Jamestown Lives!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Observer

Re: Jamestown Lives!

Post by Observer »

The Start Over does what it promises. It's mainly done to prevent horrid screw ups on stages 1-2 more than anything else, which tend to happen a lot if you approach the game after not playing it for a while. The option is present in most shooters (Retry) and it works like this, I see no bugs.

I'm more concerned about the mess that Judgement Mode is. With a nearly-pointless shield (again, I wouldn't mind some shit that you can't cancel but at times, there are more green bullets than normal ones, it's more like a poor's man Ikaruga than the enjoyable Mars Matrix/Gigawing clone I prefer), unavoidable, ridiculous suicide bullets not even neutered by distance and flak crafted for 4 players rather than one, on a vertizontal approach... Now that's something serious.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
MathU

Post by MathU »

You guys ever plan on removing the Steam DRM from this so I can support it?
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Observer wrote:The option is present in most shooters (Retry) and it works like this, I see no bugs.
There are no bugs... if you're playing on Gauntlet mode. But if you just want to retry a single particular Stage... voilá! The stage you were trying is now gone and you've just been awarded a Gauntlet run for free. :shock:

Maybe it's not exactly a bug, but I'm not sure it's intended to work this way without Gauntlet.
Observer

Post by Observer »

So the start over works in Gauntlet but it broke the "start over" from the regular, separate stages, right? hahahaha, now that's a bug indeed!

Just throw us an Extra stage unlockable by 1ccing Gauntlet in Legendary Mode (so nobody complains about Divine or Judgement) and everyone will be happy. Well, at least I'll be, the game is asking for an Extra Stage and a couple moar awesome tunes.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Kewne

Post by Kewne »

Observer wrote:Just throw us an Extra stage unlockable by 1ccing Gauntlet in Legendary Mode (so nobody complains about Divine or Judgement) and everyone will be happy. Well, at least I'll be, the game is asking for an Extra Stage and a couple moar awesome tunes.
22.6% has even managed to clear the game, let alone 1cc Croatoa or the entire gauntlet... there'd be a shitstorm over something like that, and I think it'd be a quite reasonable one. Maybe reaching a certain playtime or 1CC, that's how most other games seem to do it.
Observer

Post by Observer »

Kewne wrote:
Observer wrote:Just throw us an Extra stage unlockable by 1ccing Gauntlet in Legendary Mode (so nobody complains about Divine or Judgement) and everyone will be happy. Well, at least I'll be, the game is asking for an Extra Stage and a couple moar awesome tunes.
22.6% has even managed to clear the game, let alone 1cc Croatoa or the entire gauntlet... there'd be a shitstorm over something like that, and I think it'd be a quite reasonable one. Maybe reaching a certain playtime or 1CC, that's how most other games seem to do it.
Bloody hell, didn't know things were like that. I agree with that 0% people clearing Judgement without being hit or continuing, it's way too brutal.

I guess play time would be the wisest then. People playing the challenge levels and all will surely add time.

But I have been thinking about this and I like the idea of just ships as DLC. It could be like Killing Floor, where you just have cosmetics (the DLC skin packs) and the news maps and stuff goes for everyone. That's how I would like to see an Extra. Just like any Toehoe game and such, if people want it unlocked, some requirements would be needed but, as mentioned previously, maybe not too strict requirements.

Does any of the new ships make things slightly easier on Judgement? Tempted to get them...
Kewne

Post by Kewne »

Does any of the new ships make things slightly easier on Judgement? Tempted to get them...
As far as I can tell, not really. They're fun to play with and would be amazing ships in co-op, but they can't really replace the Gunner's ability to fire in any direction. Treason's homing missiles and fast speed might work with some effort. The Plot ship just doesn't seem to have enough damage on bosses unless you abuse vaunt and get the ghost inside the boss followed by staying close to it which is just too risky on Judgement.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Can't say for sure as I can't even beat Legendary at this point, but Treason seems to make a number of the challenges a fair bit easier than they would be otherwise.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Observer wrote:Does any of the new ships make things slightly easier on Judgement? Tempted to get them...
Nope, you're gonna need the bloody Crimzon F/&$@|{ Clover's Type-Z to repel... a firepower of THAT magnitude! (Admiral Ackbar dixit) :P But hey!! Those gunpowder barrels are fun to toss around as if there's no tomorrow and I definitely *LOVE* Treason ship; little I knew I'd be able to see such an impressive "V for Vendetta" shmup adaptation! 8)
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Ah, new update! They indeed fixed the "Start Over" bad behaviour and even removed intro text for single stages so you can go directly into the mayhem. They also added a proper window icon and other stuff...

