The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Friendly

Re: The Sega Megadrive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Post by Friendly »

Ruldra wrote: - Blackthorne: think Flashback but with a shotgun and a darker theme
Good game, but requires a 32X. One of the reasons why I bought one a few years ago.
angryswede

Post by angryswede »

drauch wrote:SegaCD games are region free, if I do recall.
Incorrect, both the hardware and the games are locked. The units have to be of the same region to boot - i.e. mega drive with mega cd / genesis with sega cd. The games are then also region locked.

Apparently some people try to patch games to their region, but involving cd-r's will probably take away the last few years of life left of the laser unit.

As a solution you can either do the flash cart dance, or you can do the hardcore multibios mod:
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/mcd/index.htm
clean gloves, dirty hands.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Coincidentally I'm also on a MD kick lately.

I can't recommend Target Eart / Assault Suit Leynos enough, it's a fantastic game that seems uninviting at first due to the apparent difficulty, but it soon reveals a very simple yet rewarding gameplay. Must play.

Another one I finished recently was Saint Sword. Platform hack slash where the character can morph into centaur, merman and wingman. Find the key then find the door. Definitely not a great game but it was fun to play while it lasted, I liked the bass heavy songs.

Now I want to try Kujaku Oh and Quackshot, I heard they are really good. I also want to play Mercs and Chiki Chiki... Oh, there are so many games, I love the Mega Drive
BIL

Post by BIL »

^Leynos is a very cool game - one of those that convinced me to get an MD, as there's just nothing else like it elsewhere. :smile: Of all the great mecha sidescrollers it's the one that truly makes you feel alone on a vast, unpredictable and unforgiving battlefield, even when you're lucky enough to have friendly units around. The action and inventory management are both simple but very satisfying when paired with the intense atmosphere - I'd say it actually outdoes its two sequels Valken and Leynos 2 in this sense. And it also packs some surprisingly gratifying Raiden/Garegga-esque destruction, with nothing exploding the same way twice.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Lot's all ready mention here so I won't retread ground.

El Viento and Mazin Saga are cool little action games. All though Mazin Saga's bosses can be a total bitch. I also enjoyed E Swat back in the day also. The Yu Yu Hakusho fighter is decent game. Zero Wing is a good port also. As afraid to admit it as I am, I enjoy Moonwalker also. Aladdin is a great platformer... very good animation. Animaniacs is decent... Factor 5 did it for Konami so I picked it up for cheap.

The Capcom ports are very good on the Mega Drive : Ghouls n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Strider and Mercs. Mercs actually has a pretty cool original mode that's worth playing.

Devasator is a decent little side scroller/platformer with a shooter stage here and there on Mega CD.

Plus I have to give shout outs to Phantasy Star 2 and 4. Especially 4.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Two pages and no Rocket Knight Adventures. Shame on you all!

Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

I'm quite partial to Fire Shark, it's quite unbalanced and very brown but presents you with a lot of stuff to kill without putting up too much of a challenge. It does have sound too, unlike emulating the arcade version.

Air Buster/Aero Blasters is a pretty faithful port of the arcade game and Twin Cobra/Kyukyoku Tiger if you're a masochistic maniac.

Gleylancer I wouldn't spend the money on. It's nice but pretty easy and nothing on ThunderForce III/IV. A couple of the boss battles drag without presenting much challenge either. Eliminate Down is much harder and much better. And has anyone ever found a complete copy for a reasonable asking price?!

Ranger X is a nice little Assault Suits-a-like game that's well worth checking out.
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

Skykid wrote:Two pages and no Rocket Knight Adventures. Shame on you all!
I mentioned it and then compared it to Vanquish. Hell, you replied right after me, even. Are you running some sort of script to ignore my posts? Can you see what I've written? Holy shit, am I a ghost?

My biggest complain with the Genesis is the hardware. Audio is sketchy on half the models and RGB is ass on the model 1. If your audio starts to go bad you have to replace something like forty capacitors. Ridiculous. I do appreciate the six-button controller, though. I'm not certain I've found anything more comfortable. I honestly might consider it tied with the Saturn controller.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Haven't played RKA much myself, I regret to say. I did snap up the cart though, since Nobuya Nakazato makes my boner rage. For now my most memorable exposure to Sparkster is he and Bill Rizer killing each other after a hard-fought battle in Shin Contra's joke ending.

