Famitsu Cave Interview

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
alamone

Famitsu Cave Interview

Post by alamone »

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201205/17014608.html

Blackoak kindly provided a translation, reproduced below:
blackoak wrote:Had a little time at work, so I knocked this out. Didn't take too long... some funny comments in there. I tried to be as accurate as possible with the "predictions" about their future work, so as not to cause undue alarm or hope, but... its pretty much as we've been discussing. The last few paragraphs are particularly sad imo.
Cave 5/17/2010 Famitsu Interview
Translated by blackoak

—Before we talk about the X360 version, I'd like to go back to the original arcade release of Mushihimesama. What was the concept behind Mushihimesama (2004)?

Asada: I wasn't at Cave yet when they were developing Mushihimesama.

Ikeda: Back then, well... the hardware we had been using before Mushihimesama wasn't that powerful, so we were talking about making some new PCB hardware. Then we asked, what should we make as our first shooting game on this new hardware? Everything we had put out as Cave before that had been a danmaku game, but I was thinking Toaplan this time... I thought there was a need in the market for something with simpler patterns and fewer bullets--a stoic shooting game. So we started making Mushihimesama as a return to our roots.

—How did you come up with the unique fantasy world of Mushihimesama?

Ikeda: Actually, at first we were planning to make something ultra-realistic, a "tanks and helicopters only!" kind of world. But around that time we got news that a new Raiden game would be coming out. We eventually decided that would be a tough act to follow, so we decided on a completely opposite, fantastic world for the game. (laughs). When graphics leader Wakabayashi told me "since its not going to be military themed, then think of something else", I brought in some fantasy style storyboards and we went with that.

—Were the players at the time surprised that you had chosen a fantasy theme?

Ikeda: No one was like, "WHAT?!". But people did seem puzzled by the title. (laughs) At the location tests many people told us "so you've finally got your hardware sorted out." (laughs)

—By the way, the heroine Reco... she's not wearing anything down there, is she?

Ikeda: Nope.

—Really! That's part of the official canon?

Ikeda: Yes.

Asada: You mean when she can just go to the bathroom anywhere like that?!

Ikeda: How she uses the toilet isn't set in the official canon, but physically speaking, that's how it would be.

—Ah, is that so! ...well, um, getting back on point, please tell use some of the features of Mushihimesama.

Ikeda: I said it earlier, but, the concept was "how can we make a simple shooting game." We wondered how a game like Toaplan's Kyuukyoku Tiger with fewer, high speed bullets would be received in 2004, but we tried to add a modern touch to it as well. We made something we felt could compete for players' interest, but of course we had some anxiety and decided that in addition to the stoic "Original" mode we would add a "Maniac" mode with more bullets. (laughs) As a result it was well received by the players and we were relieved.

—At the time, which was more popular among players, Original or Maniac?

Ikeda: At the location test Original mode was more popular. It seemed many people saw the word "Maniac" and thought the game would be as hard as that word suggested. After it was release, they were both about equally popular.

—At the time of release, the super difficult "Ultra" mode had to be unlocked, right?

Ikeda: Yes. It was designed to be unlocked afterwards.

Asada: Why did you hide it?

Ikeda: I think we wanted it to be a surprise. At a game center, there's a tendency for games to start losing players about three months after their release. So we thought that if, three months later, some new feature was unlocked, it would bring people back. On top of that, we thought it would be cool to have something open up like that which would challenge players who have already gotten used to the game and cleared it... "You're not done yet, bring it on!!"

—You added it to exceed what players had already achieved?

Ikeda: Yes. That way it would get unlocked first at successful game centers, and it would spread by word of mouth that way. Of course, we also faxed a sheet with instructions on how to unlock it to all the game centers.

Asada: Doing it like that, wasn't there a possibility that a store that didn't get the fax would never have Ultra mode unlocked?

Ikeda: We had that concern, so we made the unlocking method available to the public as well.

Asada: That was new, letting the players do it.

Ikeda: All of Cave's games are this way. (laughs) It would be a problem for players if they couldn't unlock it, you know?

