Thunder Force IV High Scores... (New Thread)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
The Coop

Thunder Force IV High Scores... (New Thread)

Post by The Coop »

Hey all. Since BUHA doesn't seem to be updating the old thread anymore (aka at all), I was presented with the option of starting a new one. So...

As expected, no continues, and default number of lives. Also, be sure to list what difficulty you played on, as all four are eligible. And because this game is littered with milking spots, please try to keep milking down to a minimum. As such, the scores from myself and Ruldra where we were milking the hell out of this game have been excluded, and replaced with our previous scores. Sure, a score of 100,000,000 would be cool, but...

Please list your info as...

Name - Stage Reached - Score - Difficulty

And, we're off!

Mania

Code: Select all

Name         - Stage Reached         - Score
------------------------------------------------------------------

KimKas       - All                   - 7,369,690
The Coop     - All                   - 7,327,540
Aggro Sky    - All                   - 6,699,260
GradiusuiraD - All                   - 4,373,630 

Hard

Normal

Name              - Stage Reached    - Score

The Coop          - All              - 6,588,300
KimKas            - All              - 6,544,690
edusword          - All              - 6,504,550
Perikles          - All              - 6,493,590
Ruldra            - All              - 6,250,610
azmun             - All              - 6,246,720
FraGMarE          - All              - 6,143,110
Angry Hina        - All              - 6.004.940
PlasmaBlooD       - All              - 5,969,700
fogelmir          - All              - 4,943,860
S_Jake            - All              - 4,216,400
gabrielesquaratti - All              - 4,048,230
Battletoad        - All              - 3,712,840
UGO               - All              - 3,690,240
gs68              - Level 9          - 2,131,850
BUHA              - Level 8          - 1,322,400
Samurai Fox       - Level 9          - 1,307,990   

Easy

tizerist     - ???                   - 1,876,830
Last edited by The Coop on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:21 am, edited 23 times in total.
Battletoad

Re: Thunder Force IV High Scores... (New Thread)

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - All - 3,712,840 - Normal

I´m not very good at this game yet... but I want to change that soon ;)
gs68

Post by gs68 »

gs68 - Stage 9 - 2,131,850 - Normal

If it's of any relevance, initial route was Daser-Strite-AirRaid-Ruins.
IIRC, my deaths were 1 death on Strite and the rest on stage 9.
Krimzon Kitzune

Post by Krimzon Kitzune »

Last edited by Krimzon Kitzune on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
".... that would be rubbish."
Captain

Post by Captain »

Done in Mania.
All stages done
NO MISS

I tried hard :P
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

GradiusuiraD wrote:Done in Mania.
All stages done
NO MISS

I tried hard :P
You will need to place your score in a proper format. If you don't, how would score authors be able to put your score on the table?
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
Captain

Post by Captain »

GradiusuiraD - all - 4,373,630 - Mania
Image Image
Captain

Post by Captain »

I'm gunna aim for a better one today.
Image Image
S_Jake

Post by S_Jake »

Name: S_Jake
Stage: ALLCLEAR
Score: 3,935,150
Diff: NORMAL

Was a lot better than this in '92: I think I must have gone soft in my old age! ;)
S_Jake

Post by S_Jake »

S_Jake - ALLCLEAR - 4,216,400 - NORMAL

A slight improvement. No milking, started with 3 lives - I figured I'd mention this as I figure using the life cheat would be worth 960,000 points. ;) By the way, I think The Coop is a star for maintaining the high scores for nearly four years (even if the thread doesn't see very much activity)! :)
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

Normal:
PlasmaBlooD - All - 5,969,700
gabrielesquaratti

Post by gabrielesquaratti »

4048230 ALL Mega Drive

my first time 1cc that game,after about a week not costantly practice (i never constantly practice,i have a job :D )

btw,incredible game
edusword

Post by edusword »

edusword - ALL - 6,504,550 - Normal - No Miss

Youtube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr-_ekSf7IQ
KimKas

Post by KimKas »

Hello all, I would like to post my score in Maniac mode.
KimKas - ALL - 7352350 - Maniac (No-miss)

Edit : Apologies, the image was way too small before, this is the original-sized screenshot.

