RQ: New Player Mushihimesama tips?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
DevoutHaruhiist

RQ: New Player Mushihimesama tips?

Post by DevoutHaruhiist »

Hello all, I am new to this forum and somewhat new to this genre. I somewhat recently started playing Mushihimesama futari 1.5 (for the Xbox 360) and I am enjoying it greatly. Furthermore, this forum has been a great resource for me as I have learned much about the scoring etc, in the guides provided here so thank you for that.

Recently I have been practicing trying to go for one of my first 1cc (on Original). Though I have practiced for quite awhile I am still having trouble getting much further than around the 3rd/4th stage as well as the 5th stage boss (as attempted in Training). I realize practice is always the best thing when it comes to these situations, and I will continue to do so, though I was wondering if there are any tips from experienced players such as yourselves as to how to go about this. Thanks.
Aquas

Re: RQ: New Player Mushihimesama tips?

Post by Aquas »

Big deal in stage 3 are the beetle guys that shift in from the sides and shoot the spears of bullets in the latter half of the stage. Focus on killing them right away and expecting where they are to do that. In stage 4 and 5 you'll want to be bullet herding and sweeping the screen. It's no big deal if you need to use your bombs if you're trying to get through the game. Stupid deaths in stage 2 and 3 are the worst when a bomb could have prevented them. I suggest using a bomb on those spear bullet guys at some point if they give you too much trouble. Reco's C shot should be able to snipe them quickly from the back.

Bombs are great help for those boss patterns you don't have down yet, because using one usually means it's going to start it's next pattern. Pretty useful bomb I think, using bombs will also keep the rank down.

I use the practice mode and just play a stage over about 4-10 times (or untill i get more comfortable to move on) then do another stage 4-10 times. Pinpoint the areas that you have difficulty with and formulate some plan for handling it. Also exclusively practice the bosses multiple times so you have less surprises during real runs with them. Make sure to set the overall counter to what you typically have for the start of the stage, at least. So that the rank is at the right level. I typically set my overall counter as if it's for a no-miss run and I've been getting green aura gems actively.

If you're not trying to score much though, the rank will remain smooth in a real run. Follow these tips and you'll be 1ccing it in no time.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
DevoutHaruhiist

Post by DevoutHaruhiist »

Thank you very much for these pointers!

Still having trouble with the bosses from stage 3 and above. The first bullet pattern on the stage 5 boss always manages to hit me somehow.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

The stage 5 boss is an absolute swine, regardless of which way you look at it. A large number of the higher scoring replays on XBL basically bomb the crap out of the last boss so I recommend that you do that!

Also the stage 3 boss is pretty tough for the first form but gets a bit better on the second and third. I use at least one bomb on the stage 3 boss every time, and the only way I'll get around that is with some serious practise.
Number of 1cc's : 5
Now playing: Gunbird
Mad Mage

Post by Mad Mage »

I just 1cced this on original for the first time (my first 1cc). So I may have some advice as someone of a similar skill level.

Like the others say, bomb the crap outta the last boss. But first play her in practice mode to learn which of her patterns you CAN survive, and save your bombs during those. You'll probably never get to her with enough bombs and lives to bomb every single one of her attacks. Oh, and you probably know this, but if you shoot all the lanterns in stage five, a one up will appear. It floats off the top of the screen fast, but if you know when it appears, you can be in close enough to grab it. The extra three bombs that life provides will make the final boss a LOT easier.

Stage four and five are pretty easy when you get the hang of them. Like the others said, sweeping motions and knowing when and where to concentrate fire on the tougher enemies. If you're having trouble, play them a few times on practice mode. Stages 1 and 2 aren't that long, but they get really boring if you gotta play them each time to get to the parts you need practice on.

The primary boss (apart from the last boss) I had trouble with was 3's. Even though I'm capable of dodging all of its attacks, more often than not, I'll get hit by one if I don't use a couple bombs. I finally started doing better when I realized that it made more sense to throw my gem counter away and just bomb through the parts I was having trouble with. As Peppy says "use bombs wisely".
TLB

Post by TLB »

Mad Mage wrote:As Peppy says "use bombs wisely".

Indeed. If you know that there's a pattern you can't dodge more than half the time, just bomb it. It's a far better idea to scrap a pattern with a single bomb than scrap a life and anywhere from 0-X bombs to boot. You'll get pissed off when you die with bombs in stock, so don't let that happen.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Yup, if you use all your bombs and get both extends and the 1up you should be fine taking Larsa down on Original mode. I find it easier with Palm despite him having a few tricky spots due to a narrow rapid shot. Point blanking with his laser shot is ridiculously powerful though, you must exploit that while fighting bosses in between their patterns.

Original took me about two week to All-clear, but now I've been slowly chipping away at Maniac for months ARRGH :evil:
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
msm

Post by msm »

Mad Mage wrote:if you shoot all the lanterns in stage five, a one up will appear.
i ignore the lanterns and the 1up always appears when you shoot the building it's in, so i'm not sure it has anything to do with them, i think the only requirement is to not bomb just before it's revealed?
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

msm wrote:
Mad Mage wrote:if you shoot all the lanterns in stage five, a one up will appear.
i ignore the lanterns and the 1up always appears when you shoot the building it's in, so i'm not sure it has anything to do with them, i think the only requirement is to not bomb just before it's revealed?
Yeah, pretty sure it's just destroying the building without bombing... the only times I've ever not gotten it were the times I bombed with the building on-screen. Having said that, I tend to use Reco, so what with her shot type maybe I'm just destroying all of the lanterns without realising. :P
STGT '11 - #1 | STGT '12 - #1
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Anyone have any tips for getting that extend in original 1.5 Palm abnormal? I keep on missing it due to the popcorn on the right. Either they kill me as im destroying the building or I miss the 1up if I take the extra time to destroy them. If I bomb to destroy the mini boss and the popcorn as the spawn the building gets destroyed as well. Is it possible to use a early bomb without destroying the building if I time and position it correctly?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:Is it possible to use a early bomb without destroying the building if I time and position it correctly?
I sometimes drop a bomb on the large red land dragon that appears to the right of the building, that clears things up enough that you can sweep from the right side of the screen to the left and nab the 1up for weaker shot types like Palm Normal. Just be warned that you want to use a bomb when the dragon actually appears. Wait too late, and the bomb will damage/destroy the building just as it starts to enter the screen.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

I tested bombing in the top right corner after I kill the mini boss as the wave of red dragons spawned, it still destroyed the building

I think ive got the knack of it now. Where I was going wrong was that I was trying to destroy the building to early and the left most red dragon rider was positioned behind the building shielded from my fire which then took me out. Just a simple right to left focus fire movement killing the red dragons as they spawned was all it took.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:I sometimes drop a bomb on the large red land dragon
I think you misunderstood my suggestion, but it's good you found a method that works. Palm Abnormal is definitely strong enough to deal with that dragon in a timely fashion and take out the popcorn if you're quick.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Ah sorry mate I didnt fully address your first post. :oops:

Yeah (the vid) thats similar to how I did it. Athough I found bombing the red ground dragon with Palm ab to be a waste because of his strong focus shot. I was looking for a way to cheese that wave of dragon riders. NVM I was'nt analysing the problem properly as all it took was better timing.