A silly question: feasibility of a "neGcon 2"?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Zach Keene

A silly question: feasibility of a "neGcon 2"?

Post by Zach Keene »

This really has nothing to do with hardware for shmupping so I'll move this to OT if people think it should go there instead.

This is mostly an academic question because I wouldn't have the skill to do it even if it's possible, but would it be possible to somehow modify a neGcon controller to mimic a PS2 steering wheel? Or even construct some sort of converter device? Because GT4's (for one example) lack of neGcon support simply sucks all kinds of ass.

EDIT: or failing that, even some sort of neGcon -> DS2 converter might do (map twisting to x-axis on left stick, etc.)
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: A silly question: feasibility of a "neGcon 2"?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Zach Keene wrote:This really has nothing to do with hardware for shmupping so I'll move this to OT if people think it should go there instead.

This is mostly an academic question because I wouldn't have the skill to do it even if it's possible, but would it be possible to somehow modify a neGcon controller to mimic a PS2 steering wheel? Or even construct some sort of converter device? Because GT4's (for one example) lack of neGcon support simply sucks all kinds of ass.

EDIT: or failing that, even some sort of neGcon -> DS2 converter might do (map twisting to x-axis on left stick, etc.)
Hi there Zach,

The only PS2 racing game that have built-n NegCon/JogCon capabilities is Ridge Racer V.

SCEJ talked about having NegCon/JogCon compatibility with Gran Turismo 3 when it was still under developement but later decided that the Logitech Driving Force steering wheel would be better supported instead.

In order for a PS2 racing game to recognize such a Namco NegCon or JogCon controller, custom controller drivers would have to built-into the actual PS2 racing game program itself to properly dedect and configure such a speciality driving controller as those two are Namco properity driving controllers.

As for the various different regions of Gran Turismo 4 (Asia, Japan, USA, & Europe, etc.), there is no built-in support for either NegCon or JogCon racing controller unless SCEI brings out another "patch" GT4 PS2 disc that would allow such Namco controllers to interface with GT4...just configuring either or both a NegCon/JogCon takes special configurations to adjust them properly to a specific PSX or PS2 racing game. The only PS2 driving controllers that GT3 & GT4 properly recognize are the official Logitech Driving Force/Racing Force/Original Momo Force/Driving Force Pro sets of steering wheels as the proper drivers are already built into the GT3 & GT4 racing programs to instantly recognize/configure them via PS2's USB port.

Sadly, the only two racing games that have official support for Namco's JogCon controller are the PSX Ridge Racer Type 4 and the PS2 Ridge Racer V games...kinda pathetic selection but that's Namco's fault for not including NegCon/JogCon support in it's later released PS2 racing game of R: Racing Evolution (which was rumored to be Ridge Racer 6 but it wasn't a sequel to the Ridge Racer series at all but a new racer built-in from the ground up).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Thanks, but I was aware of why the neGcon won't work with most PS2 racers (support programming for it simply doesn't exist.) My question was if you could mod one (or construct some sort of conversion device) such that the PS2 would be fooled into seeing it as a Logitech wheel (or at least a regular Dual Shock 2.)

Wipeout Fusion also has neGcon support, BTW.