UGO

Post by UGO »

Played Lightening Force.
Normal :
UGO - All - 3,690,240
The Coop wrote:And because this game is littered with milking spots, please try to keep milking down to a minimum. As such, the scores from myself and Ruldra where we were milking the hell out of this game have been excluded, and replaced with our previous scores. Sure, a score of 100,000,000 would be cool, but...
If the game make it possible...
If you got a higher score it would be logical that it appears here.
L-Dis, Gaiares, Battle Squadron... Go replay : http://www.dailymotion.com/UGO--Runs--- ... oId=xensqt
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

UGO wrote:
The Coop wrote:And because this game is littered with milking spots, please try to keep milking down to a minimum. As such, the scores from myself and Ruldra where we were milking the hell out of this game have been excluded, and replaced with our previous scores. Sure, a score of 100,000,000 would be cool, but...
It's remarkably tedious, and it takes every last drop of the fun out of playing the game when it gets reduced to "who can sit in this endless loop the longest" as the only way to even try and get close to a high score. That's why I took those scores out. I mean, who'd want to play a game where skill and doing well with multipliers and finding score bonuses doesn't decide the victor, sitting in one area for two hours straight does? That's not fun in the least, or inviting to those who want to try and take part. So, the milking scores got dropped. May not make sense to some people, but it makes sense to me.

Maybe someday I'll add a bracket for those who want to milk the hell out of the game, that way those who play through without heavy milking won't get left behind simply because they don't have two-plus hours to sit and do it.
UGO

Post by UGO »

If we choose to not include higer scores what is the sense for present scores !? And if it is milking wich make difference. "Reduce milking you can't milk but you can milk a very little more in order to beat the first with few points". So scores can become higer and higer by this way. I think it's better to show directly the very higest made.
Or the ranking should be better a 1CC Low Score Ranking.
L-Dis, Gaiares, Battle Squadron... Go replay : http://www.dailymotion.com/UGO--Runs--- ... oId=xensqt
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

UGO wrote:If we choose to not include higer scores what is the sense for present scores !? And if it is milking wich make difference. "Reduce milking you can't milk but you can milk a very little more in order to beat the first with few points". So scores can become higer and higer by this way. I think it's better to show directly the very higest made.
Or the ranking should be better a 1CC Low Score Ranking.
As I said, there's no fun in having to milk things for an hour, or two hours, or more, to get a high score. It stops being fun, and quickly becomes irritating while sucking the life out of the competition. Can I tell when someone's been heavily milking? To a degree, yes, having done it myself when edusword and I were bouncing back and forth with our scores. If a score gets put in here that seems to come from it, I'll likely still put it up since I have no proof to point at them and say, "NO SCOREBOARD FOR YOU!" Perhaps they found hidden things I didn't, or simply shot more enemies down. But I am asking those who play to not go milk happy, and to honor that request in the same way we ask people not to cheat in the tournies on this site while not requiring them to submit replays to prove they didn't cheat; in other words, an honor system. Whether that request gets honored, is up in the air.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

UGO wrote:a 1CC Low Score Ranking.
I have always thought about something like this.
It would make for a neat different kind of challenge, kinda like a "pacifist" 1CC contest.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Normal

Perikles - ALL - 5,085,200

Guys, I need your wisdom. I didn't get any points for destroying the final boss whatsoever, yet I just saw edusword's video where he got almost a million points for doing so. Is there some obscure special condition you need to fulfill in order to get the bonus? Is it random? I'd love to get a better score, but I'm at a loss here. :?
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Normal

Perikles - ALL - 6,009,960

This time, I played the US version and got my points. Aside from a nerfed Gargoylediver this version seems to be pretty much identical. I've skimmed through a few Youtube videos for Thunder Force IV and found out that some players got the bonus after defeating the final boss, but most of them didn't. On the other hand, in every replay of Lightening Force that I saw they got to enjoy their sweet reward. At this point I can only recommend to play the US version so that you can certainly (?) get that massive boost at the end.
KimKas

Post by KimKas »

The Coop wrote:
UGO wrote:
It's remarkably tedious, and it takes every last drop of the fun out of playing the game when it gets reduced to "who can sit in this endless loop the longest" as the only way to even try and get close to a high score. That's why I took those scores out. I mean, who'd want to play a game where skill and doing well with multipliers and finding score bonuses doesn't decide the victor, sitting in one area for two hours straight does? That's not fun in the least, or inviting to those who want to try and take part. So, the milking scores got dropped. May not make sense to some people, but it makes sense to me.

Maybe someday I'll add a bracket for those who want to milk the hell out of the game, that way those who play through without heavy milking won't get left behind simply because they don't have two-plus hours to sit and do it.
Fair point, although it is pretty hard to put a boundary on that...

