Jamestown Lives!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ryu

Re: Jamestown Lives!

Post by ryu »

what is cave story+ anyways. the same as the wii version?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
BiQ

Post by BiQ »

ryu wrote:what is cave story+ anyways. the same as the wii version?
Yes, AFAIK. Except the + has one additional soundtrack, at least the version currently sold in the bundle. (Actually, I think it's the Cave Story 3D (the 3DS port/re-imagining) soundtrack) I've heard neither the Steam nor Mac App store versions have that, but I can't say for sure if they'll update to get it. Also, I'm not sure if the challenge modes are in Wii version or if they are similar. Haven't played much of it yet, and I don't even have the Wii version.

But let's not talk about it any more in this thread as it's off topic.
grahf

Post by grahf »

I just snagged the Humble Bundle version (Thanks for the Linux support Final Form), and was pleasantly surprised. This game is pretty damn awesome! It's the most fun I've had with a shooter long while. Despite its minor flaws, its a lot of fun. If anyone is on the fence about this one, you can't beat the bundle price. Not to mention you get Super Meat Boy, which is also great.

Westquote, do you think you will get this game onto Desura eventually? It's pretty much the Steam replacement for Linux, but they support PC too. It's also good for you PC guys who hate DRM, since Desura doesn't have any of that noise. Too bad they don't yet support Mac...
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Ah, at last they fixed it! Now DLC is available in offline mode for the Steam version. Now if only they could fix that issue with the unresponsive controls after a miss... :mrgreen:
blackhydra866

Post by blackhydra866 »

Last edited by blackhydra866 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Yes, the Gundemonium games are cool, although Hitogata Happa is quite different from usual.

There's also some other Japanese doujins such as X.X's games which are all free http://www004.upp.so-net.ne.jp/x_xgamer ... works.html

There's also my own shmups, XOP Ultra and XOP Black Ultra (yay!) http://rydia.net/udder/prog/xop/ http://rydia.net/udder/prog/xopblack/
Last edited by Udderdude on Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grahf

Post by grahf »

I really enjoyed Scoregasm, but it's not exactly the same kind of shooter. You might want to check it out though.
Remembrance

Post by Remembrance »

So, today Jamestown gets added to the list of objectives for Steam's Christmas contest. Complete the new Christmas achievement (which is trivial) to win... some random prize.

I got a 50% off coupon for Rock of Ages, which is... currently 50% off already during the Steam sale?

(Also, they've dropped the price even further today because of this. The gunpowder DLC is now less than a dollar, and I don't think you get that in the Humble Bundle.)
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

The objective is pretty easy, just finish any level with the red (charge) ship and you'll get it.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Okay, gamersgate put up the DRM-free installer for the expansion, it just labeled it a patch. Whatever, saves me the trouble of extracting the installer from their download client.
Last edited by Mischief Maker on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

i'm having a big problem with this game on my Sapphire X1950GT
it looks... sorta broken, text won't display, there's clipping, things slow down in the menu, etc etc
i uninstalled it right away for rage; might put it up again just to show you what i'm talking about
Remembrance

Post by Remembrance »

Looking at the global achievements stats page in the last few days... it looks like somebody's managed the Gauntlet, on Judgement, without being HIT. The achievement for that was standing at 0% earlier this month.

Anybody here want to claim credit?
MadScientist

Post by MadScientist »

It seems a little odd that all of the 8 toughest achievements say that 1.1% of players have attained them. The game has obviously sold a few thousand by now at least, so it can't just be one person for the % to be that high.

Those are the only 8 that I don't have and I don't see that situation changing radically anytime soon...
You cannot stop me with Paramecium alone!
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

Well, there is a way to hack achievements, but that is completely lame. And I'm not accusing anyone of actually doing it on these ones(though there are people doing it on the Christmas achievements, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was happening on others)

Still, I'm sure it's possible if you have 4 good players and good strategy assuming it doesn't require that none of the players die. Still, since I can only play this solo, judgement feels like a very broken mode, though Divine feels very legitimate.
Observer

Post by Observer »

I cleared Divine in 2 credits so, yeah, the mode is doable.

