Best shmup soundtrack?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Which is the best, in your opinion, soundtrack to a shoot 'em up.

Ikaruga
47%
Dodonpachi / Donpachi / DOJ
19%
ESP Galuda / Ra.De
16%
Shikigami no Shiro I/II
No votes
Vasara 1/2
2%
Giga Wing 1/2
5%
Gunbird 1/2
No votes
Raiden / II / DX
5%
R-Type
7%

Total votes: 43

Lyle

Post by Lyle »

I chose Ikaruga. Overall, the soundtrack is pretty good but to me the tune that stands above the rest is in level 4. I find this one makes the entire level litterally moving, expressing some sort of desperate heroism. I've never felt that in any other shmup. I find it too hard to get through the middle part of the game (where you get around the circular thingie), not only because it's insanely tough, but essentially because emotion takes over. Too beautiful to concentrate on and actually best looked at.

Now, my fav soundtracks have to be Axelay, Thunder Force 5 and Border Down, as they're made of excellent pieces only. There's no waste in those three games.
russ

Post by russ »

I think this thread is great, I love discussing music in shmups, but it keeps getting bashed because of some personal hatred of the topic creator. So some people in another forum didn't like this guy because he had an opinion and disagreed with stuff. So what?

Anyways, I selected Ikaruga - The music really fits the game, and gives it this "epic" feel to it that really works well as the game progresses. I don't even like Ikaruga (and sometimes I think I'm the only one who doesn't), but I wouldn't disagree with someone who says the music kicks ass.

However, my favorite soundtrack in a shooter is in Soukyugurentai by Hitoshi Sakimoto, and I've never heard music used so well in a shmup before or after this one. It really sets the dark theme for this game, especially during the boss fights and the later stages.
"No beer until you've finished your tequila!"
zinger

Post by zinger »

russ wrote:However, my favorite soundtrack in a shooter is in Soukyugurentai by Hitoshi Sakimoto, and I've never heard music used so well in a shmup before or after this one. It really sets the dark theme for this game, especially during the boss fights and the later stages.
Didn't Hitoshi Sakimoto and Manabu Namiki cooporate on this one? A couple of nice compositions, but I've never liked the ST-V soundchip, and Namiki can do better than this IMO. ;)