I just can't seem to NOT put unhealthy things in my mouth. Love candybars and soda. Im trying to set rules that I only eat that shit on weekends but I have no discipline in that department.

currently at 179cm tall and 83kg. Fat percentage is 20%
DragonInstall

Post by DragonInstall »

Put in about 1-2 hours of exercise a day. Weight lifting running pullups...

My body looks pretty toned because of that, but I think it takes some serious effort to get something like Rambo status lol.
Espgaluda III needs to happen.
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

I do the Rocky IV training montage every morning...
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

:lol:
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Post by O. Van Bruce »

Shoud we fill these thread with Cho-something pictures Cuilan?

Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I got a few friends into kettle bells recently. Once you get the movement technique down, you can exorcise while watching TV or whatever, so it literally takes no extra time out of the day.

Other than that, I do a set of pullups every day (leaving the bar up is a good reminder), and rotate lifting and jogging.

Hans and Franz, pump you up!
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
moh

Post by moh »

I lift every other day, mostly upper body. I rotate between abs/back and chest/bicep/tricep.
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Went back to the gym a month ago, I'm doing a 3-day-per-week routine. Over there I do a 5-minute warmup on the treadmill, stretch, lift weights (arm exercises on mondays and fridays, leg exercises on wednesdays), do sit-ups, then finish with a 15-minute run on the treadmill.

Once I get back home, I complement my routine with grippers, push-ups (when I worked the legs at the gym) and squats (when I worked the arms at the gym). I also have a pull-up bar but I'm not strong enough to do a single pull yet.

I'm focusing more on developing cardio rather than muscles, so I plan to increase my treadmill time and start using jump ropes at some point.
Last edited by Ruldra on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Jeneki wrote:I got a few friends into kettle bells recently. Once you get the movement technique down, you can exorcise while watching TV or whatever, so it literally takes no extra time out of the day.
Yes! Kettle bells are where its at! I don't really work out anymore, since I stopped training, but I still ride 30km a day(minimum) on my bike to and from work.

I keep meaning to get back to doing my Thai cardio stuff and hit the kettle bells, but I'm so busy these days it's hard to find time. I should just do it in the morning, but ya....
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

12 miles on a stationary bike daily.. Elliptical machine if my back doesn't hurt.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

jonny5 wrote:e its at! I don't really work out anymore, since I stopped training, but I still ride 30km a day(minimum) on my bike to and from work.

I keep meaning to get back to doing my Thai cardio stuff and hit the kettle bells, but I'm so busy these days it's hard to find time. I should just do it in the morning, but ya....
yeah I have contemplated them, it's just that the default starting point of first exercise (a kinda horse stance with the kettle bell on the grounf behind your heels) seems like there no way my cardboard back could handle that, then again obviously there are plenty of other exercises I could be doing with them o_O
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

Ruldra wrote:
Once I get back home, I complement my routine with grippers, push-ups (when I worked the
yeah grippers are great I always do them in between weights 'sets' - someday I intend to get one of those 5 springs attached to a square frame things for practicing my Tiger's Claw haha - well just cause you'd feel SO like a training montage from a classic Golden Harvest Kung Fu film :p
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Raytrace wrote:
jonny5 wrote:e its at! I don't really work out anymore, since I stopped training, but I still ride 30km a day(minimum) on my bike to and from work.

yeah I have contemplated them, it's just that the default starting point of first exercise (a kinda horse stance with the kettle bell on the grounf behind your heels) seems like there no way my cardboard back could handle that, then again obviously there are plenty of other exercises I could be doing with them o_O
Not sure what you mean by default starting point? There any number of exercises you can do with kettle bells. Shit, just lift 'em over your head like you are making a snow angel and hold em there for a few and repeat, use 'em with situps holding them on your chest, anything really. If your back can't handle it, start with smaller kettle bells and get your core strength up, then move up to heavier weights.

Also, never discount things like crunches, planks, pushups, leg raises, etc. You don't necessarily need weights unless you want to beef up; if you are just looking for strength, your own body weight is more than enough.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

So for those trying to beef up, what are you using for extra protein? (other than PS2 Cho Aniki)

I've been replacing a meal with MET_Rx Big-100 bars, cause Walmart has them cheap. I'd like to try something with less sugar and junk in it though. I also take a protein powder shake after a workout, usually whatever is on sale such as Myoplex.

You too can be as manly as Mari:

More Hanz and Franz quotes: "I will wring out my shirt into a glass after a long, hard workout and make you drink it. With nooo iccce."
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

jonny5 wrote:
Not sure what you mean by default starting point? There any number of exercises you can do with kettle bells. Shit, just lift 'em over your head like you are making a snow angel and hold em there for a few and repeat, use 'em with situps holding them on your chest, anything really. If your back can't handle it, start with smaller kettle bells and get your core strength up, then move up to heavier weights.

Also, never discount things like crunches, planks, pushups, leg raises, etc. You don't necessarily need weights unless you want to beef up; if you are just looking for strength, your own body weight is more than enough.
well I looked through quite few vids about them and people who were doing 'traditional' Russian stuff or whatever always seemed to start from that position in most of the stuff, but yes obviously you wouldn't have to.

