NG Dev Team announce GunLord for Neo-Geo and Dreamcast

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Jon

Re: NG Dev Team announce GunLord for Neo-Geo and Dreamcast

Post by Jon »

^^^The Dragon Box also includes the regular edition of the game. Would've much preferred them leaving out the extra copy while keeping everything else and lowering the price a bit. :?
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

The Dragon Box contains:

Regular edition (game)
Limited edition (game + soundtrack)
3 stickers
Cardboard slipcase *
Postcard *
3 posters *

* exclusive to this edition

So technically the comparison is with the double pack, meaning a 31 Euro difference.

After seeing Fast Striker with posters on ebay and no clue as to where the posters came from (I pre-ordered the LE quite early on), I decided it was worth the slightly retarded concept of having two copies of the same game.

Yeah I was a little disappointed the thing came in the jiffy bag, but there was just a wee ding to the corner which frankly I've had with off the shelf and Amazon stuff.

Getting settled with it now - worked out late yesterday that it had autofire (RTFM) and kept forgetting about the smart bombs. Ended up owned by stage 3's boss (like 7 lives worth of owning) after killing it 2nd/3rd attempt first time around yesterday. D'oh. Also made it to the stage 5 boss yesterday, not stage 4. Stage 4's boss is dead easy!
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Just played for an hour and got to the stage 3 boss at least. Really nice game so far, having a lot of fun. The only thing that bugs me is that these items dropped by enemies in the shmup stage just fall down. How are you supposed to get them?
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Jon wrote:^^^The Dragon Box also includes the regular edition of the game. Would've much preferred them leaving out the extra copy while keeping everything else and lowering the price a bit. :?
So... there's no actual difference in disc content? The only difference is the box art between the regular edition and LE edition?

That doesn't make any sense... unless you were going to flog the regular disc out of it - but then you would have a missing space in your boxset. :idea:

I think the reg. LE is the one for me. NG:Dev's soundtracks are invariably very good, so I think an extra 10 euro for the OST is probably money well spent.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: After seeing Fast Striker with posters on ebay and no clue as to where the posters came from (I pre-ordered the LE quite early on), I decided it was worth the slightly retarded concept of having two copies of the same game.
Fast Striker had posters? Any details on these?
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
TransatlanticFoe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fast-Striker- ... 4845942f0f

No idea where he got them from, but that guy has had three auctions up for ages which include posters.
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

mrsmiley381 wrote:
TransatlanticFoe wrote: After seeing Fast Striker with posters on ebay and no clue as to where the posters came from (I pre-ordered the LE quite early on), I decided it was worth the slightly retarded concept of having two copies of the same game.
I got these posters with my Fast Striker MVS kit. But they are not as big as those in that auction.
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

So, this is basically a Turrican clone but with less inspiring and underwhelming music.
But then again, Chris Huelsbeck is unparalleled in that department.

Its interesting they'll be releasing this on AES /MVS hardware. I wonder who'll be building those custom made carts with USB slots for them?!
Saint Dragon - AMIGA - Jaleco 1989

"In the first battle against the Guardian's weapons, created with Vasteel Technology, humanity suffered a crushing defeat."
Thunder Force V
TransatlanticFoe

Final boss is pretty tense but I just nailed him. All in one credit too (credit fed to him yesterday but died horribly), thanks to a bunch of extends in the first few levels leaving me with plenty in hand to cover my inexperience at the later levels. Wishing for old-school Turrican no hit invinciblity on the acid pipe level - hit and knocked into the acid for instant death a couple of times!

Would've liked a few more bosses in there. After stage 5's boss there's nothing until the final boss :(

I assume the game completion % is based on your diamonds and extend percentages from the stages?
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Final boss is pretty tense but I just nailed him. All in one credit too
How long did you play on that 1cc credit? At the moment, I clock in about 20-30 minutes for the first level alone. Are later stages shorter?

Btw, is there some jumping trick I'm missing? There are a couple of places in stage one I think I should be able to reach, but I just can't, not even when using the hidden platforms.

Nice game. It has a few niggles, but overall, it's really fun.
TransatlanticFoe

About 80 minutes.

Only stages 7 and 8 are comparable to the large stages 1 and 3. 4 and 5 are quite straighforward stages, 6 is forced scrolling, 9 is a bit larger but linear and 10 is the final boss.

There are some areas you need to use enemies as a platform, so try not to be so trigger happy when approaching them. I've not managed any of the ones I've spotted without getting mullered by something else, getting frustrated or just outright killing them by accident. There's also a few secret areas it looks like you can get to from one place but actually the entry point is further on in the stage.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Since getting 100% is too easy, let's speedrun this game!

I did sub-20min earlier with some casual strategies. Clearing the game in 15mins should be possible with some tricks here and there.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

My fastest run is like 40 minutes. I like to take time and find all secrets. Just like the Turrican games...

By the way, does the Neo version have a score glitch or something? All the top 4 players at the online ranking have the exact same score. wtf
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Of course you can speedrun for two categories as usual: any% and 100%.

I'll focus on any% first just to see what the basic strategies are.
I like chocolate milk

Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Just got 19.06min any%.

Did a few mistakes here and there including some deaths. Nevertheless a solid run.
I like chocolate milk

PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

RaidenViper wrote:
mrsmiley381 wrote:
I got these posters with my Fast Striker MVS kit. But they are not as big as those in that auction.

Actually, there were three different mini posters that came with the LE MVS Fast Strikers kit, all the same size of course. I should know as I have them as well.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Sier

Post by Sier »

There's a follow & RT twitter competition to win Gunlord, well... the NGDT's DC newcomer bundle.
Runs through July & is open worldwide: http://twitter.com/#!/battleclubgming

Might be worth a shot for some freebies.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Got 17:03min any%.

Stage 1 was 2:20.
Did a major skip in stage 3.
Best stage 4 I've ever had, timer was 7:35 after the boss I think.
Stage 5 was a tad slower than average, same for stage 7.
Stage 8 is imo the hardest stage to speedrun and it was the only place where I did some horrible mistakes including two deaths.
Stage 9 and the last bossfight were okish again.
I like chocolate milk

louisg

Post by louisg »

Just got this for DC the other day. Hmmm, first impressions: It's mostly pretty good, but the collisions are definitely a bit wacky and it's not always easy to tell when you'll be hit. A good example is the st3 midboss (which I am stuck on)-- you've got enemies going through walls, which then in turn can hide shots. And, kind of like Turrican, I always feel like I'm playing defensively and not offensively because it's so easy to accidentally jump into an enemy (even one which is completely off screen at the time the jump was initiated). The play style often, like Turrican, ends up being take a few steps, shoot, take a few steps, use the snake beam, etc. Not helping matters is that I have noticed that enemies well off-screen can be active and shooting! I can't tell how much of this is just my TV's masking though-- that could be a good part of it.

One thing I do have to say in defense of Turrican's much-criticized hit system is that there is a serious advantage of it in this gameplay style. In Turrican, you take damage in proportion to how long you're exposed, so if you have good reflexes and move quickly you won't take many hits.

The art and music is excellent, and the level design is expansive and perfect for exploration. I've already found a few secrets and I'm sure there is a lot more I haven't seen.
ST Dragon wrote:So, this is basically a Turrican clone but with less inspiring and underwhelming music.
But then again, Chris Huelsbeck is unparalleled in that department.
I think the music is actually on-par with the original tunes.

BTW does anyone have any strategies for that st3 midboss I mentioned? I've been looking at playthroughs on YouTube, and the player seems to be camping out in places that don't seem available in the DC release (maybe?). I *have* found out that going onto the lower platforms (which look inviting) is a horrible mistake.
Humans, think about what you have done
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

louisg wrote:BTW does anyone have any strategies for that st3 midboss I mentioned? I've been looking at playthroughs on YouTube, and the player seems to be camping out in places that don't seem available in the DC release (maybe?). I *have* found out that going onto the lower platforms (which look inviting) is a horrible mistake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP_qF6WR ... age#t=274s

Did they remove some of the platforms in the DC version?
TransatlanticFoe

Took me ages to work out how to take the stage 3 midboss down.

Go into it with speadshot, that way you can always be damaging it.

Start off on the lowest platform (the big one) on the left and shoot it up close (crouch to get another stream of your spreadshot to hit it) until it starts to move towards you. Hop over to the lowest platform (another big one) on the right and continue to shoot it. It should raise up at this point and drop things - keep firing and you'll take them out along with their spiked projectiles. When it drops back down, your strategy should be get to the highest platform and shoot it a bit (you'll be out of range of his flamethrower), just watch for its bullets and projectiles so be ready with the laser. When it starts to rise up, make a big leap across the screen - don't worry, you'll be just in range of a lower platform on the other side. Get up onto the highest platform on that side and keep shooting. Wait until he starts to rise up towards you and jump across... repeat. Keep firing your spreadshot and you should be constantly damaging him, meaning he'll go down quickly.

The green spike shots will go through the platforms, so you may need to whip your laser out from time to time. Use a smartbomb if you need to. If you can one-life it this far, you'll have loads of 'em!
louisg

Post by louisg »

Transatlantic, hmmm thanks. Just tried it again, but it's not quite helping. The spread shot does make things better, but I still die after getting him down to about 1/3rd health. This is quite a difficulty spike from the last several *main* bosses, also considering that st3 seems like a generally easier level than st1 it's a bit out-of-nowhere. Europlatformer indeed.

EDIT: Got it! I still think that boss needs to be toned way down tho
Humans, think about what you have done
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

I got stuck there as well. I could make it to that boss without continuing then lose all my credits fighting him!

Awesome game so far, Love the graphics and music. Hopefully I can get to stage 4 this weekend.

Any way to gain more credits? I thought maybe we would unlock them as we play, but it doesn't seem that way.
TransatlanticFoe

Trust me, I hit the same brick wall when I started out with that boss. Once you get the hang of judging the jumps and his attack patterns, he's easy. Move too soon or hesitate too long and you're done for.

Stage 5 boss opens up a whole world of hurt when you first get to him. Was the same sudden spike until I tried going left not right - all the shit he spews later in the fight comes from the right, so you've plenty of time to laser it.

I haven't unlocked any more credits but once you sort out patterns for the bosses and locate a few extends, you won't need them. You get extra continues in-game though (I finished my 1CC with 6 spares) which I think are the pink power-ups.
ryu

Post by ryu »

does anyone know if the total control 3 adapter's vmu slot works with indie games? i know the dream connector doesn't. :?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

Finally got past that level 3 sub-boss. I've been too damn busy to play this week, hopefully I can get to level 4 or further over the weekend.

Great game, gotta keep bumpin this thread to motivate me!
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

When are the posters for the Dragon Box being sent out?

Any idea anyone?- I emailed NgGames- not had a reply yet....
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXiDHriOJUw

What the hell happened to "Bitches! Die in hell!"? :|
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

No, seriously, why are the NG and DC intros different?