EDF 2 - BETA

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Shabadage

EDF 2 - BETA

Post by Shabadage »

Alright, I posted a topic about it earlier, so here's a chance to play the game. It's a BETA, there's no sound, and some effects really need to be cleaned up/added in. But the core gameplay is intact.

If you do download this demo, if you do not have a gamepad/jotstick hooked up to your system, then press control+Y on the level select screen to switch it to keyboard control.

There are two levels, a couple of cheat codes (you'll get them at the end of the demo) and two kinda bosses (not yet fully complete).

http://www.ectoprods.com/shab/edf2demo/edf2demo.zip 399KB

Explanation of powerups.
Yellow - Switch to/Power up Vulcan Cannon
Purple - Switch to/Power up Multi Slash
Green - Switch to/Power up Plasma Cannon
Red - Power up current weapon

Comments appreciated.
ForteMP3

Post by ForteMP3 »

404 Error on the link.
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!
mice

Post by mice »

I think he ment this:
http://www.ectoprods.com/Shab/edf2demo/edf2demo.zip

A capital S in Shab.

Cheers!
((mice
sniperwolf

Post by sniperwolf »

That is exceptionally cool. Great job so far, looks pretty neat! Can't wait to see the next release.
How do I wrote code?
Molloy

Post by Molloy »

That's pretty decent for a beta. The graphics won't set the world on fire but it feels find to play.
mrMagenta

Post by mrMagenta »

hey, fine start.

some criticism. you've probably thought amout theese thing allready, but anyway:

the tempo. more action needed. the pace is kind of slow and it doesn't give much resistance and one classic thing about bosses to keep in mind is that they do not necessarily get easier when they become weaker.

the green vegetation on the foreground mountains on the first level looks bit wonky.
sniperwolf

Post by sniperwolf »

I should add, too, in terms of advice - maybe consider multiple layered scrolling backgrounds? If you're not going full 3D, it adds a lot of depth to your world. For instance, you could have one layer of trees, then farther back on the Z axis a set of mountains, then farther back you could have another set, and farther back you could have some clouds or something... all of which scroll at progressively slower rates, giving the illusion of depth.

Aside from that, looks pretty nifty.
How do I wrote code?
landshark

Post by landshark »

The ship felt kind of "floaty".
Shabadage

Post by Shabadage »

Thank you for all the comments, and just to let you know, I will now be working with an artist. If you head over to www.ectoprods.com and look at the news item marked "Fresh Meat" in the comments is a link to the demo sprite that was done for me. This guy Hishnak will now be the artist, and I'm on the job of tightening the who EDF 2 package up with better graphics, more sensical weapons and a bunch more hidden codes. Let me know if you guys want any more codes to mess around with.

Here's one.
LRLRUUDD - then fire 2 (control for keyboard) - Gives you one bonus weapon or another.

Again, thanks for the support guys, and I'll post some more on this soon.
mice

Post by mice »

A really nice ship! Looks like a hi-end version of the original E.D.F ship.
I'll be looking forward to a demo with his gfx, make sure you recreate the backgrounds of the cloud-level of the original as well!

Good luck!
((mice
Shabadage

Post by Shabadage »

Did you play the first EDF or did you just stumble on the code to unlock the EDF 1 ship? Or was it at the end of the demo, shit I can't remember.