RQ: Gradius V Option Types

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Gearhalt

RQ: Gradius V Option Types

Post by Gearhalt »

I'm pretty new to shooters but so far the game I've been playing the most for the past few months has been Gradius V. I'm wanting to know what the "best" type(1,2,3 or 4) to use is. It seems that type 2 is incredible since it let's you fire in literally in direction. Is it a matter of preference? Or is it a matter of bragging rights or strategy to use type 1,3 or 4? I'm just wondering what the best type is to take me the distance!

(mod edit: changed thread title to fit Strategy Section Guidelines)
Live long, destroy planets and enjoy the spoils.
dunpeal2064

Re: RQ: Gradius V Option Types

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I always felt the same, that type 2 is by far the best, and most fun to play with.

You can unlock a ship edit mode once you clear the game, so you can try the other weapons while keeping t2 options.

type 4 isn't too bad, but I get much further with 2
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

BIL

Post by BIL »

Type 1.

If I remember right it was the highest-scoring type back when Konami held the official US, European and Japanese score competitions.... regardless, it's powerfully versatile. As Icarus demonstrated it can wipe out bosses in no time flat, and defensively it can effectively mimic Types 3 and 4 amongst unlimited custom arrangements. Also, being able to stay constantly mobile is a big advantage over Type 2's stationary aiming. From Loop 2 onward, you don't want to be sitting still while wiping out screenloads of enemies (suicide bullets).

Type 2 may be the most user-friendly choice for a first-time clear, though, since you can quickly get a bead on enemies in unfamiliar settings where Type 1 benefits from advance planning.

Type 3 gets cool points for being a Thunder Cross homage. ^^
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Types 3 and 4 are defense-oriented and therefore suited for beginners. Once you're more familiar with the game and more confident in your skills, you should move on to Types 1 and 2. These are more versatile and lets you change the formation to suit your needs for any given area. It's also a plus that you can use Types 1 and 2 to make the formations of Type 3 and 4.

When I started the game I used Type 3, but nowadays I use Type 1. When I'm not using the options to speedkill enemies, I arrange them in the Type 3 formation.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

type 4 makes you basically invincible and is great for the early levels. Starting at about level 5-6 though I think it leaves you hanging.

Unfortunately I've learned the levels so well using type 4 that I suck with anything else. So I get through the first 4 levels perfect and then the shit starts to hit the fan.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Type 1 is by far the best, although it's probably one of the trickier ones to use compared to Type 4's rotating options, since you need to plan how your options are setup in stages, and that can require memorization. However, you can position them much like Type 3 or Type 4 and they can be used to attack enemies behind obstacles, something Type 2 can't do.

Also important to note is that on higher difficulties/loops, enemies fire bullets at you when they die, so it's actually dangerous to simply gun down everything on the screen at times. Type 1 is better for letting you control exactly where to shoot in this regard as well compared to something like Type 3 or 4.