An original shmup (Kinda) idea:Reflexion.

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
ForteMP3

An original shmup (Kinda) idea:Reflexion.

Post by ForteMP3 »

When I first came up with the idea of this game, I called it Reflex. I then learned a shmup with this name already existed, so I decided to rename it to Reflexion.

The name is basically a play on the words Reflex and Reflection.

The idea of Reflexion is similar to Giga Wing:Turning enemy firepower back on itself. Although the ideas behind just how this works aren't exactly the same as Giga Wing. While it's only in a concept phase right now, I think this could go somewhere. Here's an excerpt from my plan file.

-OVERVIEW-
A vertical shooter where your survival depends on being able to manipulate enemy attacks to your advantage.

-STORY-
Earth Year 2401, dawn of the 25th century, and mankind’s darkest hour. In 2399, the Earth was invaded by a hostile alien race that has identified themeselves as the Vergon. A technologically superior race, the Vergon believe that all life weaker than them lives to serve or be destroyed. Earth has refused to become a slave to the Vergon, and thus war ensued. For two long years, the Earth Fleet’s strength steadily declined, as they could simply not match the power of Vergon technology.

…Until one fateful day in 2400. The Vergon had taken control of Earth’s Luna colony, and were using it as a new frontline base. This was Earth’s chance to do the impossible:Seize Vergon resources. A strike force consisting of several pilots and a ground assault team were able to seize a Vergon cargo ship, and were able to take it to earth. What the Earth Fleet took ahold of would give them a chance to turn the tide of the war:A crystal known as Reflexium. It was soon discovered that Reflexium was a material that would give Earth more of a fighting chance than they initially expected. Reflexium is a powerful convertor that can turn mental energy into other forms of energy. It was soon realized that Reflexium was the power source of the energy cannons used by the Vergon. Earth had a similar Mental Energy program in place, but the output of such programs was too low to be put to practical use:But Reflexite would change all that. Thus, work began on the REFLEX System, a Reflexite powered unit that could make use of Reflexite’s mental energy conversion. Within a few months, a successful prototype fighter, REFLEX Alpha, was born. This would be the first fighter to use the REFLEX System, a system dependant upon the pilot’s mental abilities. Other models soon followed, each making use of the REFLEX System’s capabilities. Soon, weapon systems and other technologies originally unusable by Earth due to their lack of resources or a means to provide enough power were usuable, giving the Earth Fleet what it needed to fight back.

Now it is 2401, and a final battle has begun. A squadron of REFLEX Fighters has been launched from Earth to try and take back Luna from the invading Vergon forces, and then take the fight to them. Now the fate of the Earth lies in the hands of…

1st Generation Prototype Fighter:REFLEX Alpha

High Speed Temporal Fighter:REFLEX Beta

Heavy Gravity Bomber:REFLEX Gamma

Precision Support Fighter:REFLEX Theta

-GAME SYSTEM-
Normal/Side Guns-Fired with Z Key. Powered up separately.

REFLEX Unit-Every ship is equipped with a special REFLEX Unit that can manipulate enemy bullets, turning them against the enemy and to your advantage. REFLEX Units use an energy meter that has a percent based value. A set amount is used for every normal use, while 100% is required for a REFLEX Charge, which is an enhanced version of the REFLEX Unit’s normal function. The energy meter increases slowly over time, and also increases every time an enemy is hit or destroyed (Destruction yields more energy, of course). This is used with the X Key.

HYPER Unit-Special REFLEX system that requires a Hyper Crystal to fire. These have a wide range of effects, and their duration is dependant on the current energy stored in the REFLEX Unit (Though it will go up to 25% if you have less than it when using a Hyper Crystal. Essentially, these are Bombs that are also reliant on your energy meter). Used with the C Key.

-SHIP TYPES-

-REFLEX Alpha-
The first fighter to use the prototype REFLEX system. It is a well balanced fighter and quite simple in design and purpose, but still one of the most valuble in the war. Its cannons are capable of not only destroying enemy ships, but turning enemy weaponry against itself.

Normal Shot-Forward Vulcan. A balanced forward rapid fire weapon. More shots are fired with each upgrade.

