Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Icarus

Re: Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

Post by Icarus »

1) The hyper gauge definitely looks like it's tied to the chaining timer gauge and item collection to me. Use Shot to drive the chain bar into max (and switch on the light above it), then switch to Laser to suck in stuff to fuel the hyper meter. This can probably be cleverly boosted by use of bullet-cancelling enemies, like the towers in stage3. It also seems that you're able to charge the hyper bar albeit very slowly, if at all, while in hyper mode, but it looks like it tops out at lv0 99%, which means that the only real way to get hypers in this situation is through bee medals.
2) I still think the rank meter can go to 99 on particularly mental plays.
3) Stages still seem a little short in comparison to both Daioujou and Daifukkatsu. Hoping for a hidden route of some sort, perhaps.
4) Shuri in her casuals has that "sexy teacher" thing going on, mmmm. Can't beat Maria in her two-piece, though. <3
5) Looks like fun. I would like to see vids of more skilled players taking on the location test at some point, to get a better idea of how to manipulate the systems. This Shuri player had a good grasp of the system, it appears.
Last edited by Icarus on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

R.I.P. CRT cabs
Formless God

Post by Formless God »

Stage 2
Yeah, I think it's a bit peaceful compared to DOJ. It's just 'popcorn, sudden wall, simple stream that doesn't even require misdirecting, repeat'. I hope they will remedy this with a 2nd loop or at least a more rapid rank increase.

Boss fights seem balls tough on the other hand. We haven't seen anyone clear all 3 stages on Expert (at least not on video), and the first boss is supposed to have destructible side pods but no one's succeeded in doing so yet.
RegalSin wrote:Then again sex is no diffrent then sticking a stick down some hole to make a female womenly or girl scream or make noise.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

I think the difficulty is alright. Expert style looks a lot tougher than DOJ at least.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

I'm fine with the difficulty, but I was expecting something like Touhou Lunatic. I guess with the whole Fun For The Whole Family approach, it wasn't meant to be.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Hyper level counter. Since the second video uses this in the second stage, it obviously carries between stages. I mean, we're not going to have people no-missing and racking it up as much as possible, only to let it loose as late as possible, right?
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Elixir wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about the Hyper level counter. Since the second video uses this in the second stage, it obviously carries between stages. I mean, we're not going to have people no-missing and racking it up as much as possible, only to let it loose as late as possible, right?
Since the scoring in all Dodonpachis are based on HIT, stocking a bunch for the last level is theoretically possible, but sub-optimal, as you'd lose a lot of potential points from earlier stages. Sure, you can keep the rank low for easy passage, but I wouldn't be surprised if a second loop condition required something challenging, like a combination of no-miss, all bee medals, a very high score of some level, and being over a particular rank level. Or even all of the above.
From what I've observed of the system from the numerous videos, using hypers liberally, and most definitely on bosses, is the way to go - exactly like Daioujou, then, only with more regular hypering.

One curious aspect of the game I haven't quite figured out yet is what determines the amount of hyper you get from bee medals - in these videos, sometimes I've seen 30% given, sometimes I've seen 0%. I'm guessing it's also tied to the chaining timer gauge, but I haven't quite figured out the correlation yet.

EDIT: If it's anything like Daioujou, hyper gain from bees is based on current chain count.

EDIT 2: Yes, it is tied to HIT. Mmmm, a Dodonpachi with constant hypering? Yes please.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Skykid wrote: ...that video was a bit boring to watch. I was yawning on the 2nd stage.
I got constantly distracted by the kid chewing gum in the background. Then by the gum-chewing girl. And then by the gum-chewing old guy.
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Stage 3 midboss looks fun! :)
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

SuperPang wrote: Nice choice of cab Cave

What kind of cab is that?
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

lol at the thought of level 99 hypers.
Korszca

Post by Korszca »

kid aphex wrote:

River Service's New Delta
Formless God

Post by Formless God »

That user just had a couple videos up showing S2 Expert and S3 Normal. People get hit so easily here ...
Is it just me or your ship moves terribly slow even when using shot ?
RegalSin wrote:Then again sex is no diffrent then sticking a stick down some hole to make a female womenly or girl scream or make noise.
Barrakketh

Post by Barrakketh »

Korszca wrote:
kid aphex wrote:

River Service's New Delta
More. Video here (you can see Futari being used in the video).

The display can be rotated for vert or hori play, and it also supports 15K/24K/31K games.
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Hmmm, a beauty it ain't, that cab, but looks very versatile. And according to the link it is quite a bit cheaper than a Vewlix...

