The Super Famicom / SNES Thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
blizzz

The Super Famicom / SNES Thread

Post by blizzz »

I think it might be a good idea to gather all SNES related information in one thread instead of spreading it over several other threads (like XRGB-mini, SC-500N1 etc).

I'll start with the noise problem on my SFC. I recently bought a Monster S-Video cable to compare S-Video vs RGB and to check if the noise is also visible with S-Video. And it turns out that it does, so I assume a pure sync RGB cable won't fix my problems. Using the same cable on my PAL console comes out without noise.

SFC S-Video: http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5346 ... 165716.png
SFC RGB: http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/175/am ... 171330.png
PAL SNES S-Video: http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7393 ... 171037.png
Bonus: GV-USB2 S-Video: http://blog-imgs-46-origin.fc2.com/a/m/ ... 9231a9.png

I'm using an Ansmann APS1500 as a PSU for my SFC with 9V output instead of 10V. Do you have any advice for a good PSU, preferably one that fits a German power socket.
Fudoh

Re: The Super Famicom / SNES Thread

Post by Fudoh »

I use a Voltcraft PSU, also 1500mA, also 9V. From Conrad, a little more expensive than yours, but basically the same as yours. I would be surprised if yours was to bad that it introduced the interference.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Its just the particular SFC revision you have. Power supply or different cables won't fix it.

I tested a S23897463 (SNS-CPU-RGB-01) and it similar artifacts. :|
Stainomo

Post by Stainomo »

I had some issues with my snes - some noise in the sound and some checkerbox effect on big surfaces. Tried 3 ebay cables scart cables(2 snes ones and a converted gamecube cable) and 2 different scart to RGBs + L/R sound cables. Nothing solved this.

Today i got a second snes and i made a RGB cable out of 2 stereo/composite cables, added 75 ohm resistors between rgb and ground.

Bingo - checkerbox effect is gone, there is still some noise but a lot less and it's always the same (50hz maybe). Perfect! I ordered a pal gamecube RGB cable of gamecube, going to remove the condensators and then i'll have a nice shielded snes scart cable!
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

RGB32E wrote:Its just the particular SFC revision you have. Power supply or different cables won't fix it.

Hmm :/ So RGB-01 and APU-01 are bad revisions? Maybe I'll look for an S252... SFC then, that should be 1CHIP-01 or -02, right? 10-40€ plus 30€ shipping for a different console revision are a bit annoying though...
darthcloud

Post by darthcloud »

blizzz wrote:
RGB32E wrote:Its just the particular SFC revision you have. Power supply or different cables won't fix it.

Hmm :/ So RGB-01 and APU-01 are bad revisions? Maybe I'll look for an S252... SFC then, that should be 1CHIP-01 or -02, right? 10-40€ plus 30€ shipping for a different console revision are a bit annoying though...
My APU-01 is the worst looking of my 4 SNES version I have IIRC.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Today i got a second snes and i made a RGB cable out of 2 stereo/composite cables, added 75 ohm resistors between rgb and ground.
The issue with a lot of SNES SCARTS does seem to be down to shielding/grounding. I think retro_accessories explained it somewhere (maybe the Framemeister thread) but most 3rd party cables don't have adequate grounding.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Stainomo

Post by Stainomo »

Shielding probably, i had 3 cables and each cable was about as thick as 2 cables from a composite video cable together. While building my own from 2 nintendo cables i made sure i attached all the cable shieding to the ground!

A Gamecube RGB cable should have decent shielding - althought i don't really need it anymore, bit silly of me :)
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

@darthcloud I found a higher SN than the highest Japanese SN in your list: S2524396.

