Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ZOM

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by ZOM »

Question:
Are Mahou Daisakusen and Shippu Mahou Daisakusen's PCB the exact same, just with different roms & jumper settings? Is it technically possible to interchange eproms?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

emphatic wrote:I remember seeing a thread or site that lists Original XBox games' compatibility with the 360. Can someone please put me on my path? :lol:
I found this, might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xb ... h_Xbox_360
Microsoft's Xbox website had a list as well that was the main authority but the links I found for that seem to have been moved or something.
EDIT: Ah bugger, beat me to it. :lol:

My Question:
My uncle has a Sega Megadrive and it's lasted a while, but now when plugging the RF cable into it, it won't switch on. Red lights won't even turn on. It appears to turn on and run fine with the cable taken out.
I suspect it's because of the missing prongs within the cable itself, but I'm not sure I want to go through the hard effort (for me anyway) of getting a replacement cable (whether it be RF or normal red-white-yellow) from eBay. Help?
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

Does anyone know if a 360 stick will work when playing originaly Xbox games on a 360?
lol
angryswede

Post by angryswede »

Threads like this are great for the small nagging questions. So here's a half year bump.

1. Is €40-50 for a no-name brand 4 port DVI switch reasonable? (ebay)
2. Is there any way to get hold of a Xselect d-4 online?

edit: grammar
clean gloves, dirty hands.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Your best bet for getting an XSelect is Yahoo Japan Auctions. I doubt there're are many gamers outside of Japan willing to part with one -- I know I'd never sell :wink:. http://shoppingmalljapan.com/ is good. It can get a little pricey with fees and shipping, but that's normal with this sort of thing.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

angryswede wrote:1. Is €40-50 for a no-name brand 4 port DVI switch reasonable? (ebay)
Not sure how it would work out with shipping, but U$61.50 from Monoprice will get you a 4-port DVI switch.
angryswede

Post by angryswede »

shmuppyLove wrote:
Not sure how it would work out with shipping, but U$61.50 from Monoprice will get you a 4-port DVI switch.
That's an ok price point then?

Follow up question: How much is a component matrix? The ones I find seem to be aimed at professionals and priced for that segment. I would like four or five inputs, but don't need more than two out.
clean gloves, dirty hands.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Not sure if this is the place to ask this, since its in the Hardware section.

Is there a list anywhere of all the Cave TLBs and their reqs?
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

The strategy board is a fine place to check out.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Zeron wrote:The strategy board is a fine place to check out.
Yeah, I've been browsing through it. I suppose I could just visit each game's strategy section and compile a list for my own personal use.

I could read the strat board all day :lol:
Plasia

Post by Plasia »

I've been searching uselessly for hours on these things, I'd appreciate some help!

1) Where can I find some information on the SC-500N1 and XSYNC-1... in english?
2) Where can I buy Micomsoft products?... in English. Interested in a few things, I know of Solaris Japan but that only has XRGB3
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

1) Where can I find some information on the SC-500N1 and XSYNC-1... in english?
don't know any online resource. I guess the dedicated thread here on the board is your best choice.
2) Where can I buy Micomsoft products?... in English. Interested in a few things, I know of Solaris Japan but that only has XRGB3
he can get all the Micomsoft stuff for you...
Plasia

Post by Plasia »

Thanks Fudoh, here's another question!

In my videogame collection I have the following that I'd like to hook up via VGA:

N64 (NTSC-U)
N64 (PAL)
Gamecube (PAL)
Wii (NTSC-U)

Mega Drive II (PAL) [60hz/region switch mod]
Saturn (NTSC-J)
Dreamcast (NTSC)

PSone (PAL)
PS2 (PAL) [most games are NTSC]
PSP (PAL) [not sure if region even applies here?]

Xbox (PAL)

Neo Geo MVS
Atomiswave (bloody RGBS doesn't work on any of my monitors)
CPS3

I have a supergun for the arcade hardware, based on a neobitz component board.

Right so basically I have a variety of sources and I want them to all go into a scaler of some kind and pop out VGA. I already have a video switch in my chain so no need to worry about that, I can do all switching there. I require something that can accept RGBS (atomiswave), component, RGB scart and svideo and it needs to output in basic VGA (640x480) RGBHV. I also require it to be lagless or really close (less than 16ms/1frame).

So with all this in mind... what do I get? I've looked at the XRGB-3 but when reading the wiki 2 problems scared me:
- Extreme sensibility to noise: When using the Playstation 2 with component cables there is extreme sensibility to noise in the signal.
PS2 is my most used console!

- Too much noise in transcoding (B1) mode: When feeding 480p in B1 mode, the picture is easily affected by noise in the signal.
I will of course be using B1 mode and I want to use 480p whenever I can!

- Bad scaling in B1 mode: When using a 320x224 source like a Sega Saturn or MegaDrive in B1 mode the picture is squeezed to much and some vertical lines are much thinner that others.
I have both of those consoles...

