Gradius Gaiden

Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Finally broke a million:

Zach Keene - 1,086,600 - 2R-5ST - Falchion Beta - OSM?DL - Force Field

"Highlights" of this run include:
  • Pulling a Kiken on the first loop. :oops:
  • Double KO vs. MadSkin on the second loop (never managed to beat it again :mad:).
gs68

Post by gs68 »

I'm falling behind new...dammit, you people and your Force Fields :P
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Zach Keene wrote:Finally broke a million:

Zach Keene - 1,086,600 - 2R-5ST - Falchion Beta - OSM?DL - Force Field

"Highlights" of this run include:
  • Pulling a Kiken on the first loop. :oops:
  • Double KO vs. MadSkin on the second loop (never managed to beat it again :mad:).
Yeah, MadSkin can be quite a pain on the second loop. That third purple sphere is just enough to wreak total havoc in that enclosed space.

And congrats on the SLC of the first loop with the Falchion Beta. :)
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Congratulations are a bit premature, since I was actually referring to the incident where you one-lifed your way into a drone at the beginning of Fate. I somehow managed the exact same thing. :)
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Zach Keene wrote:Congratulations are a bit premature, since I was actually referring to the incident where you one-lifed your way into a drone at the beginning of Fate. I somehow managed the exact same thing. :)
D'OH! I misinterpretted.
punkfox

Post by punkfox »

Rrf. I don't have too many problems with the last stage, but the damn Walker Boss is a pain in the ass. It screwed me over when I was close to the SLC on a previous run. Much anger ensued afterward.

And yes, that third ball from MadSkin is the bane of my existence in the second loop. :-p
samu

Post by samu »

I finally got a pretty good play in. I know I could have done much better though. I'll get back with a better score later.

Sam - 2-5 - 1,030,270

Vic Viper - SODM?L

I fucked up about three lives on that annoying triplet boss of 1-8. Then I carried on nicely until the second loop's Moai boss which took all except my last life. Then I hesitated a bit too long and got squashed in 2-5 in the slime tunnel.
samu

Post by samu »

Improvement on yesterday's score.

Sam - 2-7 - 1,217,470 - SODM?L - Force Field

I just made too many little mistakes here and there. Made it to the boss of 2-7 but I screwed up. Died right before, so I had to fight it with just a few options and no laser. I should have been close to an extra life there too, right?

Third loop, here I come!
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Was that with Vic Viper?
samu

Post by samu »

:(

So close. I beat the first loop with only one miss. I really hate that rolling thing with the lasers. First boss of stage 8.

Entered second loop with high hopes. Only one miss up til the jungle planet. Then I think I wasted 3 or 4 lives in a row. And then it was quite uneven playing until the end. Did some really nice dodges mixed with some pathetic misses. I was so disappointed when a wall crashed into me on my second last life where I had almost made a successful recovery on the annoying moving walls labyrinth. My final life was a total failure. The gradius ships have so crappy firing rate that sometimes the enemies just fly right through your line of sight. And I thought today was gonna be the day I reached loop 3. I won't stop playing it until I've at least accomplished that.

I'll try writing all the details of my game this time :)

SAM - 2-9 - 1,381,320 - Vic Viper - Force Field - SODM?L
tviks

Post by tviks »

Hi. Samu suggested that i should try making a highscore in Gradius Gaiden and here it is:

tviks - 3,015,290 - 4-9 - Vic Viper - SO?MDL - Force Field

This was my first attempt at a high score in a very long time, and I lost at least 10 lives just trying to rememorize the rotating sun's pattern in loop 2 and 3.

I also installed my psone for this, since I didn't want the unfair slowdown in Event Horizon -stage.
samu

Post by samu »

Well, here's one more improvement. I beat the second loop on my last life. I think I was really about 20k away from an extend here. I did some quite nice comebacks in the second loop, as well as some annoying deaths, as usual. I thought I was gonna be able to do better in the beginning of the third loop. But I got cornered by suicide bullets. It was embarrassing.

