Raiden DX PCB repair - Fixed!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
opt2not

Raiden DX PCB repair - Fixed!

Post by opt2not »

Hey all,
I picked up a dead Raiden DX board on the cheap, with the hopes of seeing what I can do to get it working. Though I've repaired a couple boards in the past, I am by no means an expert, and those past repairs were simple stuff like failed audio circuits or faulty rom swaps.

Figured I should get a post up in case anyone wants to chime in onto what things I can look out for.
The board was dead-dead, didn't power up at all, black screen, no audio etc... dead.
On top of that, it had evidence that the board was not well stored, but seemed to be sandwiched between other boards. Given the fact that there were scratches all over the place. Check out this cap!
All the caps are like this. In my experience, most of the time capacitors are linked to the audio circuit, and seeing that these were all in the audio section of the board I left them alone till I can get this thing powered.

First things first: Clean the board, look for physical damage.
I took out my trusty magnifying glass and scanned through looking for any kind of blemishes I could find. Primarily looking for broken traces given the amount of scratches.
But the first, most obvious thing I noticed was one of the custom chips had a bunch of legs detached from the board!

On top of that, one of the traces was ripped. I'm guessing something must have snagged on the legs and got yanked when the board was moved around.
I thought "well that must be the reason it doesn't power up".

So with a little hope, I soldered the legs back as best I could, continuity tested to make sure they were in fact connected and not connected to each-other, then plugged it in and voila! The game boots! I was ecstatic there is still some life left in this board! But there's no audio, and the sprites are crap.
It seemed like the game was running properly in demo mode.

So the next thing I looked at was the audio, 'cause I'd like to ascertain whether the game logic was indeed running properly, plus I've fixed audio sections on boards before so I was confident I could find something. Lo and behold I did. There was a tiny broken trace on the bottom side of the board that was linked to the audio section (sorry about the blurry pic, it's hard to get an up-close shot of something this small).
I jumpered the connection as best I could (kinda shanty-like, but it works), powered it up again and the audio worked! Now I can audibly tell that the game logic is intact, I can start a game, select a mission and hear my ship fire, bomb, get destroyed...everything.

Power... check.
Game logic... check.
Audio... check.
Now the graphic problem...

So I get no ship, bullets, explosions, or title sprites at all. All that is displayed is the background sprites all messed up in colours. I thought there could be two possibilities, 1. sprite roms are bunk, 2. the video ram is crap.
At this point I took out my logic probe and started poking around the rams in the video section.
Now I'm not too knowledgeable with logic probes, but what I found seemed to me that a couple of my rams had floating outputs (nether high nor low and not pulsing?). I connected my working Raiden II board to compare my findings in the video section (since the boards are practically the same hardware, I figured it should be similar in function), found out that 2 out of the 4 rams on my DX board seems suspicious.

This is where I think I need some input on what to look for. Is using a logic probe the best tool to ascertain the fault?

I went to my local electronics shop where I usually am able to find most components I run into on a board, hoping to just shotgun the rams, but they didn't have any of these in stock.

Does anyone know a source I can buy these from?

Any input you guys have would be much appreciated, I really hope I can bring this one back from the dead, its such a great game. Right now, it's on life-support!

ps. I've been referencing this thread a lot, since it's the only in-depth look at repairing this board that i could find on the net.
Last edited by opt2not on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
system11

Re: Raiden DX PCB repair, help!

Post by system11 »

The generic type for those RAM is 6116, that'll be easier to find - make sure you get something fast enough.

However, check the chip select and output enable lines first, there could be a reason two aren't doing anything.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

system11 wrote:The generic type for those RAM is 6116, that'll be easier to find - make sure you get something fast enough.

However, check the chip select and output enable lines first, there could be a reason two aren't doing anything.
Thanks for the info on the RAM, I'll look around for them.

OE on one of the suspicious RAM is pulsing fast and neither in high or low. CS is the same.