Do we consider shooting down every single enemy that pops on the screen as milking ? That doesn't extend the game time-wise as we don't sit inside a loop for hours and hours, I think the fun is in shooting down as many as you can within the time-frame the game offers to you. I didn't see my score on the Mania ranking so I presume you felt I milked, although I honestly think that our respective scores are in the ball-park of the limit one can score without resorting to milking (I put down the few 10k of difference to taking a couple more bonuses).
KimKas

Post by KimKas »

Perikles wrote:Image

Normal

Perikles - ALL - 5,085,200

Guys, I need your wisdom. I didn't get any points for destroying the final boss whatsoever, yet I just saw edusword's video where he got almost a million points for doing so. Is there some obscure special condition you need to fulfill in order to get the bonus? Is it random? I'd love to get a better score, but I'm at a loss here. :?
I think you are using the Japanese version of the game, that one doesn't include the 1M pts bonus for killing the final boss.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

KimKas wrote:I think you are using the Japanese version of the game, that one doesn't include the 1M pts bonus for killing the final boss.
That's the weird thing, though: usually this seems to be the case, but edusword for example played the Japanese version and did get the bonus. I have no idea why this happens on such an irregular basis in Thunder Force IV whereas it always seems to occur in Lightening Force.
KimKas

Post by KimKas »

Perikles wrote:
KimKas wrote:I think you are using the Japanese version of the game, that one doesn't include the 1M pts bonus for killing the final boss.
That's the weird thing, though: usually this seems to be the case, but edusword for example played the Japanese version and did get the bonus. I have no idea why this happens on such an irregular basis in Thunder Force IV whereas it always seems to occur in Lightening Force.
Hmm, I haven't played Lightning Force specifically so I don't know how that one behaves, to be honest with you. I have played both the Japanese version (without the 1M bonus points) and the European version (with the 1M bonus points).
KimKas

Post by KimKas »

Been a while since I last played in Normal mode, everything felt so slow...

KimKas - 6513030 pts - Normal mode - No Miss

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahfonwq22fgng ... 9.png?dl=0

No milking, nothing, just slaying all enemies I could slay on the screen. Took about 45 minutes to complete. I'm surprised that The Coop was able to get an extra 150k without milking, I'm pretty certain to be close to the limit. I'll try improving on my score.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

After all the hubbub and shit about the milking stuff back in the old thread, I decided to sit down and make a new score for this one on Normal. Seemed fitting since it's been so long, that I can't remember how much I did or didn't milk certain bosses with that run. So, here's a new one...

The Coop - All - 6,588,300 - Normal

KimKas

Post by KimKas »

I got a slight improvement on my previous score, I think the difference is happening in the 9th stage, when those rounds things come flying at us before the 9th boss. They give a lot of points and it's kind of hard to get them all but it's definitely a variable in the final score.

KimKas - All - 6544690 - Normal

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vn08lxcz7b64j ... 4.png?dl=0

No milking, nothing, just regular style. Took about 45 minutes.
KimKas

Post by KimKas »

I went back to Maniac mode for some good old-fashioned fun and got an updated score :
KimKas - All - 7369690 - Maniac

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ntaksqmhmq34 ... 3.png?dl=0

I also posted another score of mine earlier, which is actually lower than this one :
KimKas - All - 7352350 - Maniac

If you prefer taking the lower one that's fine, I didn't resort to milking in either of these scores. Back on the French forum of Shmup, I had scores in the range of 7430k and I think that's about as high as I ever went. I wouldn't be surprised to see people go beyond this if they get a nice clean run until Stage 9, which is where I feel one can get a make or break run.
azmun

Post by azmun »

Started playing little over two weeks ago and got to do a 1CC yesterday afternoon. It was a hard battle and an even sweeter victory. Stopped a whole week and glad I didn't lose much momentum. I struggled specially in the later stages.

Boss fights have never been this exhilarating. I have not yet played TF6 but in TF3, they were pretty much a breeze and you were spoon fed their weakness. In TF5 reticles guided you plus using free range weapon effectively made things much easier. Here they seem hidden and can only be revealed with red sparks. Frequently you are required to shoot down weak spots (and sometimes tiny weak points) in very specific order.

Here are my stats which I hope to improve on my succeeding runs:

azmun - all clear - 3,905,640 - normal