- XRGB's loosing sync in B1 mode: XRGB's loosing sync on white screen flashes because the signal level is too high. example : PlayStation 2 + RGB cable + King of Fighters games
My favourite game on my PS2 is King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match Tougeki ver!

Am I just too worried about the XRGB-3 flaws? Are they really that bad?
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Can anyone point me in the direction of three things; a small/medium, say 23" to 32", 1080p 3D monitor or HDTV -- hold on, here's the kicker, WITH good 2D to 3D conversion for video game content? :) :twisted:

And quality PS2/Dualshock adapters for the Mega Drive and PC Engine? Tototek's sold out. :?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

@Plasia: for some reason I overlooked your posting from three weeks ago:
Am I just too worried about the XRGB-3 flaws? Are they really that bad?
yes, you're too worried and no, they are not bad at all.
Plasia

Post by Plasia »

Thanks, I'm waiting for your review of the new xrgb and may use that instead.
moh

Post by moh »

Can someone please tell me why everyone is crazy about using arcade sticks over gamepads? Does it have an advantage over just the "arcade feel"? I find it kinda laggy since most joysticks have a long throw on them..so it takes me a while to go from right to left quickly, which is really necessary in shmups like DOJ. Could it be that i just feel that way because im using a happ stick? =P because it seems everyone loves sanwa..
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
SunJammer

Post by SunJammer »

moh wrote:Can someone please tell me why everyone is crazy about using arcade sticks over gamepads? Does it have an advantage over just the "arcade feel"? I find it kinda laggy since most joysticks have a long throw on them..so it takes me a while to go from right to left quickly, which is really necessary in shmups like DOJ. Could it be that i just feel that way because im using a happ stick? =P because it seems everyone loves sanwa..
to me the whole arcade stick vs gamepad debate boils down to personal preference. that said, i do most of my shmupping on a 360 and I haven't been able to find a decent gamepad for it just yet so i went with a Hori EX-SE stick.
oh and yes your choice in stick might be part of the problem... i recently found myself in an arcade with nothing buy Happ controls in the cabs and i threw up in my mouth a little :wink:
(confidential to Ground Kontrol: what the hell, man?)
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 »

So I began writing http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?th ... ng.150057/ in hopes of finding out for myself/helping others who are struggling with this and I got a ton of help and some very patient people explained a lot to me and I ordered everything there, (I know one or two things are wrong right now, gonna do one big edit when I have it 100%)

So here's what I have now. I have a Sync Strike with a SCART cable from one system (can't find a switch yet) and my PS2 hooking into the scaler via component cables, so far here's what happens:

PS2: small dots in picture (see picture)
SNES: cuts in and out (the SS is properly powered as the N64 doesn't have this problem)
N64: DARKNESS!!! No amount of tweaking on the scaler setting changes this.
Genesis: video cuts in and out. Rarely makes it past the generic licensing screen oddly enough you still get the music.
Saturn: PERFECT

It also seems as if each console is going to need specific settings to fill the screen/look it's best which seems annoying.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 »

SGGG2 wrote:Hi!

Post your question here; http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... &start=210
Thanks, I will. SRK people unite!
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Besides the collectible value and package art, is there anything about the Saturn Collection releases of games to not recommend them over the originals?
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Which models of the Sony PVM have VGA inputs?

Thanks!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

None. Only the PGM models have VGA (31khz) inputs.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Fudoh wrote:None. Only the PGM models have VGA (31khz) inputs.
Great, thanks!

Trying to find the perfect 20 inch to tate, and I plan on hooking up a saturn, ps2, and 360 to it.

Which model would you recommend?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I have no experience with any of the 20" models. If you were looking for a 29" model, you could have a look at the NEC XM29 models instead, which accept both 15khz RGBs and 31khz RGBHV.
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

Super-duper dumb question: I own a phoenixed CPS2 board, will it's battery suicide like a normal CPS2?
lol
SunJammer

Post by SunJammer »

dunpeal2064 wrote: Trying to find the perfect 20 inch to tate, and I plan on hooking up a saturn, ps2, and 360 to it.

i had a similar search this summer which lead me to a sony PVM-20M4U, but really my only criteria were the size and the inputs. The 20M4U takes RGBS (as well as component) on BNC inputs, thus eliminating the need to buy or make an adapter to get pure RGB video. Also like pretty much all the other PVMs out there it has nice flat sides for tate-ing :mrgreen:
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

mesh control wrote:Super-duper dumb question: I own a phoenixed CPS2 board, will it's battery suicide like a normal CPS2?
No, that's the whole point of Phoenix roms. :lol:
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

SunJammer wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote: Trying to find the perfect 20 inch to tate, and I plan on hooking up a saturn, ps2, and 360 to it.

i had a similar search this summer which lead me to a sony PVM-20M4U, but really my only criteria were the size and the inputs. The 20M4U takes RGBS (as well as component) on BNC inputs, thus eliminating the need to buy or make an adapter to get pure RGB video. Also like pretty much all the other PVMs out there it has nice flat sides for tate-ing :mrgreen:
This is the model I had my eye on. Thank you!