Shadow Tower: Abyss(PS2, From Software) translation patch

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Jonathan Ingram

Shadow Tower: Abyss(PS2, From Software) translation patch

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

Shadow Tower: Abyss is a first-person action/RPG in the vein of From Software`s own King`s Field series and a precursor to Demon`s Souls and Dark Souls. It was supposed to be localized by Agetec, but SCEA blocked the release for whatever reason. Now it can be enjoyed in English thanks to the awesome individuals from Sword of Moonlight forums.

Grab the patch here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=622WLKFZ

The patch is in PPF format. A program like PPF-o-Matic is required to apply it to the DVD image.

Gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6lksFOmsz8

The game runs full speed in PCSX2 and I haven`t encountered any bugs so far. Took a few screenshots:

Ghegs

Re: Shadow Tower: Abyss(PS2, From Software) translation patch

Post by Ghegs »

Oh damn. I loved the King's Field series but never got into the Shadow Tower games. Might just have to track down a copy now.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Do you have a link to the project page / forum thread? I quickly looked at swordofmoonlight.com and didn't see anything ...

Thanks!
Jonathan Ingram

shmuppyLove wrote:Do you have a link to the project page / forum thread? I quickly looked at swordofmoonlight.com and didn't see anything ...

Thanks!
http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/ind ... 98#msg7498
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Oh! I really enjoyed King's Field IV and I remember pining for Shadow Tower Abyss after I completed it. Will download soon.
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

That's awesome! I was always disappointed that SONY rejected the official English version of this game.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

This game is strange and confusing. I've explored a few areas. I opened a door and there was a giant insect who said 'I AM IMMORTAL' so I just turned around and walked away. I wandered until I found a save point by which point all my weapons were broken except the first dagger you get because I repaired it by accident. I'm out of ammo, except for guns I don't have, and I haven't got enough money to really improve the situation. The only thing I can be sure of is that more horrors await me.
Jonathan Ingram

Well, yes, this game may be rather punishing at times and it requires you to be very resourceful with your possessions. Here`s a few tips on how to make things a little more bearable:

- Make sure you always have at least a few healing potions with you. They can be found on the ground in different places, dropped by monsters or bought from the vendor for 2 Cunes(the game`s currency).

- There are two ways to repair your equipment. One involves using Dorado`s Ashes(5 Cunes at the vendor crystal). The other is using the repair crystal which mends your stuff in exchange for a portion of your life. Usually a full life bar is enough to repair several items, so never use a health potion to restore your life after repairing just one item(unless you were already low on HP before repairing). Repair several of them and only then use the potion.

- Try not to waste too much money on equipment and weapons, especially early on in the game. A lot of them are dropped by monsters, and you`ll find tons more if you thoroughly search the levels(some are hidden behind breakable walls).

- Don`t carry all the weapons and equipment around with you. Always sell the stuff you don`t need at the vendor crystal. Selling a single piece of equipment nets you 2 Cunes. That way you can rack up money very quickly.

- This is a no brainer, but try not to get hit too much. Otherwise you`ll quickly deplete your supply of potions and ruin your equipment. Proceed carefully and observe the monsters` attack patterns. In some situations it may be better to reload the save and start anew.

A good walkthrough of the game can be found here: http://shadowtowerabyss.kings-field.com/

I opened a door and there was a giant insect who said 'I AM IMMORTAL' so I just turned around and walked away.
The insect queen is protected by the crystal above. To the right of her there`s a door. That`s where you need to go. Eventually you`ll arrive at the room that houses the said crystal. Break it, then return to the queen`s quarters and kill her in one hit(she won`t put up any resistance). The passage behind her will be open and you`ll get your first magic ring which will allow you to use fire magic.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Ah, thanks for that Ingram. Part of what makes these games so good is that they don't hold you hand, but you have just saved me an hour of mindless wandering and those tips sound helpful. I can reload my other save and head straight for the Queen.
Jonathan Ingram

Just finished the game and I`m still almost as clueless as to what actually happened in it as I was when I`d played through it in Japanese. The story is a mindfuck.

Completion time - 19:47
End game stats:

Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Could this be considered a "transitional" game between the King's Field and Souls series?
Jonathan Ingram

Estebang wrote:Could this be considered a "transitional" game between the King's Field and Souls series?
It could, I guess. This game improves upon King`s Field games in several areas like controls and inventory management, but otherwise it`s still much closer to them than it is to the Souls series.