Oh, and searching around to confirm that the JP version's difficulty wasn't completely wienerized in comparison to the US one. :/ The one-hit death difficulty is in the JP, you just need to enter a lengthy cheat code to access it. No idea if any patterns or levels are different though. Cheers Konami, you guys sure made importing interesting. :/ :/
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

I'd be careful with Assault Suit Leynos. I can't stand that game, and I'm both a big Masaya and mecha fan, and have both versions. I'd definitely suggest someone check some videos out before going all out. And don't expect to get far on your first try.

The Mega Drive is a great source for cheap RPGs. Every RPG is fairly cheap and easy to find. And there's a high gem-to-garbage ratio with Langrisser II (one of the best SRPGs ever), Phantasy Star II-IV (PSIV is one of the best traditional JRPGs ever; and yes, I'm including III), The Story of Thor (one of the best ARPGs ever), Shining Force I-II, Shadowrun, etc. Plus, if you enjoy Phantasy Star III-IV, then you can also play the RPGs that use a similar engine: Rent A Hero after PSIII, Surging Aura after PSIV. If you like Langrisser, you can play Vixen 357. The Mega CD has even better odds with arguably only a single weak link in Heimdall out of over a dozen solid RPGs, but not every RPG is easy to find or cheap there.

As for other great exclusives and best versions, Castle of Illusion and World of Illusion are both excellent sidescrollers. I'm personally a huge fan of the X-Men games and the other games that run on the same engine, Chakan and Generations Lost. Bare Knuckle II and III are also arguably the best beat-em-ups available on 16-bit consoles. And if it still needed to be said, Sonic pre-3D Blast is why folks still older folks still look forward to modern Sonic games. I'm also personally fond of the SG version of TMNT Tournament Fighters because it's funny, but the Genesis is definitely not the place to turn towards for high-quality fighters.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Gave Rocket Knight Adventures a try after seeing the recommendations...holy crap the game is awesome! I like that they're always throwing new things at you, it never gets repetitive. The mecha fight in particular was a cool surprise. Will definitely play more later.

There's a PS3 version of the game, anyone knows if it's as good as this one? I remember trying the demo briefly and thought it was nothing great.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Ruldra wrote:- Last Battle / Hokuto no Ken: Fist of the North Star game
You are the first person in the history of the entire universe that likes this game.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

mrsmiley381 wrote:
Skykid wrote:Two pages and no Rocket Knight Adventures. Shame on you all!
I mentioned it and then compared it to Vanquish. Hell, you replied right after me, even. Are you running some sort of script to ignore my posts? Can you see what I've written? Holy shit, am I a ghost?
Did someone say something?

Sorry man, you know what's weird is I actually CTRL F'd both pages to make sure there were no instances of 'Rocket' lol, dunno how I missed it. :o
Gave Rocket Knight Adventures a try after seeing the recommendations...holy crap the game is awesome!
One of the best MD exclusives ever IMO, an absolute knockout of a game. The variety is almost overwhelming, and why would you expect anything less from
BIL wrote:Nobuya Nakazato
Designer of Contra's best?

And although I'm not sure who was responsible for the individual tracks, Masanori Adachi, Aki Hata and Michiru Yamane pulled out an incredible soundtrack. The last stage is too much!

drauch

Post by drauch »

angryswede wrote:
drauch wrote:SegaCD games are region free, if I do recall.
Incorrect, both the hardware and the games are locked. The units have to be of the same region to boot - i.e. mega drive with mega cd / genesis with sega cd. The games are then also region locked.

Apparently some people try to patch games to their region, but involving cd-r's will probably take away the last few years of life left of the laser unit.

As a solution you can either do the flash cart dance, or you can do the hardcore multibios mod:
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/mcd/index.htm
Ah, shit. Thanks for clearing that up. Guess I won't be playing that Earnest Evans MegaDrive release anytime soon... :cry:
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

Funny how Rocket Ninja Sasaki (jetpack ninja miniboss) from Contra Spirits and HC isn't in Shin Contra, considering all its homages to the past games and inclusion of a Sparkster cameo. I wonder if that enemy was any direct influence on the Sparkster character. Probably a million 1970s sentai shows with rocket ninjas, otoh. Probably even rocket ninja oppossums.
Skykid wrote:And although I'm not sure who was responsible for the individual tracks, Masanori Adachi, Aki Hata and Michiru Yamane pulled out an incredible soundtrack. The last stage is too much!
I was surprised to learn years after first playing them that Michiru Yamane also composed both Hard Corps and Vampire Killer's soundtracks. They could not be more different in sound, style or tone, with the former almost piss-takingly abrasive and the latter some of the darkest and most elaborate music on the console.

