RQ: triggerheart exelica - xbla mechanics

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
ricklessabandon

RQ: triggerheart exelica - xbla mechanics

Post by ricklessabandon »

i was really wondering if anyone knew specifically which version the xbox live arcade version is based off of (i assume arcade mode) and if there's a way to display the multiplier. i've seen a high score run video in which the multiplier is displayed under the medal count and it's clearly not the xbla version. i'm just not sure if it's available to me on the 360...

also, does anyone know hard numbers behind the multiplier? does it really pay off to build it up during the entire stage getting less mature medals than if you were to anchor kill most things for almost fully mature medals? i'm still very new to the game and knowing what's going on under the hood would help out a ton!

thanks in advance!
<3,
rick
nZero

Post by nZero »

score system wise, it's based off of the the arrange mode. that is to say, only the medal count has any effect on the score multiplier. also, yeah, for the arcade/dc arcade/dc story versions, it really does pay off to maximize your multiplier through the stage to get the most points you can from killing the boss. however! there are times where tossing something to kill your multiplier will ultimately result in enough multiplier increasing medals to make it an overall gain.
ricklessabandon

is there anywhere i can find out the math behind it? like, how much multiplier i gain from medals, how much cashes in when you anchor swing an enemy, how much the cash in generates in terms of medals, etc...

at very least, i'd like to be able to just see the multiplier. is that possible in the 360 version?

thanks for the info. i should try adjusting my play and see what i can do. i know that i could be scoring a lot off of faintear in stage 1, but can seem to do it yet. i can't quite break 50 million on stage 1 yet and i've seen a video of someone breaking 120 million :P
<3,
rick
gennss

Post by gennss »

is this the only thing that makes xbla version feel different? Baddies seem to pop in the right areas in the right times but it just feels a little odd on xbla.
ricklessabandon

i'm not sure what's mechanically different from the xbla and previous versions since i haven't played anything else - hence my questions.

i know that graphically it looks a little different than what i've seen in replay vids and you can change the music between original and arrange, but i really wish i knew solidly how scoring worked, if i could toggle the multiplier display somehow, and what the medal requirements were for all the boss phases.

doesn't seem to be a lot of information out on triggerheart, which is unfortunate.
<3,
rick
nZero

Post by nZero »

Not sure the exact math behind it, but your multiplier in the XBLA version is derived in a linear fashion from your medal counter so no point in displaying it. You can see this by watching the score numbers that pop up when you destroy an enemy by toss.

Medal requirements for all of the boss phases are on the old information page on the official Exelica website.
ricklessabandon

awesome, thanks! i'll have to just keep playing and get a feel for when to anchor or not then. i'd be nice to see the multiplier though, if only to see how much cashes in when i anchor kill.

the V.B.A.S. chart for reference (pulled from that link - i added the Faintear reqs):

Stage 1 - 500, 1000, 2000, 2500, 3000**
Stage 2 - 1000, 1500, 2500
Stage 3 - 2000, 3000, 3500**
Stage 4 - 1000, 2000, 3500

**Faintear requirements
<3,
rick
DrTrouserPlank

Re: RQ: triggerheart exelica - xbla mechanics

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

OK nZero if you could just take a minute to explain the scoring on the 360 version. Am I looking to primarily add weight, or is the number of items more important than weight in the 360 version?

I've managed to finish stage 1 with about 30-38Mil now with minimal milking of the stage 1 boss and feintear. Still having trouble getting a no-miss on stage 3 and get enough medals to get the 2nd feintear fight. Managed it tonight in practice and struggled with the early portion of her 2nd-phase.

I should definitely be posting a scoring improvement soon, if only for the reason that my stage 1 has added a significant amount of score. I have finished stage 2 with about 48M (my 61M high score was at about that level when I started stage 4!)
To go "full-Plank" - colloquial - To experience disproportionate levels of frustration as a result of resistance to completing a task. Those who go "full-Plank" very rarely recover.
nZero

Post by nZero »

DrTrouserPlank wrote:OK nZero if you could just take a minute to explain the scoring on the 360 version. Am I looking to primarily add weight, or is the number of items more important than weight in the 360 version?
The 360 version scoring is much simpler than the DC/AC version, weight only applies at the stage clear tally, which is a negligible contributor to your total score. Focus on getting as many items as possible, both during the stages and during the boss fight. Not only does the item counter act as your item multiplier but it's tied to the destruction bonus for each boss form too. There's no more separate multiplier to decrease so there's much more freedom to toss enemies freely (yay!) and when milking boss attacks (nuts.)

Here's a stage 1 play that demonstrates good techniques: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn1Wd1lv8bI

(dumb fact: scores only stay on the leaderboard for 1 year, I don't know any other XBLA game that does this)
DrTrouserPlank wrote:Managed it tonight in practice and struggled with the early portion of her 2nd-phase.
Not even worth milking, just grab one of the small bits between her lasers while circling around her once and throw it into her to end the fight quickly.
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

Managing to get the final form of the 3rd stage boss more regularly, but haven't managed to get feintear once because I keep dying on the boss' final form. I think getting feintear on the third level is the key to a better score because her bonuses are so big.

Any tips to no-missing the final boss form before feintear's appearance? I've watched a superplay and the guy just sweeps left and right taking out the spawned ships each time. When I try (with crueltear mainly) a few ships slip by down the edge of the screen and fire of shots making the navigation across to the other side even harder.

I made a minor score increase, but it's not worth posting.
To go "full-Plank" - colloquial - To experience disproportionate levels of frustration as a result of resistance to completing a task. Those who go "full-Plank" very rarely recover.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

I don't remember how that went in my 1cc attempts. Do be aware that Stage 3 Faintear will be a potential runkiller for you since it was for me quite often.
nZero

Post by nZero »

DrTrouserPlank wrote:Any tips to no-missing the final boss form before feintear's appearance? I've watched a superplay and the guy just sweeps left and right taking out the spawned ships each time. When I try (with crueltear mainly) a few ships slip by down the edge of the screen and fire of shots making the navigation across to the other side even harder.
If you just want to get that form out of the way, it's not hard to kill quickly. Anchor the ship from the middle of the screen as soon as it's hittable and shoot it until the popcorn ships spawn, then move below them on the side they spawned on, grab one and toss it into the boss. Cut over to the other side (before the lasers fire, mind) and repeat, and the boss should be dead with very little danger to you.
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

What's the feeling on the 700M odd score on the Xbox leaderboards? Is that legit or some sort of hack? I only ask because I'm surprised at the amount of daylight between 1st and 2nd place, also the other top scorers are in the 400M range and having such a high out-lier looks a bit odd.
nZero

Post by nZero »

DrTrouserPlank wrote:What's the feeling on the 700M odd score on the Xbox leaderboards? Is that legit or some sort of hack? I only ask because I'm surprised at the amount of daylight between 1st and 2nd place, also the other top scorers are in the 400M range and having such a high out-lier looks a bit odd.
700M+ is quite possible (by someone with much more patience than I) so it's likely legit. There used to be a lot more high (350M+) scores on the leaderboards, but quoting myself from earlier in the thread:
nZero wrote:(dumb fact: scores only stay on the leaderboard for 1 year, I don't know any other XBLA game that does this)
Sik-07

Post by Sik-07 »

RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

WR is about 760m according to NTSC-J, so those 1b scores were either exploiting some extra potential in the 360 mode or just cheating by setting lives and bombs to max for extra bonuses.
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

I like the way he milks the final stage of the third boss, and how he deals with Faintear on level 3. I'll have to try some of that out.