GD: Musha

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
CMoon

GD: Musha

Post by CMoon »

Probably not deep enough to deserve serious discussion, but as I'm nearing the 1cc (I assume 'destroy their leader' is the final level), I figure I might as well ask a few questions.

1) Your 'assist' ships seem to run out faster depending on what configuration you use. It is because they simply use more energy in different configurations (like 'free' for instance) or are they actually getting hit by bullets and hence more vulnerable depending on the configuration.

2) Is there one ideal sub weapon (given they can be more powerful than your main weapon, calling them sub-weapons seems unfair)? Although I favor the shield (I just seem to last longer with it), all the weapons seem pretty awesome. I actually have never seen the green laser fully powered up, I imagine it has some awe-inspiring fire power.

3) There does seem to be some moments of invulnerability--right after picking up power-ups, right after getting hit while having a sub-weapon, touching a sub-weapon icon, etc. Thoughts on this little window of invulnerability (definitely not so exploitable as Zanac Neo).

Man, I do love this game, and find it much better than the afore mentioned Zanac Neo--the music, the graphics, the enemy lay-outs, everything just seems completely perfect!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Herr Schatten

Re: GD: Musha

Post by Herr Schatten »

Yes, a great game it is. One of Compile's finest.
CMoon wrote:1) Your 'assist' ships seem to run out faster depending on what configuration you use. It is because they simply use more energy in different configurations (like 'free' for instance) or are they actually getting hit by bullets and hence more vulnerable depending on the configuration.
They are getting hit by enemy bullets, so if you put them into certain formation modes, they will get in the way of enemy fire more often and be shot down a lot. I usually put them to the formation mode (forgot its name) where they alway fire in the opposite direction of where you're going, because then I can deal damage while retreating from enemies.
CMoon wrote:2) Is there one ideal sub weapon (given they can be more powerful than your main weapon, calling them sub-weapons seems unfair)? Although I favor the shield (I just seem to last longer with it), all the weapons seem pretty awesome. I actually have never seen the green laser fully powered up, I imagine it has some awe-inspiring fire power.
The subweapons are finely balanced (unlike in Dennin Aleste where I can't get anywhere without the laser). I usually stick to the missiles, as they have the perfect balance between coverage and power. The laser's shot frequency is to low for me and the blue shield is generally too weak. Plus there's always the odd bullet that passes through it when you least expect it.
CMoon wrote:3) There does seem to be some moments of invulnerability--right after picking up power-ups, right after getting hit while having a sub-weapon, touching a sub-weapon icon, etc. Thoughts on this little window of invulnerability (definitely not so exploitable as Zanac Neo).
You have a short moment of invulnerability everytime you pick up something or if you lose your subweapon, but it's too short to use it for anything else than getting out of trouble quickly.

P.S.: Your avatar rocks. I always wanted to say that. It's from the Moomin books by Tove Jansson, right?
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

For the sub-weapons, I've always found the power level three bomb to be the best. This is where it fires two of them out in front of you, and upon detonation, they trail upwards. I've never liked the black hole that's created when this sub-weapon's fully powered, as it pulls the enemies right into your face, and the triple bombs shot out at power level 4 do you no good when dealing with a lot of enemies or bosses. But the at power level 3, it keeps the bombs closer together, packs a good punch for fighting bosses and sub-bosses (as well as destroying their missiles and such), and still gives you some wider coverage for knocking out the smaller enemies that often fill the screen.

For the side options, I always try to keep the side options firing in a "V" formation during the stages. Much of the time, you're in wide open spaces, and don't have to worry about navigating narrow corridors. As such, leaving them firing in a "V" helps get all those enemies coming out along the sides of the screen. This formation also helps stop enemy bullets from hitting you. After all, I'd rather loose an option than a life.

Once a boss comes in, I quickly cycle through the firing set up until the options are firing straight forward. This helps with pummeling the bosses, and it helps peg any destructible missiles they may fire.

When the few narrow passages come along, I go with the setting Herr Schatten mentioned. This puts the options right in front and back of your ship, so they're not taken out by the nearby sides. Once I'm out of the narrow areas, I put it back to the "V" formation.

Since Herr already covered the momentary invincibility, I'll stop there. Hope that helps, CMoon.
Aguraki

Post by Aguraki »

hi I've got 2 questions for musha please:
-how do you change speed?
I understand you have to pause the game but then I don't know exactly how to change it,results are random.
-how many stages in this game and does it loop?

ps:it's Musha aleste for megadrive I hope it's the same game.
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

Aguraki wrote:-how do you change speed?
Pause the game, press left or right, voila.
Aguraki wrote:-how many stages in this game and does it loop?
Don't expect anything special. This is NOT Cave, Psikyo, nor Konami. This is a Compile game! There are 7 stages in all. The final boss is Dia-51 itself, but the black robot you have fought from stage 6 (which is really, the last boss) does not put much of a fight except fire a line of lasers, but he'll launch some missiles up his sleeves if you take too long. You can also change difficulty from the Main Menu by selecting 'Options'.
Aguraki wrote:it's Musha aleste for megadrive I hope it's the same game.
Yup. It's also entitled 'MUSHA' if you're playing on the Sega Genesis, US or PAL. Same storyline, but different subtitles from both versions.
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
Mero

Post by Mero »

tinotormed wrote:
Yup. It's also entitled 'MUSHA' if you're playing on the Sega Genesis, US or PAL. Same storyline, but different subtitles from both versions.
Unfortunately this game never got a PAL release, I had a Japanese Musha Aleste cart back in the day (still got it, but haven't had a Megadrive to play it on since about 2002).

Back in the Megadrive era the US got way more shooters released the the UK/Europe