Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BuckoA51

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by BuckoA51 »

Does composite sync (clean and pure, separated through LM1881 or directly from the system) grants a better image quality compared to when composite video is used for syncing in RGB?
In some instances it can but not necessarily.
mame on xbox beats the XXX in 1 jamma board imho, its only the resolution output that makes it fall below the ultimate replacement.
So Xbox MAME cannot do native 15khz then?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

xbox/xbox360 can only do 480i in 15khz. No one has implemented (or attempted to) 240p output.
ryu

Post by ryu »

the vp30 only outputs analog rgb via 5x bnc. i just checked amazon for bnc cabels and all i came up with were pretty cheap single bnc to bnc cabels, and a few 5x bnc to 5x bnc from a single shop - starting at 120 euros for 1m!

from what it looks to me, i guess all 5 bnc ports use the same cabel anyways. can i just buy 5 separate cheap bnc cabels for this?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

of course, you can get the cheapest you can find. Usually it should RG59 cables with 75 ohms (RG58 has 50 ohms), but for short runs even that doesn't matter. You can also get two 5xBNC to VGA cables (around 5 EUR on ebay.de) and use a gender changer to plug them together.
ryu

Post by ryu »

glad to hear that, thanks.

i noticed there's a difference in the preset vga output between the hd+ and vp30. since i can adjust that stuff manuallyi don't think it should be a problem, but i thought i'd ask just in case: i don't have to worry about potentially damaging the display or anything by switching this stuff around (refering to resolution, scan type, sync signal line/type and colour space), right?
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Have you already got a VP30 ?

As long as your iScan's output is connected to the PGM you should try and NOT chose anything higher than 31.5 khz on the output. The VP30 instantly switches if you move the slider down from VGA (or 480p). You can change the detailed timings as much as you want as long as you keep the bandwith within the 31.5khz range. 480p and VGA are the only two preset timings you should use. 480p is the better choice as it's horizontal resolution is slightly higher (720 pixels vs. 640 pixels).
ryu

Post by ryu »

good thing i asked, so i know to set the output correctly before i plug the vp30 into the tv. no matter what the detailed settings, 480p and vga can't be using any higher bandwith than 31.5khz right?

which setting would effect the bandwith anyways, is it the resolution? i just checked the manual again and it doesn't say anything at all about this.

i don't own a vp30 yet.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

vertical resoluton (incl. front/back porch) x refresh rate = horizontal scan rate
ryu

Post by ryu »

so the khz thing is the horizontal scan rate? eh, i'm confused again anyways because i had just read in another thread that apparently the sync signal line/type also contributes to the signal's khz.

anyways, 480p and vga preset setting on the vp30 are (for 480p) 720x480 res, sg line Y, sg type bi-level and color space YPbPr and (for vga) 640x480 res, sg line Y, sg type tri-level and color space YPbPr respectively.

this seems pretty similar, but what had me wonder about this originally is that the hd+ has a different setting for vga output. it does 640x480 res, sg line H-V-, sg type none and color space RGB.

will any of these be fine?

something completely different. i noticed you got to manually enter the settings for the video input. what happens if the source is different from these settings, would it pass-through the signal or would nothing happen? i'm asking this just in case, since i don't want to accidentally pass-through the ps3's 576p, if it should happen to output that for whatever reason, to the monitor.
btw is 720p always 16:9? because iirc the ps3 still lets you choose between 4:3 and 16:9 even if a hd compatible cable is used. if 720p is always 16:9, i guess choosing 4:3 would make it output 576p?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

To drive a Sony PGM (or other CRT) you wouldn't use SoG or YPbPr output. You would use 31khz RGBHV. That's full range RGB color space, with two seperate sync lines (H+V). You can set the VP30's output to any of those, but you really only need classic VGA (RGBHV).

The VP30 does not have passthrough. In the output menu you can set the output refresh rate for ANY input. So you simply set 50Hz -> 60Hz (and 60Hz -> 60Hz of course) and you're set. If you input 576p50 from a PS3, it will get converted to 480p60.
ryu

Post by ryu »

The VP30 does not have passthrough.
You just meant it won't just passthrough the input picture the way it is as long as the output is set differently, yes?

I can still input 480p and output 480p, right? I planned to use this to hook up a Wii and PS2 via component too.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Even with the output set to the same specs as the input, it's no passthrough mode. Processing is still active.