HC was such a better example of Contra putting a lampshade on its head than Neo. How could bosses like this not melt your heart, even with his douchebag "the crosshair is actually aiming at the safespot - OWNED LMAO!" pattern?

null1024

Post by null1024 »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Ranger X is a nice little Assault Suits-a-like game that's well worth checking out.
This game is fantastic. Looks great, sounds good, controls damn well. Brilliant stuff. I kind of don't like the sections [such as that stage where you have the lame flying ship thing] where you are separated from the EX-UP though, and it actually feels more like the game is still designed around having it even then. But otherwise, it is a really cool game, probably my favorite Genesis game behind Sonic 3 & Knuckles [the combined experience].

Also, I love TF4 with what bits of time I've spent with it, but I need to play it some more, I am absolutely godawful at it. Really pretty, amazing audio, and I get killed because I'm not too familiar with the levels.

Silpheed on the Sega CD is brilliant, but christ, I'm horrid at it. It's rather long, and I can barely reach stage 2 usually. Definitely uses the Sega CD right though, and the prerendered backgrounds are really well integrated to seem a bit more like realtime graphics. The bosses are a bit annoying though.

Ristar is complete gold. It ranks just below Ranger X as my favorite Genesis game. There are a few bits level design wise later on that bother the crap out of me [notably, loads of Planet Freon, and almost the entirety of Automation], but for the most part, it is pretty damn great.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

BIL wrote:HC was such a better example of Contra putting a lampshade on its head than Neo. How could bosses like this not melt your heart, even with his douchebag "the crosshair is actually aiming at the safespot - OWNED LMAO!" pattern?
Let it be known that I love Animal Contra. That stupid little dog was so silly. And Nazi Contra, though he wasn't called Nazi Contra. But I always called him Nazi Contra anyway.

Fun fact: there is a track on the Hard Corps OST named "Last Springsteen." Spruce Springsteen's nickname is "The Boss." I think you know where this track plays.

Anyone remember these Genesis commercials? I was too young to remember these at the time, but I do remember the Nintendo rivalry and gum packaged with Sonic & Knuckles trading cards. Funny how games have turned into E3 circus nonsense. At least 90's nonsense was simply insane.

Call me crazy, but I feel like I can appreciate Genesis games more now than I did as a kid. They're largely difficult enough that I feel like I need the previous experience from other games and the sheer patience of becoming an adult (debatable at the age of 22, but give me the benefit of the doubt) required to get through some of them. Modern games have made me soft, sure, but I can appreciate games that require a little more precision for once. I want to try Valis, Phantasy Star, and a number of other games, though I know I wouldn't have enjoyed them as a kid. Hell, I might not have enjoyed them four years ago. Shit, even six months. It took me a hundred and twenty hours of Phantasy Star Universe for me to decide to really buckle down and explore the franchise from the beginning. And PSU was largely terrible!

I saw Skykid has been playing Cobra on the Sega CD. For the more sane of you (sorry Skykid) I might suggest watching this instead.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

null1024 wrote: Silpheed on the Sega CD is brilliant
Was actually playing this recently for the first time. Far from brilliant IMO, if anything it's really kind of nasty. :idea:
mrsmiley381 wrote:I saw Skykid has been playing Cobra on the Sega CD. For the more sane of you (sorry Skykid) I might suggest watching this instead.
What? no! Don't do that, it's actually pretty good if you like Snatcher style games, it's really surprising me. I also happen to like space adventure cobra the anime, but it really doesn't matter if you haven't seen it before.

BIL

Post by BIL »

mrsmiley381 wrote:And Nazi Contra, though he wasn't called Nazi Contra. But I always called him Nazi Contra anyway.
He was the best one! No better way to give a Hitler salute than atop an exploding mech while vomiting blood. :lol:
Last edited by BIL on Tue May 22, 2012 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Is Blackthrone better on the 32X than the SNES?

