RQ: PLEASE...HELP needed with plane movement in Skull Fang..

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
dave4shmups

RQ: PLEASE...HELP needed with plane movement in Skull Fang..

Post by dave4shmups »

I really need some help with this.

Both the manual and the in-game demo suggest that you have to hit up-right-down and the "C" button in order to turn your plane around, but in practice, it doesn't work. And which planes can't you do this with, aside from the A-10?

Also, how do you switch between "S-Unit" and "H-Unit" weapons??

Any advice would really be appreciated; thanks!
Last edited by dave4shmups on Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Don't quote me on any of these, but I vaguely remember reading some stuff about this game (I think Malc himself might've originally posted it someplace).

To make your plane turn around and shoot in a different direction, I think you need to select a "fighter type" plane instead of a "bomber type" (or something like that); while flying it, you can use certain quarter-circle-ish joystick movements to turn the plane around either 45 or 90 degrees, in either direction. I think it might show some of the actual combinations in the tutorial, or else in the instruction manual. If you use a "bomber" type you can't turn your plane around, but you get a "smart bomb"-ish attack instead of the "spin move" that the "fighter" planes get, I'm still not sure exactly how that works.

As for the "throttle," if you use one of the non-automatic settings (one of them has 2 settings to shift between, the other has 5 or 6, I think) you can shift the speed at which the plane moves (or, more accurately, how fast the background scrolls by). Going faster obviously makes it harder to react to stuff, but also gives you the opportunity for a higher time bonus at the end of the stage. Also, during boss fights, the boss will often speed himself up or slow himself down too, so you have to adjust your throttle accordingly to keep him onscreen to keep doing damage. It's a pretty unique play mechanic, and kind of cool imo, it gives you the feeling that you're really chasing the enemy down, rather than just kind of arriving there and stopping at that spot till he (or you) is dead. Of course, the game's still got its problems, but hey, heh heh.

Hopefully that helps a little.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

BulletMagnet wrote:Don't quote me on any of these, but I vaguely remember reading some stuff about this game (I think Malc himself might've originally posted it someplace).

To make your plane turn around and shoot in a different direction, I think you need to select a "fighter type" plane instead of a "bomber type" (or something like that); while flying it, you can use certain quarter-circle-ish joystick movements to turn the plane around either 45 or 90 degrees, in either direction. I think it might show some of the actual combinations in the tutorial, or else in the instruction manual. If you use a "bomber" type you can't turn your plane around, but you get a "smart bomb"-ish attack instead of the "spin move" that the "fighter" planes get, I'm still not sure exactly how that works.

As for the "throttle," if you use one of the non-automatic settings (one of them has 2 settings to shift between, the other has 5 or 6, I think) you can shift the speed at which the plane moves (or, more accurately, how fast the background scrolls by). Going faster obviously makes it harder to react to stuff, but also gives you the opportunity for a higher time bonus at the end of the stage. Also, during boss fights, the boss will often speed himself up or slow himself down too, so you have to adjust your throttle accordingly to keep him onscreen to keep doing damage. It's a pretty unique play mechanic, and kind of cool imo, it gives you the feeling that you're really chasing the enemy down, rather than just kind of arriving there and stopping at that spot till he (or you) is dead. Of course, the game's still got its problems, but hey, heh heh.

Hopefully that helps a little.
Thanks for that information, but I still cannot rotate my craft, so any more advice would be appreciated!
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I remember if you let the demo show, it will teach you how to rotate your ship.

I have this game, but I think I popped it in the Saturn just two times. It's CRAP! How can this be called the sequel to Vapor Trail is beyond my understanding... Vapor Trail was fun !