—And now Mushihimesama has been upgraded with HD graphics, and comes out for the X360 on 5/24/2012.

Asada: We struggled with whether to port Ibara or Mushihimesama.

—Asada, I understand you worked on the X360 port?

Asada: That's right. Though at the beginning, I was busy working on Instant Brain. After the dust had settled on that project, I thought, alright, time to get started on Mushihimesama... but when I confirmed where the development was at, I thought it had a long way to go and I was really scrambling when it began. (laughs) But when I fully got into it, it actually went smoother than any project I've ever worked on.

Ikeda: Yeah, it went without a hitch.

—Do you think its because you've had so much experience doing ports before this?

Asada: That's part of it, but because everything moved forward individually without problems we were able to proceed smoothly.

—In addition to the three modes found in the original arcade version, as a first print bonus, "Mushihimesama ver. 1.5" mode will be available as DLC. Would you like to comment on each different mode?

Asada: First, there's the "X360 mode," which is an HD enhanced version that uses the arcade version as its base, with the same slowdown.

—The same slowdown?

Asada: If it weren't, you wouldn't be able to dodge the bullets. (laughs) Everything was done according to the arcade version.

—Next is the Novice Mode, and this is aimed at beginners?

Asada: From the outset people had asked us why we didn't include beginner modes in our games. In the Deathsmiles arcade version, you could select a difficulty level from 1 to 3, but while you were playing you couldn't continue to select level 1, so there were many people who couldn't clear it. So for the X360 version we made it possible to select Level 1 difficulty for each stage, and we did hear people say "now I can clear it!" After that, in order to allow those people who had gotten into shooting games through Deathsmiles to clear our other games, we added Novice modes. And you know, a 1CC is part of the fun, isn't it? So we thought we'd allow beginners to experience that with Novice mode first, after which they could check out the other modes and see what hell looks like... (laughs)

—(laughs) Please tell us about the "arrange" mode for Mushihimesama.

Asada: This is a slightly improved version of the arrange mode released for the PS2 version of Mushihimesama. That version got a good reception, so we wondered how we could develop it, and made several adjustments. We also remade some of the songs in the Arrange version, so people can enjoy those too.

—For people who played the PS2 Arrange version, it sounds like it will be a different experience.

Asada: We think so. When we were adjusting the Arrange mode, we had several skilled players test it, and we asked them what parts they thought were too easy, and accordingly made those parts more difficult... though not to the point it can't be cleared, I think. If you can't clear this, you should probably quit playing shooting games! (laughs)

Ikeda: No, no, don't say that! (laughs) Save that kind of talk for Novice mode! (laughs)

—Maybe saying "you should quit" is a little much (laughs). Finally, regarding the first press bonus "Mushihimesama ver 1.5" mode, I understand this is something Ikeda was working on originally?

Asada: Last year we sold the PCB of Mushihimesama 1.5 at the online Cave shop for a limited time of 2 days. We sold it for game centers, really, but we thought there were many who probably didn't get to play it, so we decided to add it to the X360 port. In the beginning, though, Ikeda wasn't too keen about adding it...

Ikeda: I thought it would be unfair to people who had bought the PCB. Of course, I'm happy that many will be able to play it, but...

Asada: But before he got the greenlight from Asada, our programmer Ichimura decided on his own to port the code for Mushihimesama 1.5. (laughs) Then it was like, well, it works, so we might as well include it. (laughs)

Ikeda: It doesn't make sense to me why someone working at Cave, with access to these games already, would decide to port the code. (laughs)

Asada: There were many people who couldn't play Mushihimesama 1.5, and the music was composed by Ryu Umemoto, who passed away last year, and we really wanted people to hear his music. Now that I think of it, the X360 version of Mushihimesama has three soundtrack versions included... that's amazing.

—What are the changes made in Mushihimesama ver. 1.5?

Ikeda: Although we made Mushihimesama to be a return to our roots, when we looked back on it, we had this feeling, "why are there so few enemies?" That was our goal at the time, of course. So for Mushihimesama 1.5 we changed the number of enemies and their placement, and added a different scoring mechanic. You could say this is the "modern Cave" version.