Judgement... Not so much. Maybe, as you pointed out, with 4 players covering the entire screen with fire so less green shit spams. But, as it is, a single player is in for a ROUGH ride thank to the over abundance of green bullets that render the shield almost pointless since half of the time they come packed in regular bullets. Enemies have barely any meaningful pause between shooting their barrages as well so that only guarantees you will get chocked between the green ones.

Anyway, there is a "trick" to make the game run slower than it should by enabling Vsync or something like that in some computers. Turns you end up running the game at half the speed. Cheap as hell so I wouldn't even bother trying.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

I got this game along with the humble bundle but it does not run at all. I tried it on win2k, winxp, and win7 64-bit, one system with Radeon X1150 and another with GeForce 7600GT. :?
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Finally got to play this (installed on my brother`s computer). It`s pretty good but I have a question, has anyone beaten The Luge? I think there were a few times that we got one of the bosses down to its final form, after about fifty tries :shock:
stanski

Post by stanski »

ED-057 wrote:Finally got to play this (installed on my brother`s computer). It`s pretty good but I have a question, has anyone beaten The Luge? I think there were a few times that we got one of the bosses down to its final form, after about fifty tries :shock:
Its really not bad to beat the double boss once you figure out to just attack one of the bosses at a time, though I played judgement with a friend a lot before attempting it so that probably helped
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Heads up, the game's on -66% sale over on Steam.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
straight

Post by straight »

I just wanted to say that showing players nuances of your scoring system by creating little 30-second challenges is a fantastic idea that all shmups should copy. They're basically like achievements, except better because they're separated out from the main game. So you don't have this business where you play through an entire level in a stupid way, ignoring everything about how you'd properly play the level except for the achievement you're trying to get.

It would be great if Jamestown leaned even more toward making these mini-tutorials. Like challenges that help you appreciate the less-obvious nuances of some of the ships.

I'm enjoying this game a lot. (Except for Level 5. I don't enjoy tight mazes in shmups, but then Ikaruga lost me at level 3 for the same reason, so clearly I'm an idiot.) I need to find some friends to play it with. Is there any hope they'll add online co-op?
straight

Post by straight »

Are the DLC ships worth getting?
Iaspis

Post by Iaspis »

straight wrote:Are the DLC ships worth getting?
The ghost ship is cool.
geremy

Post by geremy »

I'm a big fan of the gunpowder. It's like the charge ship but better.
wickedkano

Post by wickedkano »

I just wanted to say thanks for creating this awesome game! I've never really played shmups other than r-type here and there but now that the world of shoot em ups have been exposed to me, I'm really enjoying this genre of gaming. :)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

In case anyone hasn't picked this up yet it's coming to another bundle.
hermit crab

Post by hermit crab »

DRM:DRM Free
Activation:Must be activated on Steam
:evil:
Make a missile snap a bone gristle.
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

Jamestown is offcially my gateway game into shmups. I picked it up via the Groupees bundle (which I actually picked up because I wanted Vessel), and I've had shmups on the brain ever since I started playing this.

I haven't finished the game yet though. That last level is incredibly difficult. I've beat The Conquistador, but haven't beaten the final boss yet.

Excellent work on this game. I hope you continue working on shmups. Could be a new IP or a sequel, I would play either.

Thanks!
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

BulletMagnet wrote:In case anyone hasn't picked this up yet it's coming to another bundle.
I got it via this bundle :) Funny though... I actually bought the Steampunk bundle for Vessel, but it's Jamestown which has hooked me immensely and introduced me to a whole new genre of gaming.

It's a great game and I hope the people behind it do more shmups like this.

At the moment, I'm stuck playing the final level. I almost always am able to beat The Conquistador, but fall short fighting the final boss.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Heh, welcome to the fold!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

After the first update or so it just started freezing and I've never been able to play it again.

Great work guys.

:x