Sam - 3-1 - 1,501,230 - Vic Viper - Force Field

Not sure if I want to try to beat MSZ or start playing something else now. Two loops is already taking quite a lot of time.
MSZ

Post by MSZ »

Go ahead and beat it samu, this is not my best score I had anyway. (But this is the only hi-score I have right now on my memory card.)
samu

Post by samu »

I'm sorry I just couldn't beat 3-5. Got cornered and killed before the boss and couldn't make a comeback with my few remaining lives.

I entered loop 3 with 5 lives this time. One game is starting to take as long as 2 hours now so I think I'll have to stop playing this game now and move to something that you can beat a bit quicker. Maybe I'll play it once a week or something. Well it was fun, the game is great.

Sam - 3-5 - 1,830,080 - Vic Viper - Force Field - SODM?L
gs68

Post by gs68 »

gs68 - 2R_6ST - 1,099,740 - Vic Viper - Force Field - S?OLDM

screenshot here.

I had a no-death game going up until MadSkin on 2R_5ST. Stupid balls. Eventually made it to 2R_6ST, then got to the open space around halfway through the level where it was all downhill from there.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Here comes a new challenger!

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Sly Cherry Chunks
2R_4ST
Vic Viper
OSMDL?
Force Field
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
gs68

Post by gs68 »

I've been playing Gaiden on the PSP and lately my skills have gone down the toilet.

Even after adapting to the analog nub and the shitty D-pad, Shining Core's bullets, along with Moai Dimension and stage 5, have gotten a lot harder and I find myself making more stupid mistakes. I got to stage 6 once and that's it.

I feel hopeless and I don't think I'll ever see anything past stage 5 again.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

I'm glad I took a look through here....

DJ Incompetent - 1,326,080 2R-8ST, Jade Knight, SOM?DL, Force

Here's the bunches of proof

(Insert upcoming shit-talking toward tviks)

If you feel like using the
DJ Incompetent - 2,095,940 3R-9ST, Vic Viper, SOM?DL, Force, I'm all about it. But that was too many years ago to remember the settings. Didn't know this place existed.
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

PlasmaBlooD - 534,670 - 1R-8ST - Vic Viper - SMDLO? - Force Field
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

PlasmaBlooD 599,040 1R-9ST Vic Viper OD?MSL Force Field

End of the Speedstage i fly into the Wall
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

PlasmaBlooD 670,040 1R-9ST Vic Viper OD?MSL Force Field
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

PlasmaBlooD 713'460 2R-1ST Vic Viper OD?MSL Force Field

After the 1 Loop i had a timeout (1 Hour).In the middle of Stage 2-1 i died stupid and i lose all Lifes.But my Goal was the first Loop.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Plasmablood now try the second loop(Two things will annoy you:Heaven's gate and Harder Sol)
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

PlasmaBlooD 785,090 2R-2ST Vic Viper OD?MSL Force Field

Stupid Death at second Boss.
tviks

Post by tviks »

I think I've waited long enough for someone to beat my ancient highscore of this game. So in any case, here's my newest highscore, so no one needs to bother anymore :)

tviks - 10,543,830 - 14-9 - Falchion Beta - SOL?MD - Force Field
landshark

Post by landshark »

tviks wrote:I think I've waited long enough for someone to beat my ancient highscore of this game. So in any case, here's my newest highscore, so no one needs to bother anymore :)

tviks - 10,543,830 - 14-9 - Falchion Beta - SOL?MD - Force Field
How long of a game was that?
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
tviks

Post by tviks »

Don't know exactly but I made it within 3 days. Definitely not as exhausting as my 16-1 Gradius V run. I also thought the counter would reset, but it kept going over 10M.
MSZ

Post by MSZ »

Hey tviks, this is just not fair at all. :cry:

I would like to try the same setup someday. Since I rarely use the edit to change the powerup order.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

that...didn't fit into my holiday plans.......that didn't fit at all...

(I'm going to go huddle in a corner now)

good work by the way
Edge

Post by Edge »

Edge - 589'800 - 1-9 - Vic Viper - SOMDL? - Force Field

2 months ago I was introduced to Gradius Gaiden for the first time. I have been playing it a few times but didn't get around to play it more. Maybe I am going to return to it one day, as it seemed pretty nice. Probably one of the easier Gradius games... :?: Esspecially with the Power Up formation, which makes recovering after a death easier.