Linux shmups?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
tommyb

Linux shmups?

Post by tommyb »

I am running Ubuntu 11.10 and was wondering what kind of shmups, if any, are available to me besides the Kenta Cho ones?

I have found all of those in the Ubuntu Software Center, not too impressed with most of 'em.

I'm talking about Linux-ported shmups, too. Not shmups that will run well in Wine, because I can't get my damn stick to work in Wine for some reason.
Estebang

Re: Linux shmups?

Post by Estebang »

There are plenty of Linux emulators, but I think you're out of luck otherwise. Linux has always been a platform for coders and business applications, not multimedia.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

Yeah that's why I switched over to Linux.

MAME runs flawlessly on my Linux machine, which is great, I was just wondering if there was anything else I could get running here. Thanks!
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=12834
That should do you some good.

Some of these games are also on Windows/MAC FYI.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Estebang wrote:There are plenty of Linux emulators, but I think you're out of luck otherwise. Linux has always been a platform for coders and business applications, not multimedia.
Mednafen emulator ran great on Ubuntu last time I tried....and don't get brainwashed by babylon trying to dismiss it as "not for people like us"- distros like Ubuntu have excellent multimedia support. Linux is for everyone, linux is the future!
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I think Kobo Deluxe was a Linux shmup of sorts originally. It's available on the Wii too - it got a 'Wii Linux' port to Wii homebrew which is how I know of it. Good game.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

mjclark wrote:
Estebang wrote:There are plenty of Linux emulators, but I think you're out of luck otherwise. Linux has always been a platform for coders and business applications, not multimedia.
Mednafen emulator ran great on Ubuntu last time I tried....and don't get brainwashed by babylon trying to dismiss it as "not for people like us"- distros like Ubuntu have excellent multimedia support. Linux is for everyone, linux is the future!
I have never even heard of this Mednafen. Looks awesome! I will be trying it out shortly, thanks!
ZenErik

Post by ZenErik »

I'd love to switch to Linux only, but then I can't play my doujin shmups... :/ Syncing my iPhone would be a lesser issue but still an issue.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

ZenErik wrote:I'd love to switch to Linux only, but then I can't play my doujin shmups... :/ Syncing my iPhone would be a lesser issue but still an issue.
Syncing is very easy through Banshee, Ubuntu's media player. Plug and play, no extra downloads or tweaking needed.

Doujin shmups would probably run decently under Wine if you have a strong enough system.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Ubuntu basically smokes Windows in every category outside of gaming.
ZenErik

Post by ZenErik »

tommyb wrote:
ZenErik wrote:I'd love to switch to Linux only, but then I can't play my doujin shmups... :/ Syncing my iPhone would be a lesser issue but still an issue.
Syncing is very easy through Banshee, Ubuntu's media player. Plug and play, no extra downloads or tweaking needed.

Doujin shmups would probably run decently under Wine if you have a strong enough system.
AMD A-series laptop. Not the best processor, but it's quad core and the GPU is pretty darn good for the budget price.

I am not looking for my shmups to run decently. I am looking for them to run just as well as on Windows with no compatibility issues. Possible?
kernow

Post by kernow »

Gus wrote:Ubuntu basically smokes Windows in every category outside of gaming.
I'll take windows 7 thanks, my days of being a staunch linux desktop zealot are lonnng over.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

ZenErik wrote:
I am not looking for my shmups to run decently. I am looking for them to run just as well as on Windows with no compatibility issues. Possible?
I think so, never know until you try, though. Wine seems to run everything great. It even ran my games in MAME32UI under Wine pretty well, until I just got MAME for Linux.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to get my HRAP VX SA to work under Wine.
ZenErik

Post by ZenErik »

tommyb wrote:
ZenErik wrote:
I think so, never know until you try, though. Wine seems to run everything great. It even ran my games in MAME32UI under Wine pretty well, until I just got MAME for Linux.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to get my HRAP VX SA to work under Wine.
Deal breaker. I have two RAP sticks. No work. No Linux. :P
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

Yeah, Wine for some reason can't figure out how to use Xinput.

The only workaround I found was to download Xpadder onto my Linux machine, run that in Wine and then run whatever I wanted to control with my stick in Wine.

It works but it's a pain in the ass.
FetusZero

Post by FetusZero »

I guess Jamestown. They released a Linux version alongside one of the Humble Indie Bundle not long ago.

http://www.desura.com/games/jamestown-l ... ost-colony\

Last time I tried it was in Ubuntu 10.10 and it worked but I didn't get any sound. I never bothered troubleshooting why though, as I went back to 10.04 shortly after (LTS unlike 10.10, and I can't stand Unity, nor can I stand Gnome3. I just hate that whole new "tablet" interface they give to everything).
-.The.Fear.of.Blood.Tends.to.Create.Fear.for.the.Flesh.-