The 194X and Strikers series... related?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Zweihander

The 194X and Strikers series... related?

Post by Zweihander »

Another stupid question, but... are the Strikers games officially related to the 194X games, or not? I know Capcom did the 194X series and Psikyo did the Strikers games, but... since Capcom and Psikyo have worked together in the past... are they officially tied into one another? Considering obvious similarities, including the exact same Bomb motion that many Strikers ships do? (the loop-de-loop thing)

I originally thought they were all the same series, but i checked Shoot The Core and they were listed as separate ones... So, anyone with knowledge of this, please enlighten me. ^^;
Schrodinger's cat wrote:Yeah, "shmup" really sounds like a term a Jewish grandmother would insult you with.
infested_ysy

Post by infested_ysy »

o_O

And I was about to make a similar thread on the 19xx series and the Strikers series having an actual storyline.

Anyway, I think this link would clear things out:
http://www.digitalmonkeybox.com/strikers_1945.htm
The Story:

The war is finally over. Jonathan Striker can go back home for a much deserved rest. Or so he thought. A new threat has emerged from the ashes of the second world war. It seems that pilots on both sides have turned against their comrades without reason or provocation.

Although they are more technologically advanced, Striker does not believe that this force is being lead by someone from the future. Strikers has formed a new team comprised of ace pilots from all over the globe. Each pilot brings their unique abilities and ace flying skills to the team. With Striker's heroism in the war, his fellow pilots thought it would be appropriate to name the team after Jonathan. The team is called Strikers. Striker must now lead the Strikers and find out who, or what, is behind this uprising.
Hmm... I'm not really fond of the 19xx series (never liked the graphics and presentation of it for some reason), but don't you control a P-38 in the 19xx series? If so... does that mean that.... Striker is a female (or changed to piloting a Shinden in Strikers 1945), as seen on the 1CC ending pilot picture for Strikers 1945? O_o
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Capcom and Psikyo worked together on other, and later, games than the 19XX series (Gun Spike, Taisen Net Gimmick, etc.). The 19XX is completely unrelated, but the idea behind the strikers is also based on creating a shmup set in wwII, in some sense. Capcom made an homage to Strikers 1945 by putting, as a carrier power-up, a flying pancake, and there are also other "quotes" too (can't recall them now).

On the pilots: while i don't know who John Striker is (they must have added him as an afterthought, or the plot presented is inconsistent with the names of the pilots), the body-builder guy is Ayin from Sengoku Ace.The different states of undressing are based on your perfomance during the game, btw.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
infested_ysy

Post by infested_ysy »

Randorama wrote: the body-builder guy is Ayin from Sengoku Ace.
Aine? Ain? Ayin? o_O

Why is it that Psikyo has this fetish with adding this guy in almost every shmup they produce? This is like, the third game he appeared in a game already (one being Sengoku Ace 2, Gunbird 2, and Strikers 1945, as you've said)
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

infested_ysy wrote:
Randorama wrote: the body-builder guy is Ayin from Sengoku Ace.
Aine? Ain? Ayin? o_O

Why is it that Psikyo has this fetish with adding this guy in almost every shmup they produce? This is like, the third game he appeared in a game already (one being Sengoku Ace 2, Gunbird 2, and Strikers 1945, as you've said)
Let's go in the right order.

Ayin (or whatever) appears for the first time Sengoku Ace. He pilots the Shinden, which is an historical plane from wwII.In strikers, as they put an historical plane per country, so to speak, they choose to use him as a character, inner humour so to speak. In Sengoku Ace 2, he appears again and it is clarified that he's gay (yeah, gay samurai, a reference to Cho Aniki too, i don't know why). In Gun bird 2, he reappears as a secret character (again, like in Ace 2). He also appears in the first or second game of Taisen Hot Gimmick series (Mahjong games by Psikyo, strongly on the hentai side), as a secret opponent. No, i don't know what you can do to him in case of victory, if you know what i mean :?

At any case, Psikyo had a lot of toilet humour and random weirdness going on, in their games (Ayin's tag team finals are pretty hilarious...).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

Randorama wrote:The different states of undressing are based on your perfomance during the game, btw.
does anyone know the terms it judges by?

/derail
I have no sig whatsoever.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Was that the plot line for Strikers 1945 I or II? Because I know the organization CANY was in cahoots with the aliens in the first one, and then the elite unit Strikers was called to dispose of them.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

@captain: you should get all gold medals as bonuses. When you complete the game, you will get an evaluation on your performance (first loop), if you can get all gold medals per every stage, you will trigger the maximum state of undress.

That plot should be on the first game, btw.
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

infested_ysy wrote:Why is it that Psikyo has this fetish with adding this guy in almost every shmup they produce? This is like, the third game he appeared in a game already (one being Sengoku Ace 2, Gunbird 2, and Strikers 1945, as you've said)
It seems to be a standard joke in "cheesecake" games (mahjong, Gals Panic, most everything by Psikyo, etc.) to throw one musclebound man in with the ladies. Think "Ha ha, you were expecting to see a cute babe, weren't you, how do you like this instead?"
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Well, considering the story charted on THIS review...

http://www.digitalmonkeybox.com/dogyuun.htm

The actual story (i.e. translated from the original Japanese) was over at http://www.rf-emporium.net/, but it doesn't seem to have been restored. However, from what I remember of that and the S1945+ story, C.A.N.Y. was originally composed of high military officials who refused to accept the terms of the Potsdam Declaration--from both Axis and Allies. The official story, though, does not make reference to the aliens from whom C.A.N.Y. got their technology (and, it seems, helped found the organization--C.A.N.Y. is derived from "kyani", meaning "crab")--that's for Our Heroes to discover.

My personal guess is that the opposition to the Declaration was just meant to lead those who DID accept the Declaration astray as to C.A.N.Y.'s real goals--to weaken the world's militaries to a point where world conquest would be assured.

1945II and 1945+'s enemy is F.G.R., which stole data from Strikers headquarters pertaining to the fight against C.A.N.Y. in order to develop their own shapeshifters. However, except for the final boss, there's no notable alien presence--the whole game takes place on Earth:

Graf Zeppelin stage: Dauphine (province in southeastern France)
Syumi Type 0 stage: East China Sea
Iron Casket stage: Davis Strait
Goliath stage: Arizona
st. 5: Angola (although the preview shot of Rommel shows pyramids)
st. 6-8: Rio Madeira (in the Amazon)

I have a feeling that F.G.R. stands for Fourth German Reich. Whether they're supposed to have more in common with Hitler or Bismarck, I don't know.