Are there any news on the 1CHIP-03 that someone from this board bought last month?
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Bought another SFC, this time hopefully a 1CHIP with the SN S25110011 for $48 incl. controllers, power plug and some games. :D
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

I went to the "Hauptzollamt" myself today to speed up the procedure a bit and got my new SFC. SN is 25110011, which gave me hopes for a 1CHIP-01. In fact it's even a 1CHIP-02 :D I didn't do any extensive captures yet, but it looks sick on my LCD with the Cinemateq Picture Optimizer + SLG3000 combo. It's so much sharper than my other SFC (248...) and has nearly no noise at all, enabling noise filter in the PO removes it completely. And there is no vertical bar :D
On the SC-500N1 it looks just like an emulator, no noise, perfect sharpness, wow.

My goal last year was to get something that allows me to play SNES on my LCD on a level that's not much worse than my old CRT TV. Now I ended up with something that's far superior. Thanks to Fudoh, fagin, darthcloud and everyone else who contributes to this awesome forum.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

APU-01

1CHIP-02

Both images are captured with the SC-500N1 and the same PSU, RGB cable etc.
fagin

Post by fagin »

What's the name of that game (I can't remember)?

I'll do the same with my launch JAP SNES and the Startech card for comparison.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

fagin wrote:What's the name of that game (I can't remember)?
I'll do the same with my launch JAP SNES and the Startech card for comparison.
KiKi KaiKai: Nazo no Kuro Manto / Pocky & Rocky.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

And another one: My modded PAL SNES. One of the screws is broken, so I can't open it anymore to determine the revision. The only thing I know is that due to the nature of the mod it's not a 1CHIP.

(Bonus: same as above but with wrong resistors in the cable, 220Ω instead of 75Ω on the colour ground lines. Don't buy your cable from an "expert"...)
fagin

Post by fagin »

Of course.... I had that name in the back of my mind.

Anyway.....

As I thought.... my launch JDM SNES isn't going anywhere. Not quite as good as the 1chip, but **** me, it's a nats cock off. The main thing is that the pixels are nice and sharp.

blizzz

Post by blizzz »

fagin wrote:As I thought.... my launch JDM SNES isn't going anywhere. Not quite as good as the 1chip, but **** me, it's a nats cock off. The main thing is that the pixels are nice and sharp.
Yea, that's perfectly fine and a lot better than my two non-1CHIPs.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Another japanese SFC entry for the 1-Chip list:

Quality is nice, but is has a very slight light vertical bar. I recently had a S19xxxxx SFC and it was terrible in comparison, so when I first tried the above 1Chip I thought it didn't have the vertical bar, but it does. It's not really visible on static images, and only hardly with a bright JnR like Mario World, but it's there and it's visibile with darker/brownish scrolling backgrounds.

This makes me wonder if there are any JAPANESE 1Chip units without this vertical bar ? Are there any confirmed japanese 1Chip-02 units ? Blizzz: what about yours ? Easiest to check is Mario World. Increase the brightness of your TV (or on the XRGB) until black is dark grey and then just pay attention to the black-transition when you enter a level (you can leave a level by pressing select when paused, so you can repeat this over and over).

Ok, now my quest to get an bar-less american 1Chip-02.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

There's a noticeable bar in the opening of Final Fantasy VI on my 1CHIP-02 (when the whole screen is full of greyish clouds). I guess you could see it on other games too if you turn up the brightness. Other than that it's really awesome.
darthcloud

Post by darthcloud »

I've updated the list btw with info from this thread and others. Didn't follow forum much this summer ;)

Also I've got confirmation of the 1CHIP-03 over assemblergames:
antron

Post by antron »

It'd be cool if someone made a list of the serial #'s with ENC video chips, that can output native component.
darthcloud

Post by darthcloud »

I've finaly found a 1CHIP-03!! UN321907569

Don't know if it's only mine but it doesn't output CSYNC, which is quite annoying since I've swapped all my cable to use that ^^.
Will check this weekend to what happened to the sync line.

Anyway, I've reswaped sync on one of my cable and the results is that the video quality identical to my 1CHIP-01.
I still see the ghosting I was seeing in SMW but that's ok, 1CHIPs look good in most condition.

I guess there is no perfect SNES ;)
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

Hmm, so there's no point me going after a SuFami Jr? :lol: