The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
stryc9

Re: The Sega Megadrive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Post by stryc9 »

Kiken wrote:Don't forget that this version easily has the best revision of the soundtrack and it includes the fantastic time-attack mode.
Yeah I do recall all that, and the game is certainly one I'll be picking up anyway.

Checked out some Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan on YT in accordance with advice from this page and I wasn't disappointed.

If this is the third best beat 'em up on the system, I wanna know about it.

Graphically the game seemed a cut above other similar titles so I'm assuming it's a 24 or 32 meg cart, and the late release (1999) gets my juices flowing as well. Heard sound FX from SOR2 in there (the sword swing effect) but that's no bad thing at all.

What price points do these Chinese releases typically rest at? I'm assuming triple digits as I'm guessing these things are unlicensed...
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
louisg

Post by louisg »

stryc9 wrote:Checked out some Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan on YT in accordance with advice from this page and I wasn't disappointed.

If this is the third best beat 'em up on the system, I wanna know about it.
Wow, this is impressive stuff. I wonder how I didn't know about it. Definitely something to look into.

In the spirit of the Genesis thread, I picked up a few games fairly close to perfect condition (in box, except for Desert Strike) while I was on vacation: Sub-Terrania, Dynamite Heady, Desert Strike, Alien 3, and Thunder Fox. Of course this was before I heard the testimonials about Thunder Fox not being very good :) And I remembered it not being *great*. But I figure as a fan of games like that, I'll get a kick out of it (and how often do you see it with a box?).

Is WarpSpeed any good? The store has that in box also (along with dozens of others). I'll probably go back for more before I leave.
Humans, think about what you have done
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

WarpSpeed is a horrible game. I rented the SNES version way back when and it plays host to the slowest space dogfights ever. Your shots move so slowly that it's tricky to land hits unless you're right up behind an enemy.

X-Wing/TIE Fighter/Wing Commander is most certainly is not.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

RGC wrote:I'm toying with picking up II or IV, or perhaps Pier Solar instead, since that's now available at a more reasonable price. I'd probably get bored if there's loads of grinding. A little I can handle, though. :-)
Pier Solar can be beaten with zero grinding. plus it has a very good soundtrack. I need a new rf cable for my genesis though.
BIL

Post by BIL »

The MD port of Thunder Fox is poor, unfortunately. The loss of speed and fluidity from the AC ver, as well as several game elements that livened up its stages, leave it a slow and generic sidescroller. When I first played the arcade version it felt like it was running in fast-forward (grew up playing the port)! Now it's one of my favourites. Plays like Rolling Thunder + The Ninja Warriors, awesome stuff. It's in perfect form on Taito Memories II Gekan (PS2, NTSCJ exclusive) if that's of interest to anyone.

Does anyone know if the MD ports of Wardner and Dynamite Duke are worth picking up? Haven't played the AC versions of either - I'm fine with a degree of missing/altered content as long as the playability isn't a pale imitation of the original's (as with MD Thunder Fox).
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Can't be as bad as the cover...

Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

louisg wrote:I've noticed people getting nostalgic about the PS1/N64 generation-- and if you don't count all the import shmups, that generation was a disaster (imo)!
Hum, arcade ports alone (not just imports) were better than anytime before. We got Assault ported to a console and rather well at that - something I can't quite imagine occuring earlier gen. That game (and then some Namco classics) came out everywhere.
Then we got suff like Apocalypse (starring Bruce Willis), Omega Boost and Silent Bomber. Heck, I'm not aware of things getting kaboom like that in this gen games, let alone before. In Apocalypse dudes can run around screaming AFTER they lost upper bodies. This has to count for something.

On topic:
Chelnov (Atomic Runner) with the sorta-arcade-like settings (one button for fire, one for jump and one for switching directions is everything you're gonna need; auto-fire, however, is helpful).
Rocket Kinght Adventures (the differences between Japanese and American version are cosmetical).
Eliminate Down - enough said.

Whenever I play any MD game (emulated), it's usually one of the three mentioned above. Just enough for a "one sitting session". I'm also quite fond of Monster World IV, but it seems to be a game of many sessions.
Final Zone and Granada are better on Sharp X68000 (judging by emulation alright).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

RGC

Post by RGC »

:lol: that cover art!

Oi, watch where you're pointing that thing, mate. Eh, I'm over here!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

RGC wrote:Oi, watch where you're pointing that thing, mate.
Do you mean the massive glare spot? That thing hits you even when you're looking the other way!

With regards to Mystical Fighter, I wonder if the US version is fully intact (aside from the title and some minor text perhaps)? It may well be.
1KMS

Post by 1KMS »

Dynamite Duke is okay on MD, but get the Japanese version for the cybernetic Lundgren box art. Wardner is good, ported by Toaplan themselves I believe.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thanks (was gonna get the JP Duke anyway, haha - totally forgot about the ridiculous US/EU boxart). Wardner seems like a really solid conversion ala SameSameSame, Hellfire and Zero Wing. I know Tatsuya Uemura commented on how easy converting from their arcade hardware to MD was given the shared 6800 CPU. Snow Bros is on my list too.

edit: I think I'll refer to Same! Same! Same! as SammyDavisJunior from now on.
Last edited by BIL on Mon May 28, 2012 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Ruldra wrote:
Strider77 wrote:
I played Vectorman for the first time ever when I got the Ultimate Genesis Collection...didn't like it one bit. Especially hated the lack of autofire, my hands were sore after a while. I have no idea why it's considered a classic.
How far did you get?
I think it was stage 5 or 6 I couldn't get past. I kept playing until I got the game-related trophy (collect 500 orbs), after that I didn't touch the game again.

The sequel wasn't any good either.
I've checked out VM on numerous compilation packs, and could never figure out why anyone was that nuts about it. It's supposed to be the MD's answer to DKC, but it's really quite ugly, and simple looking.
Comix Zone also disappoints me. It could almost be one of those hidden gems, but you only have one freaking life! The gameplay could also use some tweaking. It looks GREAT, but the designs are SO early nineties comics(Image). I remember that time well, but it's not one that has aged well.

Oh, I'd like to recommend Ghouls N' Ghosts(Dai Makaiura). You gotta have the spirit though. It's tough.
louisg

Post by louisg »

I've checked out VM on numerous compilation packs, and could never figure out why anyone was that nuts about it. It's supposed to be the MD's answer to DKC, but it's really quite ugly, and simple looking.
In other words, exactly like DKC! (ta-boom tssch!)
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Yeah, they're both pretty blah games for different reasons. One thing that really bothered me about Vectorman was the icky combination of the fast character speed and generally large sprites with the fact that it's a shooter. I recall there being a fair few blind jumps as well, but I may be misremembering.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

One thing I dislike about Alien Soldier - it's like a late handheld game, graphically. EVERYTHING seems as big as it possibly can, even insects and the likes look bigger than in "normal" console games of the time. There's no pixel micro art at all (like in Walker or Sqoon), whereas in Gunstar Heroes is rather a lot. Remember Minion Soldier? The game turned YOU into a big boss, better than SotC I might add. Alien Soldier does nothing of the sort.
The way out is cut off

Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Final Zone and Granada are better on Sharp X68000 (judging by emulation alright).
I don't think there's a single X68000 Wolf Team game that wound up better on other platforms, other than the nice MCD treatment of Sol-Feace.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

ToeJam & Earl if you're into roguelikes and co-op (I guess).
The way out is cut off

Marc

Post by Marc »

I always loved MD Midnight Resistance. Beautiful conversion with ace music. E-swat crapped all over the arcade game and the tunes were immense - apart from the second round which was horrid. Always found it weird how MD never got an R-Type or Gradius tho. Hell, Thundercross was a perfect candidate.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

There's a problem with MD E-SWAT though - few people figured out how to get through the barriers at the prison level.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Ed Oscuro wrote:There's a problem with MD E-SWAT though - few people figured out how to get through the barriers at the prison level.
My 12 yr-old self managed that level quite easily...the problem for me was the lab level. Couldn't get past it at the time.

Since then I've replayed the game dozens of times...really great game. I prefer it over the arcade version.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Marc wrote:I always loved MD Midnight Resistance. Beautiful conversion with ace music.
Yeah it was a good conversion with a great soundtrack only hampered by the lack of the two player mode and some slightly dodgy walking animation on the main character. Oh and the voices were missing also, but then I think it's a pretty small cart (4 Mega)?
Marc wrote:Always found it weird how MD never got an R-Type or Gradius tho. Hell, Thundercross was a perfect candidate.
True, but I don't think Irem was ever a 3rd party developer for MD.
And by the time Konami got on board Gradius III might have been seen as a bit archaic to port (fighting games and character-based platformers had well and truly hit the big time by this stage).

Still, we got some sick games out of them anyway (Bloodlines, Hard Corps, RKA etc.)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hitoshi Sakimoto's MD rendition of Midnight Resistance's soundtrack is so anthemically good I forgive the lack of speech totally (and it gives the intermission areas a slightly edgy mood with just the blaring siren). But Data East announcer(s?) are so damn good it's impossible to not miss the speech a little. I was playing Thunder Zone with some friends earlier tonight, and dear God we were cracking up. The announcer gives the manliest readings of "mission completed" and "flamethrower" ever, and more cooperative arcade games should have characters yell things like "SAYANORA, PAL" and "UNHH, SORRY GUYS...!" upon bombing and dying respectively. So we don't have to!

PICK A WEAPON

CONSTRUCT YOURRR ROBOT ♫

OT, if I could've gotten one Irem port on the MD it would've been Ninja Spirit. The PCE version is very impressive for the platform and highly enjoyable on its own merits, but I'm sure Irem could've nailed its ass on the MD. Would've controlled perfectly with three face buttons.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Marc wrote:I always loved MD Midnight Resistance. Beautiful conversion with ace music. E-swat crapped all over the arcade game and the tunes were immense - apart from the second round which was horrid. Always found it weird how MD never got an R-Type or Gradius tho. Hell, Thundercross was a perfect candidate.
It's not quite the same, but at least the SMS port of R-Type can be played on the Genesis with the PBC.
louisg

Post by louisg »

I'm glad to see people enjoying Midnight Resistance. I always liked that one-- it was the first Contra-style game I got into, and I feel like it holds up reasonably well. But I've been entirely unsuccessful in getting even shmup-minded friends to like it, probably due in large part to the typical Data East rough edges.

The one thing that almost breaks the Genesis port though are those tank/vehicle things in the bridge+waterfall stage: in the arcade one, you can avoid it by ducking in case you don't have the firepower to destroy it. In the Genesis rev, you're *screwed*. In general, a good game though.

I agree completely about the soundtrack. Phenomenal rendition. I especially like the even-numbered stages music.
Ruldra wrote:y 12 yr-old self managed that level quite easily...the problem for me was the lab level. Couldn't get past it at the time.

Since then I've replayed the game dozens of times...really great game. I prefer it over the arcade version.
The only problem I had with the jail level is that it's freakin' DULL. Other than that, awesome game, but I also can't get past the lab stage boss! Any tips?
MX7

Post by MX7 »

This thread is awesome, and has inspired me to dig through my Mega Drive collection (mainly compilations and ROMS, bah). Have a real zen to play Phantasy Star 2. I've always considered it to be pretty much perfect in terms of aesthetic and music, but the difficulty usually ends up enraging me. Now trying to decide between playing it on the PS2 port (with save states and a nice CRT screen) or on iPhone (no save states, shitty tiny screen and clunky controls but fully portable...)
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

louisg wrote:
Ruldra wrote:y 12 yr-old self managed that level quite easily...the problem for me was the lab level. Couldn't get past it at the time.

The only problem I had with the jail level is that it's freakin' DULL. Other than that, awesome game, but I also can't get past the lab stage boss! Any tips?
Make sure you get to the boss with missiles in your inventory to take down the bottom light. Then use PC to take down the other two. Not difficult at all.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Is there any way to play Sega CD games on a softmodded Wii?
I'm dying to play Snatcher in 240p.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Jockel wrote:Is there any way to play Sega CD games on a softmodded Wii?
I'm dying to play Snatcher in 240p.
IIRC, there aren't any emulators with Sega CD support on the Wii.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Wow just reading on Sega 16 forums about some alternative version of Marble Madness for Japanese Megadrive I didn't know about.

Very interesting indeed. In fact I've only just started browsing over there, and apart from the fact that some of the opinions seem a little off, it looks like a pretty good place for Megadrive/Genesis discussion.

Did the one credit thang on Thunder Force III (normal). Easy I know, but now working on Hard.
1CC'd Bare Knuckle as well (normal). Man, I forgot what a prick Mr X is. I had about 5 lives by the time his sprite became active and he blew through four of those with his cheap-ass rifle butt technique.

So what I said earlier in the thread about a Hardest clear being within reach is probably now down the toilet.

Funny thing is, I think on Sega 16 people claim a game beaten even if they use credits, or so was my understanding. I realize these are console games and not arcade, but what is the general consensus here regarding what constitutes a clear on some of the more popular titles?

I think people like BIL do this stuff on one credit don't they?

It would seem to me a lot of these games are way too easy even using 2 credits.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Like a lot of others on this forum, I don't make a distinction between arcade and console titles when it comes to "clears" / "beating a game." If we did, you could clear stuff like Gradius Gaiden and R-Type Delta while using tons of continues. Blasphemy! :p