Yeah no about my back seriously - it is beyond it like I've tried everything - basically there are just certain forms of movements I'm just not going to do ever again pretty much as the second I do them - BOOM! it's gone :s - I've even done pilates ffs ( (*^_^*) ) - I also practice Yang Long Form TaiJiJuan sometimes and even parts of that will hurt my back - well specifically 'Embrace the Tiger and Return to Mountain'.

Basically a lifetime of bad posture has made my back very bad and Tae Kwon Do wrecked it too. So basically at this stage I just try to only do exercises that dont contain ANY of the movements that hurt me, because I'm an idiot and I know that once I'm warmed up and think I'm 'feeling good' I'll go too far and wreck it again hahah
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Jeneki wrote:So for those trying to beef up, what are you using for extra protein? (other than PS2 Cho Aniki)

I've been replacing a meal with MET_Rx Big-100 bars, cause Walmart has them cheap. I'd like to try something with less sugar and junk in it though. I also take a protein powder shake after a workout, usually whatever is on sale such as Myoplex.
Make sure you inform yourself with a doctor before taking any supplements, those things often contain substances that can be hazardous to your health. I've heard quite a number of stories about people taking them and feeling heart aches, heat strokes and other shit afterwards. Far too many gym coaches out there are quick to recommend them like it's healthy food when they're more like medications.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
moh

Post by moh »

Ruldra wrote:
Jeneki wrote:So for those trying to beef up, what are you using for extra protein? (other than PS2 Cho Aniki)

Make sure you inform yourself with a doctor before taking any supplements, those things often contain substances that can be hazardous to your health. I've heard quite a number of stories about people taking them and feeling heart aches, heat strokes and other shit afterwards. Far too many gym coaches out there are quick to recommend them like it's healthy food when they're more like medications.
I took a course on weight training science, and we were advised to never take supplements without first consulting a doctor. the only time you should ever take a supplement is when you have a protein deficiency. "extra protein" isn't always what you want. As long as you're getting enough protein in your diet, that will be the healthiest and safest way to gain muscle mass.
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

moh wrote:
Ruldra wrote:

I took a course on weight training science, and we were advised to never take supplements without first consulting a doctor. the only time you should ever take a supplement is when you have a protein deficiency. "extra protein" isn't always what you want. As long as you're getting enough protein in your diet, that will be the healthiest and safest way to gain muscle mass.
yeah I think also deer meat and salmon or something contain loads of natural creatine...
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Last year was a series of major setbacks. Evil Ex, Black March, my dog biting my fuckin' hand.

So. Projecting to have a 200lb press in a year. Yet again.

The intermediate phase is so much fun.
jonny5 wrote:Also, never discount things like crunches, planks, pushups, leg raises, etc. You don't necessarily need weights unless you want to beef up; if you are just looking for strength, your own body weight is more than enough.
Situps are useless. If wiggling something against the air was what it took to be strong, every man that jacks off would have one ginormous superhuman arm and one teeny tiny one.

Your own body weight is insufficient. If you can air squat, air squats are useless.
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Back in the day, Herschel Walker supposedly got into the shape he was in just by doing body weight exercises. He could just be a genetic freak, though.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I wouldn't call running around with tires strapped to yourself pure bodyweight.

It's like Mas Oyama. Dude went into the mountains for years to do nothing else than push ups, sitting under waterfalls, and jumping over shrubs. Herschel did thousands of push ups, sit ups, and an ~8 mile run a day, every day. And still felt his training hit a wall and needed the bar to progress eventually.

That's what I have against bodyweight routines. The only vector you have in front of you to progress is making each session longer and longer. If you want to get strong, the time investment in just eating is already pretty thick. 5 hours of push ups, sit ups, and sprinting is not possible unless it's your entire life.

It's very important to me that I stress he isn't just flopping at a slow sluggish jog for those 8 miles, he's going nearly full out. Too many people look at their running as if it's just some dumb quota and that running 8 miles slow will magically get you to run 8 miles fast or something.

I think it's kind of funny Herschel eats all his stuff in one huge sitting like a snake at the end of the day. Because I totally understand; it is easy to squeeze your guts out.
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
drauch

Post by drauch »

HELL YEAH.

I go to the gym 5 times a week. Cardio is for COWARDS. Getting huge is where it's at.

I usually do some shit like:

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Back
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: Shoulders/Traps
Day 5: Tris/Bis

Usually do some bullshit situps and like 10 minutes of light cardio (boring) before each workout. I try and switch up my routines every once and awhile as well.

GET SWOLE.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
drauch

Post by drauch »

And yeah, it's all about your fuckin' diet if you wanna look like Rambo. If you eat dog shit all day and do tons of cardio it's still gonna be hard to get toned up unless you have weird metabolism (which will probably go away at some point) or you've got some fucked up genetics. I eat pretty damn well but I splurge too much, plus I'm trying to gain mass, so it'll be a long time (never) before I look like Rambo.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla