RQ: Progear gem streaming

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Illyrian

RQ: Progear gem streaming

Post by Illyrian »

Hey all. So as the title says, I'm wondering how the whole gem streaming thing works.

Specifically:

How to trigger it, i.e. whether you specifically need to use laser or shot.

Also in the superplay I've got, once it starts happening the player seems to release all buttons and it just keeps happening without him firing.

I was wondsring how this works.

Many thanks!

(mod edit - prefixed thread title to match strategy forum guidelines)
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
shmuppyLove

Re: Progear gem streaming

Post by shmuppyLove »

I'm not an expert at Progear, but I've played it quite a bit and I believe I know how it works:

You'd have to be holding shot in order to trigger it, since that's how you cancel bullets into gems in the first place.

It's not really a "trick", it's just how the system works -- when you power up to diamond, the cancel radius is quite large. So any bullets near another bullet that is cancelled into a diamond also gets cancelled. This includes any new bullets that are fired.

Of course, understanding how it works, and knowing when and where it can be exploited and then actually triggering it at the right time are two completely different things.
jugemscloud

Re: Progear gem streaming

Post by jugemscloud »

as best i understand it - to get the really large streams its about learning the radii of each gem type combined with the enemy placement/bullet patterns and timings thoughout each level and your ship placement when activating and collecting the stream.

you release fire once the gems are activated (to begin sucking in jewels starting the conversion radius) this is where your ship placement comes into play. this is the trickiest part of getting the large streams - knowing when you have caught the sweet spot and releasing fire but keeping yourself safe. the large streams only work where there is a really concentrated set of fire from multiple enemies - bringing your ship placement and bullet herding into play. the conversion radius is from the bullets not your ship.

a good early example of enemies you could miss is in between the two large tanks of stage one whereby if you kill the first tank quick enough you will get another set of planes that will fire like the ones at the end of the level, but if your slow you might not get the same rate of fire from the planes or them to appear at all. its a balance between letting stuff build up to (potentially) rake in the points or to take stuff out quickly to get sets of enemies that wouldn't appear if your taking too long, or to put yourself in a better place for a large pattern or set piece that is going to come up.

its like most shooters once you get the enemy placement and bullet patterns down the cancelling becomes natural. try to always think about what smaller enemies are around as they are basically flak jackets there to take the heat from the big guys, and position them inbetween you and the big guys/large patterns.
Ruldra

Re: RQ: Progear gem streaming

Post by Ruldra »

Keep in mind that infinite streaming is only possible with diamonds. The stream will only go up to a certain point with the other jewels.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Awesome, thanks for the info guys.
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I was hanging out in various Progear streams and people were mentioning they were having trouble understanding how to score, as well as how the gem vacuum at the end of Stage 1 is done, so here's a video going over all of that as well as a few methods on how to setup gem vacuuming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vHl0XRY0WQ