XRGB-3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Overkill

Re: XRGB-3

Post by Overkill »

If i set up a Xrgb 3 to a low resolution 320x240 will it output 15hz on the VGA output so i can connect a VGA to Scart cable to connect it to a regular crt tv or to a arcade monitor with a Viletim's scart to jamma?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I never tried it, but it should output RGBHV instead of RGBs. You can try and connect both sync lines (H+V) to the composite sync line of the monitor. Should work, but might not be ideal.

Besides, what's the point ?
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

To see how it looks connect my xbox or other consoles to my arcade monitor with my xrgb 3 instead of buying the extron rgb
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

shabby I would say, since 640x480 already looks very mediocre in B0 and going down even further, won't help the scaling.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

By the way, in B1 mode i change resolution from 640x480 to higher but my lcd allways say 640x480 input
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

That's correct, B1 is locked to LINEDOUBLING :)
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

And i just can't output anything using the DVI output, i tryed dvi to dvi, dvi to hdmi, put in B0, change resolutions, and nothing. What im doing wrong? Also the dvi input for PC don't worked too, tryed conecting my desktop PC and no image :cry:
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

DVI out is active in B0 only. Set to XGA (1024x768) and disable V-Sync for highest compatibility. Should work this way. Also no VGA cable can be connected at the same time -> disconnect first. I wouldn't use DVI (for B1 alone), with VGA you can use both B0 and B1 without swapping cables and the B0 picture quality is just the same as with DVI.

Never tested the DVI passthrough.... sorry.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Thanks Fudoh, gonna give it a try later when i back home from work. When im using the VGA output, for example, to play sega saturn, PS1 or 2, connected to a 1080p lcd should i select some special resolution or just leave it as it is?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you want scanlines you have no choice but to use B1 with 480p output. If you change resolution in B1 it affects the compatibility (although the output resolution stays the same). Set to XGA for highest compatibility.

B0 gets sharper (and better) the higher the resolution gets. 1080p is ideal, but some TVs don't like it.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Most TV's don't like it, in my experience!
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

I think my tv don't like it too. But as i allways want scanlines im going to stick with B1 with vga output. Pity that progressive scan input signals don't work with xrgb 3 scanlines. Maybe i trade it for the new XRGB Mini Frame Meister when it gets a more stable firmware
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

For progressive sources you can simply add a SLG3000 (or similar) to the XRGB's output. Allows "classic" scanlines for both 480i and 480p sources.
Eggy

Post by Eggy »

soooo...
now that I have a psp, I`d like to use the d2zoom. has the bug in the english firmware ever been fixed?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

what bug would that be ? PSP on the XRGB-3 works very nice. See my comparison between XRGB-3 and Framemeister here:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 32#p756632
Eggy

Post by Eggy »

the fullscreen zoom. on page 49 on this thread it says there`s a bug with the english firmware. those black borders are... disturbing.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I used the japanese FW till the end, but shortly before I sold my XRGB-3 I updated to the current english FW and the PSP screenshots linked above were done afterwards (with the current engl. FW), so you should have no problems using the zoom option. Just remember that the zoom is available in B0 only.
Eggy

Post by Eggy »

I have no idea what I`m doing wrong. psp 3004 with component cable, b0, I even used d2 input(it does say d2zoom, right?) and still the cursor won`t move to d2zoom. the psp is set to output progressive, btw.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The D2 doesn't mean D-2 input. It refers to D2 as a resolution (480p) and works on all inputs. I didn't experience any problems. I could also apply the zoom to non-PSP sources, e.g. a PS2 or GameCube with GBA player.

Give it a try with the japanese FW. Menus are the same. Very easy to navigate if you're used the menus already. Maybe it works with the english one once you're used it on the japanese one. Sounds weird, I know, but maybe worth a try.
Eggy

Post by Eggy »

do I have to downgrade my xrgb in order to use the japanese firmware or can I simply choose b2 or b3 mode(fpga select)?
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Has anyone ever experienced mode7 problems on a SNES running through RGB? A friend has his SNES hooked up to an XRGB, and any mode7 game has weird graphical effects that are very weird. Put simply, the mode7 graphics just won't display right (they're all warped, or missing in some cases).

I know it isn't a cable issue, and everything works when we swap his console for mine... it seems to be one of the quirks between different SNES models I guess. Surprised and curious as to why it comes up only when the console is outputting RGB, though. Is there an xrgb setting I don't know about which could possibly compensate for this effect? I doubt it.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

edit: disregard, thought I was in xrgb mini thread =/
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

^These threads can get a little confusing. Once I made a comment about the XRGB-3 in the HD Box thread, boy did I feel silly.
Niraflen

Post by Niraflen »

Eggy wrote:soooo...
now that I have a psp, I`d like to use the d2zoom. has the bug in the english firmware ever been fixed?
The bug with being unable to select this zoom option on the English firmware was fixed not too long after the initial release. The zoom mode was also renamed "PSP" in the English firmware to reflect it's most common usage. I saw your post about this later on in the thread - you might want to double-check that you've installed the latest version of the English firmware yourself if you received your XRGB-3 pre-installed with an English firmware. The firmware's available at Micomsoft's site:

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-3_download.htm

The download link for the English version is under the heading "OSD Rev.3(bug fix.)".
Eggy

Post by Eggy »

thanks, I didn`t know there`s a new version - I used fudoh`s link for updating.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

They should get this firmware stuff working on Windows 7 & Vista.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

It doesn't work on Windows 7 or Vista? Hmm, well there's always Virtualbox and a copy of XP you might just find *ahem* lying around :)
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

I have Windows 7 x64 and the xrgb 3 update works fine
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Thanks for the tip! Guys....
EatenByGrues

Post by EatenByGrues »

So I have a weird issue and wasn't sure what thread to put it in since it involves a few different pieces of hardware. Here it is in a nutshell:

I recently purchased an RGB modded PC Engine DUO-RS from Doujindance on e-bay, and while it works perfectly in B0 mode I'm having some issues in B1 mode. At first I thought it was a sync issue (and it still may be a sync issue) so I also purchased a sync-strike. So my current setup is a bit like this:

DUO-R -> Sync Strike -(D in 2)-> XRGB3 -> LCD

So when I have the AFC setting set at 0, I get an image like this: http://i.imgur.com/fTP9P.jpg

When I set the AFC to 6 or so the wavy lines disappear but the image starts to blink in and out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xL07LVDApM

So as far as I can tell the sync strike isn't doing anything (and perhaps it's the wrong tool for the job here). Just for some more information I have (D in 2) set to RGBC. The behavior is the same with or without the sync strike, and like I said before the image looks fine in B0 mode. It's also the same rather I'm using an external PSU or Scart power on the sync strike.

Any ideas would be welcome.

EDIT: Another interesting discovery. So B0 mode only works if 'lock on v-sync' is disabled. It doesn't seem to affect B1 whether it is enabled or disabled.
Last edited by EatenByGrues on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.