The other one is low pulsing on OE, and low constant for CS. But I noticed a low tone fluttering pulse on I/O6 and I/O5, the other RAM aren't doing that. That is why I think this one is suspicious as well.
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

I hope you get it running. I'm curious about how much you got it for. I overpaid for my DX board awhile back, but it was ebay and I just wanted the damn thing. I think I paid $250 ($175-$200 is more likely the going rate I THINK). If you got yours for say $50 or something you really made out (assuming you're able to fix it).
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:I'm curious about how much you got it for.
Auction is here. I was tempted to take on the project myself, but wasn't willing to gamble that much.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Thats the one! :)
Definitely was a gamble call, I'm hoping it'll be worth it.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Got another thing to check out this weekend. Got a reply on KLOV about someone recently having the same issues on his board before fixing it:
"I just repaired a DX last week and had the same graphic problems. Besides bent pins on the QFP near the battery area there were a bunch of lifted pins on the QFP near the back edge. Reflowed the entire chip with new solder and the graphics cleared up."
"Number 8 is the one that had the touching pins on the corner but number 6 is the one that cleared up the graphics problems."
The numbers he's referring to are in conjunction with this image (from that link I referred to before):

Here's a description of what does what:
Red 1. Custom SEI0200 (related to Green 3)
Red 2. Custom SEI360 (assorted functions)
Red 3. Sound related (ADPCM).
Red 4. Sound related (ADPCM)
Red 5. Custom SEI150 (Sound related)
Red 6. Custom SEI1000
Red 7. NEC V30 CPU
Red 8. Custom SEI252 (Sprite related)

Green 1. '5' is for the sound code, '6' is for the APDCM sound samples
Green 2. Main CPU program code
Green 3. Chars EPROM (ie text are assorted graphics plus scrolling (if removed))

Yellow 1. I/O Related.
Yellow 2. TTL chips for interfacing with the two large black mask ROMs below them for the background graphics
Yellow 3. Sprite RAM (the fourth RAM at the top edge of the yellow ellipse is sound RAM)
Yellow 4. Sprite related

Blue area. Program RAM

In addition to all that, just to the right of Green 1 are two other RAM chips, these are for the colour data

Also, the two RAMs immediately to the right of Red 1 are the RAM for the background tiles and the larger intro animations (ie to do with Green 3).
Now these Customs scare the crap outta me. Mainly because if they're gone, it would kill this project (unless I can find a donor board - either RII or another DX).
I'm going to check the soldering on both of those QFP's, perhaps a re-flowing is in order. We'll see what happens.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

SUCCESS!

Ended up re-flowing the solder on a couple of those custom surface mount QFP's I mentioned earlier, plugged it back in and it came out perfect!
Checked the logic on those RAM I was worried about before, and they look all good now. Looks like I didn't need to swap out them after all. Good thing I didn't pull the trigger yet on a purchase.
I now have a fully working Raiden DX board! :applaud: :D All sprites are drawing properly, sound is working, coin up, buttons, everything!
I'm going smoke-test it a little while longer and see if there are any more quirks that'll show up.

Big thanks to XianXi over at KLOV who pointed me to exactly what to look at, and everyone who put input in on this fix.

To recap:

Problem 1: Dead Board, didn't power up at all.
Solution: Big QFP near the edge connector (Red 2) had lifted pins off the board. Re-soldered them down and board powered up.

Problem 2: No sound
Solution: Found a broken trace in the audio circuit. Jumped the connection, audio now works.

Problem 3: Game logic works, but all sprites were missing and background sprites had completely bad colours displayed
Solution: Re-flowed the solder on one of the QFP handling video signals (Red 6 and Red 8)

Cheers all!
:D
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

oh man! you son of a bitch. what a deal on an awesome game.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Yeeeeeeeeeah, I'm a lucky SOB!! The gamble paid off!
I'm going to put this in my cocktail cabinet for now, but sometime really soon I need to tate my monitor on my NAC for shmups.

Really glad I got this one settled.
I've got a 1942 board that is dead-dead as well, this repair is giving me the momentum to try my hand at repairing that board now!
8)
rtw

Post by rtw »

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing with us all!
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work