I wonder how good the monitor really is, though.
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Not really related to the game, but I got a chuckle when I read the following from here:
Pick a setting that emphasizes the basic wide-range shot, and they'll wear combat outfits (which are apparently maid-like getups). Pick a powerful laser and fewer bombs, and they'll wear their casual clothes. Pick the toughest difficulty level, with lethal standard fire and only one bomb, and they'll wear bikinis. By this logic, the game should have a novice-player mode where all of the characters wear full medieval armor or clanking Victorian diving suits, but I doubt Cave will consider that.
I really hope they add that in if they do a home port.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

The unlockable ultra mode will be titled "insanity naked hunter".
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

brokenhalo wrote:The unlockable ultra mode will be titled "insanity naked hunter".
Given the kind of stuff that Nagi Ryou tends to draw, I wouldn't be surprised if this was in Saidaioujou Black Label.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

...and removal of the scrambled censorship bits will be a DLC item.
chempop

Post by chempop »

I hope it's their last game... I hate to think what they'd do with Deathsmiles 3 or ESPGaluda 3 if this art direction were to continue.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

chempop wrote:I hope it's their last game... I hate to think what they'd do with Deathsmiles 3 or ESPGaluda 3 if this art direction were to continue.
For whatever it's worth, though, most of this stuff isn't as ""central" to the experience as it could be - save for the mid-stage art and whatnot, most of the game is spaceships blowing up bigger spaceships. I'd rather they keep making games like this than quit making them altogether.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

BulletMagnet wrote:...and removal of the scrambled censorship bits will be a DLC item.
No way I'm paying DLC prices to remove mosaics. That's what the interwebz is for.
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

So is anyone here actually buying the PCB? Is that possible outside Japan without a proxy buyer?

If so, I might be able to convince the arcade around here to pick it up. It would certainly turn them into a multi-state-wide destination. ~$3000 has to be considerably less than whatever Darius Burst AC goes for, which they turned down despite their interest.

Back before DFK came out, there was another arcade where the owner said he had plans to buy the game, and there was already an Espgaluda cab on the floor, but he went out of business first. So I was forced to wait for the PAL 360 release.
chempop

Post by chempop »

I hope it's their last game... I hate to think what they'd do with Deathsmiles 3 or ESPGaluda 3 if this art direction were to continue.
For whatever it's worth, though, most of this stuff isn't as ""central" to the experience as it could be - save for the mid-stage art and whatnot, most of the game is spaceships blowing up bigger spaceships. I'd rather they keep making games like this than quit making them altogether.
I know I know, I just don't want to be associated with a culture that flocks towards transgender fairies and loligoth witches...
oh crap, I'm too late.

I actually like the in-between-stage art in DOJ and the transforming mecha-loli bosses in DFK, but "dress system" and "Bikini mode" seems a little... how should I put this... fucking retarded?

[sorry, I'll stop complaining...]
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
TonK

Post by TonK »

Estebang wrote:So is anyone here actually buying the PCB? Is that possible outside Japan without a proxy buyer?

If so, I might be able to convince the arcade around here to pick it up. It would certainly turn them into a multi-state-wide destination. ~$3000 has to be considerably less than whatever Darius Burst AC goes for, which they turned down despite their interest.

Back before DFK came out, there was another arcade where the owner said he had plans to buy the game, and there was already an Espgaluda cab on the floor, but he went out of business first. So I was forced to wait for the PAL 360 release.
I'm sure there are a few people who will buy the game upon release.

I do fail to see the "fun" that everyone is speaking of - if I were an arcade op, I doubt I'd buy this.

From what I have been told by some members - the lines to play were short and barely anyone was there.

I may be wrong... maybe my opinion will change once I play it.
eckart

Post by eckart »

Will cave produce only on demand this time?
Or missunderstood i something wrong with thoose pre-order auctions?
TheSoundofRed

Post by TheSoundofRed »

The only detracting factor I think the artstyle has for me is that it doesn't seem to fit the DDP universe. This new direction seems more of a J-POP twist on the elemental doll theme from previous DDP titles. I'm not adverse to the art itself, but more how it fits in the series.

That said, I like the way the game is looking from a gameplay perspective. Looking forward to getting more info.
Special World

Post by Special World »

I don't know how you can say the artstyle doesn't fit with DDP when the series doesn't seem to have any set style.

DDP is straightforward, clean, and colorful, DOJ is gritty and run-down, and DFK is garishly hyper-saturated.

If anything, this looks like it continues the DFK style. If you mean the character designs, I don't think those ever had a running style either.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
austere

Post by austere »

! Non-bullet canceling game by Cave (if I've skimmed things correctly/interpreted the A-shot video right)...

I'm going to pretend this thread doesn't exist until after I finish my PhD. Ughhh...
<RegalSin> It does not matter, which programming language you use, you will be up your neck in math.
TheSoundofRed

Post by TheSoundofRed »

Special World wrote:I don't know how you can say the artstyle doesn't fit with DDP when the series doesn't seem to have any set style.

DDP is straightforward, clean, and colorful, DOJ is gritty and run-down, and DFK is garishly hyper-saturated.

If anything, this looks like it continues the DFK style. If you mean the character designs, I don't think those ever had a running style either.
Good point. Still don't think the character focus fits with DDP, especially the moe dress up emphasis. It's probably that I can't help but think of Inoue's art when I think of a Cave release. Why do I have to like Guwange so much?
Formless God

Post by Formless God »

LOOK AT ALL THOSE BOOOOOOOOOOBS

Element Dolls ? I almost thought they were humans.

P.S. I kept seeing people mention a 'Kyoto loc test' 'this week'. Was AOU held in Kyoto ? If not then we might have another loc test very soon.