RQ: V-Five (Toaplan) - second boss

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Estebang

RQ: V-Five (Toaplan) - second boss

Post by Estebang »

I've never hit a wall like this so early in a shmup before. Well, maybe the first boss of Dogyuun, but he's a pushover when I'm using the two-player fusion ship.

So the second boss of V-Five: he starts out with the turrets, which are easily dealt with. Then we move up to the side-homing lasers that we're all so familiar with from countless other shmups. I can handle the first time they're fired, but then he summons all these popcorn drones to rush you, while firing a few bullet spreads on top. Any two of these elements by themselves would be no problem, but with all three combined, I can't beat him even with a full shield and a maxed-out frontal laser. Oh, and the game drops you back to a checkpoint when you die.

When I use search lasers, the popcorns are taken care of, but they're so weak that I have to stay alive for too long. Using missiles poses the same problem, though they're a bit stronger.

Anyone able to help me out, or should I just play it on Grind Stormer?
Ruldra

Re: RQ: V-Five (Toaplan) - second boss

Post by Ruldra »

Stick to the default shot and spread the options in a V pattern in a way that destroy all drones the moment they come out. Then it's just a matter of going up and down to avoid the lasers, and to the sides to dodge the bullets.

This reminds me, I have a 1st loop no-miss run sitting here that I need to upload to youtube...
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Still gave me a bitch of a time, but I finally beat him with your strategy! Thanks!

Between this, Night Slave, and Psycho-Nics Oscar, I'm convinced that more non-Gradius games should have Gradius powerup bars.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Personally, I use the option missles on that boss... when I tried it other ways, I found it difficult as you described. I actually find the missles to be the most useful for the first 3 or 4 stages, after which I prefer to switch to the normal shot (options forward for the powerful laser).
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Do you guys prefer V-V to Grind Stormer? I haven't given V-V much time yet, but it seems like the game might be better with the gradius power-up style.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

I think the game was originally meant to be played with the power-up bar, so I ended up sticking with V-V. But you should play whatever version you like more.

Keep in mind, however, that Grindstormer is way harder than V-V. In V-V you can recharge your shields repeatedly just like in Gradius, while in Grindstormer you have 3 bombs to save yourself and not many more come by.

The biggest difference is in the 2nd loop. In V-V the suicide bullets are aimed and they all go in a straight line, while in Grindstormer they are 'sprayed' in your direction. Killing many enemies at once will flood the screen with bullets and force you to waste a bomb.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Arcade Legends 3

Post by Arcade Legends 3 »

I prefer the Genesis'/Mega Drive port, which includes both games. I mean that if one wants to play V-Five, he should stick to the port; anyway, for MAME there are better games.
If one has had big dificulties in passing the second boss, he must stick to the port, because it is easier. Anyway, there are better games.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Arcade Legends 3 wrote:I prefer the Genesis'/Mega Drive port, which includes both games. I mean that if one wants to play V-Five, he should stick to the port; anyway, for MAME there are better games.
If one has had big dificulties in passing the second boss, he must stick to the port, because it is easier. Anyway, there are better games.
Eh, better than that 1944 crap :P
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Arcade Legends 3 wrote:(wtf)
Leave it to the Bulgarians to turn out insane posts like this.

What kind of reasoning is that? Because "better games" exist on MAME, everything else needs to be played on muddy inaccurate console ports? Furthermore, I think V-5 is easily one of my top 15 favorite shmups!
Arcade Legends 3

Leave it to the Bulgarians to turn out insane posts like this.
Hey man...
Fine. I will forgive you.
Maybe I will forgive you all the times - if you are just not in my class. (You are an English - and you English-men have traditions in duels, right?)
^^ :wink:
Arcade Legends 3

Your smartness actually is not enough to understand the two poinst of mine...
So I will just forgive you.
(V-Five is relatively very cheap.)

p.s.
Eh, better than that 1944 crap
p.p.s. Hey man? Hello? Try to get to the sixth stage on one credit...
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Hey? Umm, hello? You there ACL3? Can you hear me?

So, difficulty in reaching Stage 6 in one credit makes a good game?

You go play Pink Sweets and get to st6, and I'll consider attempting it in 1944 ;)
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Arcade Legends 3 doesn't know that "New England" is part of the US.

I think we can safely invalidate anything more he has to say.