RQ: Dodonpachi Resurrection Hyper

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
SchoBoogie

RQ: Dodonpachi Resurrection Hyper

Post by SchoBoogie »

Hello. Sorry if this has been covered before. I looked but didn't see anything. My question is, when hypering in later stages (4&5), is it possible for the hyper to get overwhelmed when cancelling bullets and for you to get hit? Seems like I'm getting popped at random spots when cancelling. Am I missing something? Thanks.
There is no spoon.
Sapz

Re: RQ: Dodonpachi Resurrection Hyper

Post by Sapz »

Yes. Each time you hyper you'll see a number pop up on top of your ship; this is the hyper rank. When this becomes higher, enemy bullet speed, firing rate, and the difficulty of bullet cancelling increases during hypers. This is even more noticable in the second loops when some bullets will turn into suicide bullets and need to be cancelled twice.

In the first loop, hyper rank resets between stages, while in Omote it halves between stage, and in Ura it only drops by 1 between stages.
STGT '11 - #1 | STGT '12 - #1
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

When you say halves, do you mean it will drop from 3 to 1.5? or doe it round up or down to one of the 5 ranks?
lol
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

Not 100% certain, but I think it rounds down. There definitely aren't any half-ranks.
STGT '11 - #1 | STGT '12 - #1
SchoBoogie

Post by SchoBoogie »

Thanks for the help. I've been playing that game on a regular basis and never even noticed the number on the ship.
There is no spoon.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deca

Post by Deca »

DFKBL is a cool distraction but 1.5 is definitely where it's at. It doesn't make a huge impression at first glance but as soon as you start getting into it the game really opens up and shows you how mean it can be. One of the strangest difficulty curves I've ever encountered.

Back on topic:

In the loops you can lower the hyper rank by 1 level every time you trigger a bomb manually, autobombs are definitely something you want to avoid even if you're just playing for survival.
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Seems worth note which hypers duration is shorter in A rote.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Deca wrote: In the loops you can lower the hyper rank by 1 level every time you trigger a bomb manually, autobombs are definitely something you want to avoid even if you're just playing for survival.
this, so much