—Which mode do each of you personally prefer?

Asada: I like Arrange mode. It has a "whatever you do, you'll make it" level of difficulty and is fun to play. When I played the X360's Ultra mode I thought, "Who made this?!" (laughs) Could they even clear the first stage?

Ikeda: Ah, I wonder...

Asada: Personally, I was barely able to clear the first stage. You know, at the vendor meetings when we asked them to play the Ultra stage, wasn't it embarassing? I'm sure they thought "what the hell is this..." (laughs)

Ikeda: There's no one at Cave who can clear Ultra. Of course, theoretically speaking, we made it so it was possible to clear. At the time we made it the thinking was, "It won't be fun if the difficulty gradually ramps up in a half-ass way." It had to be so hard all you could do was laugh, like "you need to die after 5 seconds of starting" level hard.

—Ikeda, what mode do you like best?

Ikeda: As you might expect, I like the most recently made Mushihimesama ver 1.5.

Asada: But you looked pissed off while you were making it.

Ikeda: Nah, that's the face I make when I'm having fun. (laughs)

—(laughs) By the way, is this the last retail X360 game you plan to release...?

Asada: As far as retail packaged releases go, I think this may be the last. After this, starting with smart phones, we're going to be thinking about development for other platforms... that's how things feel, at least.

—Last month, Dodonpachi Saidaioujou came out.

Asada: I was only involved in sound for that. And even then, all I did was ask Manabu Namiki to compose it...

Ikeda: For Dodonpachi Saidaioujou's sound, we couldn't think of anyone but Namiki, who has worked on many of the games in the Donpachi series.

—How has the response from players been to Saidaioujou?

Ikeda: Its been much higher than we expected. To be honest, we had some anxiety during the location tests, but since its release its gotten very high marks. We're very happy.

Ikeda: For a time, there was a danger it wouldn't get finished. I'm relieved it we made it.

Asada: Ah, should we be saying that? (laughs)

Ikeda: Now that its been safely released, I don't think it matters. (laughs)

—There was really that much of a danger?

Asada: We were able to safely overcome it... but this will probably be the last pcb hardware arcade game we release.

Ikeda: We don't have any more easily available arcade hardware parts. Though, that doesn't mean we will just stop making arcade games.

—Is there a possibility you'll release games through something like NESiCA?

Ikeda: Well, we're looking into that, but I can't say anything concrete now.

—Where do you think Cave will go from here?

Asada: For me, I've been mainly focusing on the X360, but now I think we're going to expand our horizons a bit.

—Do you have any concrete plans yet?

Asada: Personally, I'm thinking about a number of things. We'll soon be announcing some mobile phone related news. Please look forward to it.

—Ikeda, what are your plans for Cave?

Ikeda: Everyone at our company is thinking that rather than games that you enjoy by yourself, we need to get involved with games that you play with someone else. I think we will start to make games that are different in form from what we've made up till now, but we want them to touch the hearts of our players, so please look forward to it."
Last edited by alamone on Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
TrevHead (TVR)

Re: Famitsu Cave Interview

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

alamone wrote:
- Reko is officially nopan
No Panties? lol how the fuck did converation get onto Reco-chans underwear :lol:
DDPSDOJ:
- Probably their last arcade PCB, but not their last arcade game
- When asked about their plans, e.g. Nesica, answered no concrete plans yet
Its probably for the best imo, although I'm not a PCB collector, what do you PCB types think of this? Would you buy a PC based arcade system?
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Can you even buy nesica live machines?
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

AntiFritz wrote:Can you even buy nesica live machines?
I believe so, but there's no way you can operate them without a Japanese IP address, bank account and proof that you're a legitimate arcade establishment.

