GD: Castle of Shikigani 2 Scoring System

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
FatCobra

GD: Castle of Shikigani 2 Scoring System

Post by FatCobra »

I kinda understand the bullet scratching for 8x score, and using the Shiki attack auto-collects the coins, but what is the best way to play this shmup as far as score is concerned? Who is the most effective for score? I can usally do well score-wise until stage 2-2 then I screw the scoring system because it is interfering with my survival tactics.

Also, it's pretty hard to get to good score with the witch, since her Shiki attack freezes her in place while you target the laser. And is there any difference between her and the chibi verison?
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!
Rob

Post by Rob »

All characters can get high scores if you know how to use them, but Kuga and Kim are preferred by most. Make sure your tension meter is high when you collect the coins too.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Rob wrote:All characters can get high scores if you know how to use them, but Kuga and Kim are preferred by most. Make sure your tension meter is high when you collect the coins too.
Who is Kuga and Kim? I've haven't gotten the names of all the characters down yet. Right now I refer to him based on their appearance or attacks. (i.e. Guitar case guy, Werewolf Detective, Ghost Dude)

I know Roger is the American ninja guy who is the fastest and has the landmine attack...
Rob

Post by Rob »

Kuga is the first character on the list, with the spirit that automatically bounces to the nearest enemies. Kim is the guy with the swords (spinning or the preferred scissor like alternative). I think Kim 2's has by far the best, most fun, precise and easy to learn attack. More powerful and more control than Kuga, but takes a little more strategy (planning ahead).
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Kuga's attack is kinda boring for me anyway, you just sit there dodging bullets while the ghost does all the dirty work. I like interaction with my attacks.
BulletMagnet

Re: GD: Castle of Shikigani 2 Scoring System

Post by BulletMagnet »

FatCobra wrote:Also, it's pretty hard to get to good score with the witch, since her Shiki attack freezes her in place while you target the laser. And is there any difference between her and the chibi verison?
Some characters are obviously much easier to score with than others, which is why the game (the JP version at least, not sure about the localization) includes separate high score tables for each character as well as an "overall" one. It gives at least a bit more incentive to play with characters other than Kim and Kuga.

As for Fumiko, IIRC her "chibi" version has a stronger shiki attack than her "normal" version but a weaker regular shot...or is it the other way around? I think it's the way I said it.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

BulletMagnet wrote:Some characters are obviously much easier to score with than others, which is why the game (the JP version at least, not sure about the localization) includes separate high score tables for each character as well as an "overall" one. It gives at least a bit more incentive to play with characters other than Kim and Kuga.
I do best with Hyuga (the werewolf. See, I almost got all the names down!). I think XS Games pretty much left all the game features intact. They left in the TATE mode, and there is separate score tables for each character.

I do think XS Games have redeemed themselves for the sins (that we know as Moblie Light Force 1&2) that they committed with this port. Hell, even the badly dubbed cutscenes don't seem to bother me anymore. They're kinda funny and it is a throwback to the old days of Engrish.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Does anyone know how badly you are penalised for using smart bombs in this game? Is your score crippled DoDonPachi style, or can I actually use them without throwing away a decent chunk of points?
Rob

Post by Rob »

You only lose points if you destroy common enemies (scoring opportunities). You can speed up the death of bosses with bombs, which will give you a higher time bonus (good for some human bosses - no multiple parts). But of course you'll not want to kill them with a bomb.
Marc

Post by Marc »

You only lose points if you destroy common enemies (scoring opportunities). You can speed up the death of bosses with bombs, which will give you a higher time bonus (good for some human bosses - no multiple parts). But of course you'll not want to kill them with a bomb.
:lol: Not normally, but the asshole at the end of 2-2 has been impeeding my progress for too long now, so he's getting some later tonight.

Thanks Rob.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

FatCobra wrote:I kinda understand the bullet scratching for 8x score, and using the Shiki attack auto-collects the coins, but what is the best way to play this shmup as far as score is concerned?
*cough* My Shikigami no Shiro ST *cough*
Marc

Post by Marc »

Quote:

Not normally, but the asshole at the end of 2-2 has been impeeding my progress for too long now, so he's getting some later tonight.
And wouldn't you believe it? I sucked so utterly hard last night, I didn't even reach the git.