In your case EVERYTHING would be output at 480p. 240p, 288p, 480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i - EVERYTHING :)
ryu

Post by ryu »

well, as long it works it's fine by me. nice.
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 »

I'm having a small issue, I've got a super nintendo hooked into a Sync Strike/CGA-VGA and there's no video. Which is weird because that same cable works just fine for my N64. My SNES can't be the problem because it works with the standard A/V cable so I'm thinking its the Sync strike, but I cant figure out what it is. Everything is connected as it should be and everything was working before.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

There's a difference between PAL and NTSC SNES cables. Your N64 is RGB modded, so it can be done to either standard. The difference are the capacitors inside the cable. PAL GameCube Scart cables are the same as NTSC SNES Scart cables. A bit weird... Do you use a PAL or NTSC SNES ? Can you check inside your scart cable for the capacitors ?
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 »

I ordered the cable from retroconsoleaccesories on ebay.

I'm using an American SNES. Also, my Genesis 2 wont work either.

Weirdest thing? This all worked 2 days ago. I triple checked all the connections and everything. My Saturn and N64 work just fine just all of a sudden Genesis and Snes give me "no signal".
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Does a j-pac:

convert 31khz vga to 15khz 240p properly like the UVC?

edit: Answered my own question :oops: the answer is No.

"Is there anything else I need to know before ordering?

It's important to understand the implications of using an arcade monitor on a PC before connecting up. The J-PAC is not a scan converter. For best picture quality the J-PAC does not convert the scan rate, you need to correctly configure the PC for 15Khz (if you have a 15Khz monitor), just as if you used a passive cable. Not all video cards support 15Khz mode. Our ArcadeVGA card is the ideal partner for a J-PAC as it outputs a 15Khz video signal right from boot. Don't expect a great Windows desktop on an fixed-frequency standard-res arcade monitor though because they can only display 240 lines and so a 640X480 screen must be interlaced which results in some 30Hz flicker on horizontal lines. This will not affect games, as these were designed to run on this type of monitor.
Making the effort to get the configuration right will reward you with an arcade-perfect picture which is difficult to achieve with an expensive scan converter." from the faq section.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

rugdoctor wrote:
Is there anything else I need to know before ordering?.
It depends, what will you be using it for?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

emphatic wrote:
rugdoctor wrote:
Is there anything else I need to know before ordering?.
It depends, what will you be using it for?
Sorry, that question was actually snipped from the faq...so in a way, its a question to the answer :roll: ..ultimarc people puts questions to their answers to relate to the potential consumers :roll: :roll:
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

:lol:
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

emphatic wrote::lol:
Got a simple question for you...going to get a uvc off ebay today and was wondering whether the the pins on the power supply are configured the same as any hdd power supply? I.e. straight plug in play.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

yes, they are.
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Thanks Fudoh :)
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

Given the shape of the plug, you wouldn't think it possible to insert the wrong way round, but I managed it when reaching around behind my PC with a mess of other cables in the way (it didn't go right in but the pins must have made contact). Sure enough, it killed the UVC :x
Don't bomb. DON'T BOMB.
Damn! Should have bombed.
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

stuntman wrote:Given the shape of the plug, you wouldn't think it possible to insert the wrong way round, but I managed it when reaching around behind my PC with a mess of other cables in the way (it didn't go right in but the pins must have made contact). Sure enough, it killed the UVC :x
:shock:

Luckily still readily available on ebay...damn shipping is high though.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Weirdest thing? This all worked 2 days ago. I triple checked all the connections and everything. My Saturn and N64 work just fine just all of a sudden Genesis and Snes give me "no signal".
Are you using an external PSU with your Sync Strike?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 »

BuckoA51 wrote:
I'm using the red and black wires from the CgA to VGa scaler. The big red switch it set to PSU.
SunJammer

Post by SunJammer »

Smashbro29 wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:
I'm using the red and black wires from the CgA to VGa scaler. The big red switch it set to PSU.
try flipping the switch to the other direction. on my Sync Strike the labels on the power switch are reversed. To be sure, confirm that when your console is OFF, the power light is still lit on the Sync Strike
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

can the uVC's 15Khz output be directly wired to a scart plug and used on a scart crt tv?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

rugdoctor wrote:can the uVC's 15Khz output be directly wired to a scart plug and used on a scart crt tv?
Should work with resistors or potentiometers on the RGB lines just like a supergun.