But! DLC is still gone from offline mode and that's the biggest problem right now IMHO, at least for those of us who bought it. And there's also that other issue with your ship being stuck on respawn until you release-press again a direction key, though it seems they fixed a similar problem for the fire button after returning from "continue?" screen or so they say.
Observer

Post by Observer »

Well, hope they sort out the DLC situation, I'm very happy all the other stuff has been fixed. My game now runs in sync with the events (I like how the music gets more punchi punchi on stage 1 right when one those blasted ships with the criss-cross pattern comes, the one you need to take out three glasses to get the special bonus) or how the music gets heavy metal on Stage 4 right when the gigantic fortresses come trumping it all, so freaking glorious. Stage 5 takes the cake in musical terms although I wish it could've had more bosses, a sky setting and such. The walls and stuff would've worked better on a non-final but that's fine.

Back to the DLC, I still sustain they should go for a Killing Floor approach. You want more characters and such? Fine, paid DLC. You want that shiny and obnoxiously balls-to-the-wall hard Extra Stage with tributes and more? Fine, at least score well!

By the way, the game is currently $5 at Gamersgate, which I think was mentioned already.

edit: I still want that OST disc :P I mean, I really can't be the only one who wants to permanently leave the disc inside the player.
Foco

Jamestown Soundtrack

Post by Foco »

Hi there!

We have uploaded the full Jamestown Sountrack to Bandcamp, you can purchase it here: http://finalformgames.bandcamp.com/albu ... soundtrack

Also, there's a cool interview about the composition process posted on Final Form Games's website, check it out here: http://www.finalformgames.com/uncategor ... -doo-ooor/

I hope you enjoy it :D

Francisco Cerda (the composer)
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Outstanding, Sir! Hell, I'd play even SNES D-Force if your soundtrack happens to be there! :D

Observer

Re: Jamestown Soundtrack

Post by Observer »

Foco wrote:Hi there!

We have uploaded the full Jamestown Sountrack to Bandcamp, you can purchase it here: http://finalformgames.bandcamp.com/albu ... soundtrack

Also, there's a cool interview about the composition process posted on Final Form Games's website, check it out here: http://www.finalformgames.com/uncategor ... -doo-ooor/

I hope you enjoy it :D

Francisco Cerda (the composer)
Spanish warning:

¡BUENÍSIMOOOOOO! ¡¡¡Salimos de la B, salimos de la B!!! Un aplauso enorme. ¡¡¡¡Qué buena que está la banda de sonidooooo!!!!

La única que faltaría para que sea la cereza del postre es la versión en CD. Porfa, porfa, porfa. ¿Hay posibilidades? Qué bueno estaría verla en las disquerías... Ya me veo pidiéndole al tipo "¿Está la banda de sonido de Jamestown?" "¿Jamestoqué?" Jajajaja. Sino, bueno, tendré que armar un disco con los FLAC pero no vendría mal una versión firmada con todo el poder y demás, ¿no? :P

/Spanish conquistador warning end.

In short, freaking awesome.
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

¡Dios Santo! Tan sólo un traductor online automático sería capaz de producir semejante despropósito idiomático. Hehehe... En fin, que yo también apoyo la idea de una versión física en CD, por improbable que parezca. :wink:

¡Oh my God! Only an online automatic translator could be responsible for such a language mesh. Hehehe... Anyways, I also second the idea of a retail CD based version, as improbable as it may seem. :wink:
MadScientist

Post by MadScientist »

The DLC is now on sale for $1.49.
You cannot stop me with Paramecium alone!
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

While I love the CAVE's and Rebrank's electronic soundtrack, Jamestown's was still enjoyable and was very fitting to the game as a whole.
Observer

Post by Observer »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:While I love the CAVE's and Rebrank's electronic soundtrack, Jamestown's was still enjoyable and was very fitting to the game as a whole.
And it's for $2.49...