Side Shot-Side Vulcan. A support unit that fires at forward angles, power is identical to Forward Vulcan. It gains a sweeping shot ability and fires more rounds per use with each upgrade.

REFLEX Unit-REFLEX Gun. Normal shot turns one enemy bullet into a special attack. A REFLEX Charge will cause the REFLEX Gun to gain a piercing attribute, allowing it to convert several bullets.

HYPER Unit-REFLEX Vulcan. While active, the Vulcan Cannons will gain REFLEX Gun attribiutes.

-REFLEX Beta-
Prototype fighter that was created through Theoretical Temporal Physics. Its REFLEX Unit is capable of distorting the flow of time and generating barriers that can bend space and time. This ability gives the fighter excellent defensive capabilities, making it an ideal wingman.

Normal Shot-Charge Ray. A beam weapon that can fire pulses, or charge up to release a beam attack. Increasing its level improves the uncharged shot and increases maximum charge.

Side Shot-Sweep Laser. A low power piercing laser that sweeps to the sides of the ship. Increasing its level also increases the sweep range.

REFLEX Unit-Temporal Distortion System (TDS). This unit is a dual function REFLEX unit, its function is dependant on if the REFLEX Charge is used or not. Without a REFLEX charge, a Time-Lag Beam is fired that distorts time ahead of it, reducing the speed of all bullets by half. When a REFLEX charge is used, the Temporal Flash Barrier is activated. This creates a ‘shell’ of distorted space-time around the ship which reverses the direction of any bullet that comes into contact with it, but the barrier’s duration is extremely brief, hence the name Flash Barrier.

HYPER Unit-Temporal Shield. A longer lasting version of the Temporal Flash Barrier that allows for extended use, essentially making the ship immune to enemy attack and deflecting attacks back at the enemy.

-REFLEX Gamma-
Designed to essentially be the space equivalent of a tank, Reflex Gamma is perhaps one of the most powerful fighters in the Earth Fleet. Its bulky size is offset by its devastating firepower. Its REFLEX unit works a bit differently from most, as its normal function does not use up the Energy Gauge. Instead, it fuels it, and in order to unleash the true power of this ship’s REFLEX Unit, a REFLEX Charge must be used. It also makes use of Temporal Distortion techonology, but relies more on using it to manipulate space and gravity than the REFLEX Beta.

Normal Shot-Flak Cannon. This weapon has a low rate of fire, but it is offset by amazing spread capabilities. At point blank range, this weapon can be devastating, and at long range, its spread can be used to hit multiple targets. However, pilots often complain about the low rate of fire, and thus this weapon has not been as popular as engineers hoped. Upgrades increase the amount of flak fired.

Side Shot-Crush Missile. A byproduct of Theoretical Temporal Physics that was deemed too heavy and cumbersome for the REFLEX Beta, and thus it found itself utilized by the heavier Gamma model. These missiles essentially bend and distort space time in such a way that is compressed, similar to the gravitational effects of a black hole. The result is a crushing force that causes continuous damage. Upgrading these missiles improves the size of the distortion, as well as power.

REFLEX Unit-Kinetic Convertor. A unique REFLEX Unit that absorbs the kinetic energy of nearby bullets to fuel the Energy Gauge. Its function is passive, meaning that it is always active and does not need to be used manually. However, when the Energy Meter is full, the REFLEX Ray can be fired by using a REFLEX Charge. The REFLEX Ray creates a beam similar to the Crush Missile’s explosion, creating raw gravitational force that crushes enemies. The unique feature of this beam is that it can actually absorb bullets to increase its power, but as it widens, the drain on the Energy Meter will also increase.

HYPER Unit-Crush Field. Creates a powerful gravitational rift that absorbs all enemy fire, until it explodes in a violent collapse. A special shielding system protects REFLEX class fighters from the effect, but all enemies caught in the blast will suffer greatly. The field will absorb bullets until the Energy Meter is completely drained, then it will undergo its destructive collapse. Obviously, this weapon functions best when used with a 100% Energy Meter and a large number of enemy bullets.