PC-based arcade hardware is notoriously prone to breaking down, with Sega's Lindbergh being one exception I'm aware of.
Last edited by Op Intensify on Wed May 16, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:what do you PCB types think of this?
Fuck.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:what do you PCB types think of this? Would you buy a PC based arcade system?
Disaster. I have a broken Deathsmiles II sitting on the shelf. Worst arcade game experience of my life. Was shipped through multiple parties so I'm not covered and just have to figure out fixing it myself. Download/online crap means it won't even be possible. Total shit if they don't go with real arcade hardware like PGM2.
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:Disaster. I have a broken Deathsmiles II sitting on the shelf. Worst arcade game experience of my life. Was shipped through multiple parties so I'm not covered and just have to figure out fixing it myself. Download/online crap means it won't even be possible. Total shit if they don't go with real arcade hardware like PGM2.
Thankfully, IIX is by far the best version of the game, and Cave's one truly 16:9 HD title.

I love Deathsmiles II, but the arcade version is just pitiful in every respect.
Last edited by Op Intensify on Wed May 16, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:
TrevHead (TVR) wrote:what do you PCB types think of this? Would you buy a PC based arcade system?
Disaster. I have a broken Deathsmiles II sitting on the shelf. Worst arcade game experience of my life. Was shipped through multiple parties so I'm not covered and just have to figure out fixing it myself. Download/online crap means it won't even be possible. Total shit if they don't go with real arcade hardware like PGM2.
Jesus, not you as well. Broken how? Andy Geezer can fix it.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Op Intensify wrote: I love Deathsmiles II, but the arcade version is just pitiful in every respect.
I hope you're not judging it by that awful port.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

Firstly it wouldn't boot up so I opened it up. I found that the pcb base holders had broken during shipping and where they connect had scraped through lines in the bottom of the board. Searched for an exact motherboard replacement, not possible. Googled and found another motherboard officially used, pics on AO, ordered that. It still won't boot and I'm not sure that the rainbow cable from the custom IO board is even compatible, though the only important thing it could be doing from what I can tell so far is flipping a power switch which I can do a different way. Anyway, won't boot. So I take it into the bios. When I set it checking anything with the boot device (a compact flash card with a minimal Windows installation) it freezes, so I guess it can't handle it or it's corrupt. I've been able to copy its data so I'm going to try to copy it onto a regular hard drive. I think it has the drivers needed for the custom board as well. The game is just on the USB stick. I made a fresh XP install on a drive to test it but it just fails to launch from Windows, starts to boot and ends with a JVS error and I don't know where the custom board drivers might be on the compact flash stuff, or if it's possible to pull them. If you can image your flash card (Windows) for me and send me that, that might help in my diagnoses. How is it supposed to power up anyway? What triggers the power on? I have a Capcom IO board going to the JVS port. Maybe a button on your control panel? The power switch on the power supply doesn't trigger it. Total crap setup.
Last edited by Muchi Muchi Spork on Wed May 16, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

SuperPang wrote:I hope you're not judging it by that awful port.
I am, but I figure it's virtually arcade perfect outside of the crap resolution and inability to enter initials, considering that the 360 is also a PC-powered system?

IIX has better game mechanics anyway.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:
alamone wrote:
No Panties? lol how the fuck did converation get onto Reco-chans underwear :lol:
It's a Japanese magazine.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Korszca

Post by Korszca »

Op Intensify wrote:considering that the 360 is also a PC-powered system?
Nope, the 360 is powered by a PowerPC chip, not an x86.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:Firstly it wouldn't boot up so I opened it up. I found that the pcb base holders had broken during shipping and where they connect had scraped through lines in the bottom of the board. Searched for an exact motherboard replacement, not possible. Googled and found another motherboard officially used, pics on AO, ordered that. It still won't boot and I'm not sure that the rainbow cable from the custom IO board is even compatible, though the only important thing it could be doing from what I can tell so far is flipping a power switch which I can do a different way. Anyway, won't boot. So I take it into the bios. When I set it checking anything with the boot device (a compact flash card with a minimal Windows installation) it freezes, so I guess it can't handle it or it's corrupt. I've been able to copy its data so I'm going to try to copy it onto a regular hard drive. I think it has the drivers needed for the custom board as well. The game is just on the USB stick. I made a fresh XP install on a drive to test it but it just fails to launch from Windows, starts to boot and ends with a JVS error and I don't know where the custom board drivers might be on the compact flash stuff, or if it's possible to pull them. If you can image your flash card (Windows) for me and send me that, that might help in my diagnoses. How is it supposed to power up anyway? What triggers the power on? I have a Capcom IO board going to the JVS port. Maybe a button on your control panel? The power switch on the power supply doesn't trigger it. Total crap setup.
I had one turn up that froze on the Field D boss, got that refunded. The next one arrived dead wouldn't even turn on. The motherboard was fucked, gets easily damaged in transit. I sourced a very similar motherboard that didn't work straight away but AndyGeezer got it working after several hours with his mad skills. Something about the custom I/O board and its security. Anyway, drop him a line.

