RQ: Whip Rush (Stages 3, 4 and 5)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
toaplan_shmupfan

RQ: Whip Rush (Stages 3, 4 and 5)

Post by toaplan_shmupfan »

These are questions about Whip Rush (Telenet distributed by Renovation Products) for the Sega Genesis.

I've already got stage 1 through the first half of stage 3 so I can mostly 1 life clear them on both Easy and Normal, unless I make a mistake. The problem is (to me) that the game seems to have a significant difficulty jump after the backwards and upwards scrolling sections of stage 3.

Stage 3:
* Is there a pattern to clearing the scrolling vertical columns, just before the boss? Or just run through them even if it costs a turn or two?
* This boss has rank--with just the basic firepower (after losing a turn), the arms just stretch out; however, with better firepower the arms do fire lasers--is it just skilled dodging or are there safe spots? Or do I have the right idea to lose a couple of turns by running through the vertical columns to keep the rank down?

Stage 4:
* The cramped section with the openings on the top and bottom, and the spinning ships on the angled rails--what's the best way to not get hit, besides just skilled dodging and moving the options?
* Is the boss really that cheap? Seems the tail can totally block the two heads that need to be hit, and that tail has quite a reach.

Stage 5:
* After the obviously memorizer battleship, what's the best way to take out the ship with arms boss? Seems like it's just too narrow to consistently get inside the moving arms to take out the center that comes out and fires shots.
Kollision

Re: RQ: Whip Rush (Stages 3, 4 and 5)

Post by Kollision »

I don't remember much about Whip Rush, but what I did realize when I went for the clear is that the game has rank on bosses. They will ALWAYS get more powerful and more resilient on a single credit, especially in final levels.

Is the boss from stage 5 that one with the moving arms?
I used to activate the lowest speed and move with him inside the arms. It takes focus and a bit of practice but it's perfectly doable.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

With the stage 5 boss, I normally destroy one of the arms first, this grants some breathing room. Then it's just a matter of getting him to follow you (he dips down in three different regions of the screen and will chase after the player ship, so by moving ahead of him, you can guide him back and forth).
TLB

Post by TLB »

I don't know how much use this is, but here is a replay of the MD version (set to begin at the st3 boss): www.youtube.com/watch?v=wohiQRew6ZI#t=10m30s

For the scrolling columns it looks like he just waits until they stop coming (or just runs through). He speedkills the boss.