RQ: Giga Wing, Trainyard Scoring Help

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
BareKnuckleRoo

RQ: Giga Wing, Trainyard Scoring Help

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I need some help figuring out what's going on in Clover-YMN's 259 trillion superplay in Stage 2 (when playing as Stuck/Shutock).

* What the hell causes the train carrying the medallion in the first half of the level to use the fireball attack? Reflecting two sets of those fireballs seems to be crucial to cranking the stage multipler up, but whenever I'm playing the train seems to waste time using that wave attack and just runs off after maybe only one fireball attack. Is the attack used determined at random or something?

* What's causing the searchlight at 7:07 to drop medals like crazy (much how that door you can blow open in Stage 4 does)? Normally the searchlight attacks with a spray of bullets you can reflect, but he's actually gotten it to constantly hand out medals for some reason. Does it have to do with not killing the outer turrets at 6:40 (he stays in the middle killing those enemies with the +10 medals)?
Edit: Apparently it's just killing the central tower right after the searchlight that triggers it, derp.

(mod edit - changed thread title to fit strategy forum guidelines)
Kollision

Re: RQ: Giga Wing, Trainyard Scoring Help

Post by Kollision »

#1. It's completely random from what I remember. It sucks. :(
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

#1. You should keep yourself at a distance. In general, the good attacks on this section are about staying away from one train, which will attempt to spam the screen with bigger bullet spreads.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
guigui

Post by guigui »

#2 : for the searchlight to "drop medals like crazy", you have to destroy the big cannon atop the red structure ; obviously before breaking the searchlight itself.

EDIT : now let me ask a question : how does he keep the bomb launchers of the green plane to a fixed angle ? Mine keep on aiming at the opposite direction of my moves.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

use automatic fire to hold the pods in position.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

As long as you're pressing/holding the fire key Stuck's pods stay in place. You can hold fire for a few seconds even after reflecting to reposition yourself with your pods fixed without needing to actually shoot, helpful for boss milking (of course if you're holding when your reflect recharges it'll activate again)
guigui

Post by guigui »

I did not know about that, thanks.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.