-REFLEX Theta-
A support fighter designed to assist the others with a powerful multi-target attack system and wide range of sensors. Its methods of attacking are somewhat indirect, so not all pilots find it to be a useful ship. However, on the battlefield, this ship’s support capabilities have saved many a fighter.

Normal Shot-Seeker Ray. Uses two different laser systems to attack enemies. First, a targetting laser is used to mark an enemy with its unique energy signature. When a lock is achieved, additional rays are fired that converge on the target.

Side Shot-Fencer Ray. Similar to the Sweep Laser, but more powerful, and it fires in the direction the ship is currently moving. The Fencer Ray generates a short, but powerful laser blade that swipes at targets, causing heavy damage. Obviously, the weakness of this weapon is that you must be in close range to use it effectively.

REFLEX Unit-Mirror Wave. This REFLEX System is similar to the Temporal Flash Barrier in terms of effect, though its functions are not identical. The Mirror Wave creates a small wave like barrier that flies forward a short distance. This wave, because it doesn’t have as large a coverage area, can last longer and therefore has more deflection capabilities. By using a REFLEX Charge, a much larger defensive wave can be created.

HYPER Unit-REFLEX Beacon. Possibly the deadliest of all HYPER Units, the REFLEX Beacon enhances the Seeker Ray and also emits a powerful series of deflection waves. The waves, when combined with the Seeker Ray, redirects all bullets towards the target struck by the Seeker Ray’s targetting system.
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!
ForteMP3

Post by ForteMP3 »

I've noticed this topic has no replies, but a lot of views.

Just a small request from for you guys:Could I get some opinions on the gameplay ideas I've got so far? I just want to know if this sounds like it has potential.
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!
Zweihander

Post by Zweihander »

sounds good, looks like you've put quite a bit of thought into this. contact me if you make a beta version. :wink:
Schrodinger's cat wrote:Yeah, "shmup" really sounds like a term a Jewish grandmother would insult you with.
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

Well, it doesn't sound like anything that can't work. It took me a little time to separate the story/windowdressing details from the mechanics. I have a feeling that whether or not this succeeds would depend on the bullet patterns even more than most games do. I bet that balancing this would be really hard.

A couple of doujin games that do interesting things with bullets are Hellsinker and nomltest.
"Can they really get inside my head?"
"As long as you keep an open mind."
Darkcomet72

Post by Darkcomet72 »

Uhh... Reflex was Reflexion before Siterskain took over. :P
Ed: He asked for mustard Eddy! Do you have corn in your ears mister?
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

Darkcomet72 wrote:Uhh... Reflex was Reflexion before Siterskain took over. :P
thats right...
now, about your ideas, even thou, they are good ideas, im sorry to tell you, that that system mechanics are implemented already in a game named Samidare ... where u use a deflective shield, that returs the bullets to the enemies, while givin you more points for killin them that way ... and yes, that shield has a gauge bar, so when the bar its depleted, your shield's gone, and if your not carefull, your dead.

that game has only 3 levels plus an extra level ... and its FREAKIN insane (at least the xtra level, i've 1CC-ed the normal game already... tryin on xtra).

anyways... keep up with your idea, they're not bad at all, and i've seen just a couple games with that already, but it doesnt matter anyways.

PS: im sorry if im revivin this thread.
D

Post by D »

OK

I think that building a shmup without gimmicks is hard enough.

Cool sprites/backgrounds/explosions for instance.

Reflection stuff are just gimmicks that play a too great role in Gigawings and Mars Matrix. Katsumi: "Oh we created a gimmick lets base the entire game around that little gimmick" The relection stuff should've been a type of weapon you could pick up or a type of smart bomb or perhaps even just one character that would have it.

People allways want to revolutionize shmups with......gimmicks.
They don't work for me. Why?
Because all those titles have so many flaws in them it's not funny and it's like you are NOT playing a shmup, now that's not a bad thing, but are you or are you not a shmup.

I've got real cool original ideas for shmups but they are gimmicks that stay on the sidelines and they do not overtake the entire shmup concept like GW's and MM.

I will probably take them to my grave.

I'm not criticizing, oh well I guess I am, but I'm trying to constructively criticize. All IMHO