Op Intensify wrote:
SuperPang wrote:I hope you're not judging it by that awful port.
I am, but I figure it's virtually arcade perfect outside of the crap resolution and inability to enter initials, considering that the 360 is also a PC-powered system?
You're wrong. Deathsmiles 2 v4 is one of my favourites.
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

Yeah, I figured there was some important distinction.

But Raiden IV was also made for the Type-X1, and that had an amaaazing 360 port. Aside from the lack of blank screen borders.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

I can translate this if alamone or anyone else hasn't started yet. Interestingly, the first question talks about Mushihimesama being deliberately designed as a "return to our roots" Toaplan style game. Looks intriguing.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Deathsmiles 2 isn't Type X. And the Type X version of Raiden IV is a bit prettier than the port btw ;)
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

Wait, what the hell did Deathsmiles II run on? I was absolutely certain it was Type-X1.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Op Intensify wrote:Wait, what the hell did Deathsmiles II run on? I was absolutely certain it was Type-X1.
Cave's own custom build, and boy did their inexperience show. That's a concern if they jump to a new PC system and 3D.
hzt

Post by hzt »

No interview about Mushi is complete without touching on Reco's lack of panties.

But...
Asada: We agonised over whether to port Ibara or Mushihime-sama.
Nooooo port Ibara you dick :<

(yeah I realise it wouldn't sell.)
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

I think SEGA's stupidly named "ALL.Net P-ras MULTI" system is a distinct possibility. I would've thought they'd have moved to NESICA by now if they were happy with Taito's terms.
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

What about the RingWide? Isn't that intended for games that don't require as demanding hardware as the RingEdge? Sega used it for the Daytona USA rerelease. It sounds like it would be perfect for Cave.
Vyxx
Banned User

Post by Vyxx »

Both had horrible PS2 ports, why not port them both? :|
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

Yep, it doesn't speak too well for their financial status if they didn't have the resources to do a Mushi/Ibara twin pack, which is what really should have happened.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

i dont think nesica is in the cards either, theyve had a co-operation with taito in the past so should have had plenty of opportunities to move to type-x and nesica before.

they did a rental/profitsharing scheme with the deathsmiles 2 board which failed miserably which atleast speaks for them simply getting a HD upgraded single standing PCB straight sale setup for their future games (something which should have happened a long time ago tbh).
I know Cave are hurting badly at the moment but honestly a purge might not be a terrible thing, maybe they will re-focus on their core buisness the shmups which is what founded the company to begin with, it feels like a case of history repeating itself only the brand CAVE might survive..
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Hydeux

Post by Hydeux »

'xcuse my English, but
What does that mean ?

And quite a shame we (probably) won't have any port of SDOJ on 360...
Korszca

Post by Korszca »

nopan = no panties

i.e. she's not wearing anything down there...

Leave it up to the Japanese to care about such things.
DragonInstall

Post by DragonInstall »

Oh god please port the game to a console at least. Cmon for your last arcade shooter, port it for your console fanbase.
Espgaluda III needs to happen.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

hzt wrote:No interview about Mushi is complete without touching on Reco's lack of panties.

But...
Nooooo port Ibara you dick :<
I'm sort of inclined to agree with that, I really wanted Kuro. :(
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Hydeux

Post by Hydeux »

Korszca wrote:nopan = no panties
Cheers mate !
Probably their last retail packaged game for 360
There's still some hope !

(for a Nin Nin Jump #2 :shock: )
Last edited by Hydeux on Wed May 16, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.