JAmestown OST still has some electronic touches but, yeah, one can't live of punchi punchi alone. We need some epic orchestral sounds and such now and then.
alastair jack

Post by alastair jack »

Not sure if I should get this game or not, I can't imagine it'll be as good as the other great games in the genre.
Kewne

Post by Kewne »

alastair jack wrote:Not sure if I should get this game or not, I can't imagine it'll be as good as the other great games in the genre.
It is in some ways and isn't in some others. The gameplay is pretty good overall, really the only issue that it has is a bit too much dead air between bosses & level swaps. The music is utterly fantastic albeit unusual for a shmup. And there's an overly difficult & monotonous stage 2 boss that I'll never shut up about.

The game has a decent chance to be one of the daily deals during the sale, it's already been more than 50% off during an earlier sale IIRC. Consider waiting for that if you're still on the fence. But really, it's worth the $7 for the game+soundtrack+DLC pack.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

If you can overlook all of the issues I pointed out here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 75#p698675 (or think they aren't really issues at all), you could get some enjoyment out of it.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

It depends what you want out of it. If you only play CAVE shmups with high level play and complex scoring you wont find the same experience with Jamestown.

Imo Jamestown is an old school shmup with simple scoring, (perfect play,vaunt, milking) with bullet hell game mechanics. If you are the kind of player who likes to try out non CAVE A grade stuff like 16 bit / doujin STGs just for a change of pace and for lols you might like it.

Theres fun to be had trying out the different ships and difficulty levels although im not a lover of hardest difficulty with its spammy suicide bullets. For the price (which will probably on sale atm) its a bargin imo. A must buy if you play games with family and friends at home.

I think the problems I had with it was that I was playing for score and practicing stages, where the games niggling faults really got to me. (because when I play the odd game or 2 nowadays I have fun)
cskcsk

Post by cskcsk »

I was gifted jamestown during the steam sale. I really like the sprite artwork,very 16 bit.But it does look smudged and ugly when viewed upclose,would be good to have the option to add in scanlines.
The pacing of the game seems a little "off" to me,maybe its because i am only playing 1 player.

The killjoy for me is the soundtrack.There is no doubt that it is very well produced,and somewhat suiting of the setting that the game is in,but it is not shoot em up music. After a couple of hours with the game, i was getting quite annoyed with the music.Its music slider all the way to the left from now on.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Just a quick note that not only has this one has been included in the latest pay-what-you-want Humble Indie Bundle, but that it's been ported to Mac and Linux as well:

http://www.humblebundle.com/
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Observer

Post by Observer »

Moreover, it's DRM-free now so, grab it while you can! The bundle comes with the OST too.
westquote

Post by westquote »

Glad you guys noticed! :)

To clarify, the game is now available DRM-free from GamersGate and Direct2Drive, and will remain so after the end of the promotion! Hope you all enjoy it!
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

This humble bundle version: it'd identified as version 1.0.0.w32. Is it the initial release version of the game, or have all the bugfixes and engine optimizations been incorporated into a new w32 branch?

Also, is it compatible with the gamersgate version of the DLC?

Let it not be said that embracing DRM-free does not go unrewarded. If anyone else has been holding out on this game like I have, I can assure that the humble bundle version has been liberated from the nefarious steam frontend.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
westquote

Post by westquote »

Happy to please. :) The 1.0.0 version marks the beginning of the new versioning scheme, now that we're not depending on Steam to handle versioning for us. It has all the bugfixes, optimizations, and other improvements that the last 6 months have yielded. Also, the DLC should work correctly in both the DRM-free OSX and Windows versions, regardless of which DRM-free distributor you buy it from.

Have fun, and email us at support@finalformgames.com if you have any issues.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

westquote wrote:Glad you guys noticed! :)

To clarify, the game is now available DRM-free from GamersGate and Direct2Drive, and will remain so after the end of the promotion! Hope you all enjoy it!
Someone tell that to Gamersgate. I just bought the expansion, they're giving me registry keys, and I can't even get the installer to run (I suspect because I don't have Steam installed).
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BiQ

Post by BiQ »

I just bought the bundle because it had Cave Story+. The I found out something is borked with my display drivers (I also have a mac) which prevents Cave Story+ from running and I was very bummed because it seems I need to reformat+reinstall my system in the best case and deal with a hardware problem in the worst... :x Then I saw that there's this Jamestown thing, and after seeing the trailer immediately tried it and it works and now the bundle feels worthwhile again. Thanks! :D