Edit: Wiki sez -
"Blackthorne was released for the SNES and MS-DOS in 1994, and with enhanced graphics and a higher color palette for the Sega 32X in 1995 and for Mac OS in 1996."

I'll look for the Mac version...sounds interesting.

Edit #2:

Holy carps, look at the credits for the company that ported Blackthorne to the GBA: Mass Media, Inc.

Thunder In Paradise! Zombie Dinos! Mystic Midway! All your CD-i faves right there. Well, some of them. Certainly every name that sounds stereotypically CD-i.
chum

Post by chum »

RKA is my favorite game on the system and my favorite non-shmup video game period.

I also love: Twinkle Tale, ToeJam & Earl, Ristar, Granada, Alisia Dragoon.
chempop

Post by chempop »

- Budokan: kind of a martial arts simulator. Difficult to play but it's great once you get the hang of it.
Oh crap! I sunk endless hours into this as a kid. Extremely difficult game, I remember raging very often... In fact to much that I think I traded it in (which I rarely ever did as a kid).

Thank you for reminding me of how awesome it was to win matches using kendo, and how impossible that old dude with the syth-morning star thingy was.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Another shout for Phantasy Star 4. Even if you haven't played the previous ones, you'll still enjoy it and won't have a hard time understanding the plot, though you may miss the references to the prequels.

And curses, now I have Phantasy Star 3's overworld theme stuck in my head.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

What a great and clever overworld theme though. It's sad that only Ippo survived into PSIV...
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

Skykid wrote:
Friendly wrote: It's the cheapest on the list, but still above $100 USD
I got one from YHJ within the last 2 years and it was under $20 I'm sure, unless it's suddenly spiked? (Ignoring ebay trends of course.)
Either you are mis-remembering or you got really lucky; even 5 years ago Pulseman was selling for $60+ dollars.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I love the MD! I recently got into it a while back, and discovered some awesome games.

One game I would highly recommend is Monster World IV. Surely one of the best for it. However, it's in Japanese. You can get an English repro at the Sega 16 Forums(I did).

Some of the best:

Gunstar Heroes
Sonic 3(plus Sonic + Knuckles)
Sonic 2
Sonic
Monster World IV
Bare Knuckle II(SOR II)
Rocket Knight Adventures
Alien Soldier(too expensive...get a repro if you can't afford it)
The Super Shinobi II(Shinobi III)
Thunder Force IV(best shmup on the system)
M.U.S.H.A.
Pulseman(once again, get a repro if too expensive)
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Eliminate Down is much harder and much better. And has anyone ever found a complete copy for a reasonable asking price?!
I snagged Eliminate Down, Gley Lancer, Dynamite Heady, Verytex and something else all for 120.00 dollars complete last year. I was quite happy.

Speaking of Verytex that is an ok little shooter also.

Last year and early this year I have been on a big mega drive kick.... love that system.

Here is my little haul from Magfest this year:

Ristar and Panarama Cotton are both great games. Robocop vs Terminator is actually fun also. Thunder Blade on the MD is..... unfortunate.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Friendly wrote: Either you are mis-remembering or you got really lucky; even 5 years ago Pulseman was selling for $60+ dollars.
Ok, you made me curious enough to go and check my purchasing records. It was 3200 Yen in late 2009 on a BIN. Dunno about the ex rate at that time but it's around $40 today so I was definitely a bit out. :wink:

louisg

Post by louisg »

Ruldra wrote:- The Immortal: originally made for the Apple II, it's an isometric adventure/puzzle game. Can be hard to get into at first, but it's an excellent game. Has a dark theme, quite challenging and very gory.
- Budokan: kind of a martial arts simulator. Difficult to play but it's great once you get the hang of it.
Yeah, that system is a good way to play the popular computer games of the day too. A lot of the ports from Amiga are better than their DOS versions, and there's plenty of Sharp X68k stuff too (like the WolfTeam games). Most of the Bitmap Brothers games are available on it, lots of Psygnosis games (doesn't Lemmings even support the mouse?), and a handful of moldy 5-fps flight simulators too if that's your thing!

Don't go anywhere near Dark Castle though. Hilariously bad port.
Humans, think about what you have done
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I like this thread FAR more than the my little pony thread....