What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
CIT

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by CIT »

Catching up on some classic RPGs I never played, so first up is:

Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes I

Simplistic, but very enjoyable game. I like how everything in this game (battles, walking speed, etc.) is really fast. The voice acting in the US version is hilarious, btw.
Kasbe

Post by Kasbe »

Silent Hill 3. It took me a while to find a copy.
Neith

Post by Neith »

Just got my SNES-101 and the following games out of storage:

Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG

Needless to say I've been on a retro RPG binge primarily playing FFIII.

Just got Secret of Mana on ebay which will be waiting for me and my little snes when I return from holiday ^ ^
NZA

Post by NZA »

Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Punch Out! (wii) just went on sale for $20 new.

Honestly, all the punch out games are basically identical, but for some reason, it seems not to matter.

Also been on a point-n-click adventure kick the past few days. Played Machinarium & Gemini Rue. And a lot of utter shit on Jayisgames. :wink:
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
1up

Post by 1up »

Finished Gears of War 2 and just started on 'Splosion Man. Bought this in the XBL Summer Sale last year and just got around to it now :?

So many games and so little time. With all the big titles coming out from now till q2 next year, I will never catch up. good thing is that when I finally get around to playing those games they will have dropped in price :lol:
NZA

Post by NZA »

Moniker wrote:Punch Out! (wii) just went on sale for $20 new.

Honestly, all the punch out games are basically identical, but for some reason, it seems not to matter.

Also been on a point-n-click adventure kick the past few days. Played Machinarium & Gemini Rue. And a lot of utter shit on Jayisgames. :wink:
Does the reduced price Punch Out give you Club Nintendo points?
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

NZA wrote:
Moniker wrote:Punch Out! (wii) just went on sale for $20 new.

Does the reduced price Punch Out give you Club Nintendo points?
Yup.
gabe

Post by gabe »

Mr. Driller (ARC)
Ferrari F355 Challenge (DC)
Shenmue (though this might be considered more of a non-game)
Seaman (definitely a non-game)
mouser

Post by mouser »

Alisia Dragoon on Genesis, just found it at a retro game store a couple days ago. A very different sort of platformer, but I think I'm liking it. Good music too.

But soon the tide of September games will hit:
-Gear of War 3
-Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP)
-Disgaea 4
-Warhammer 40K: Space Marines
-Radiant Silvergun

whooosh....
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I've been playing Disgaea 4 for a few days now. So far, there still seems to be a lot of the new mechanics that haven't really been figured out by anyone yet (and the official strategy guide is, from what I hear, terrible to the point of uselessness) but there are some nice additions to the game mechanics, and it seems to be a bit easier to get into than 3 was. Haven't messed much with custom maps yet though, and I'm finding that foreign senators are generally more trouble than they're worth.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Disgaea 2 - just need one more treasure map for the Land of Carnage, but I'm not sure Taro and Tink are ready for the Red Pirates carrying that last map. I think I still need a more powerful weapon for Taro, my strongest character by far.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen

Fight it out!
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

So the final boss of Ms. Splosion Man is done in Punch-Out style? Iiiiiinteresting.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

I have a sneaking suspicion that Twisted Pixel is actually a group of incompetents. Their game mechanics are typically pretty good, but their sense of humor is pre-adolescent (Comic Jumper, anyone?), and the level design is, when it comes down to it, pretty bad. There are enough blind jumps in Ms. Splosion Man to make a bad mario hacker cry. The heroine herself is also incredibly grotesque...
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

Playing Kings Field, finally.

Frustrating, but it's like being in a time machine. A very awkward time machine. :)
lol
CulDad78

Post by CulDad78 »

Playing alot of Pop n' Pop (Taito F3).

Very nice "puzzle" game, has puzzle bobble elements for sure, but is unique enough to stand on its own.

And about to start a more involved game on Wii: Baroque, Shiren the Wanderer and Okami have all been eying me from the shelf for a few months and its time to get into one of them.
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

i'd not bothered with MH3rd and the wife and a friend had suggested we started it about 6 weeks back - 155 hours or so later, HR5 and enjoying it. Nice that the game once again makes you improve at each "brick wall"

Picked up Resistance 3 on a whim after loving the first one but hating the second. So far it's not bad at all - might even be good ! :O

Deus Ex (PC) - i played about 10 minutes. Monitor playing up a bit trying to get the damned thing to play nice. Another long game to get teeth into

Zelda 3DS Yeah, i never finished the N64 version so this is quite a nice replay. They did a good job , actually works very well with the 3D.
"I've asked 2 experts on taking RGB screenshots...."
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Mashed Fully Loaded - every lovely bit as fabulous as its reputation suggests, and I'm just unlocking stuff by myself now. Multiplayer must be terrific.
Everybody should play it (I recommend the PC version even if you don't care about high resolutions as loading times on my vintage PC are barely existent).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Siren2011
Banned User

Post by Siren2011 »

PuLiRuLa. So bloody strange,

You can say that again. :P
but rather enjoyable. Need to figure out how to do the level 3 boss without getting hit as much as I do...
The key to managing the stages is changing the properties of your swing by pressing left or right (IIRC, it's a lunge attack and covers more space between you and the enemy.), etc. Using the correct swing at the right angle/enemy situation is crucial to getting to stage four with minimal hits. It's quite fun seeing how far I can get without dying once (stage 3 is the limit). And I totally hear you about the Japanese boss. I was inventing new swear words when I first fought this asshole. The correct strategy is jump-hit and evade, rinse, repeat. It takes time to defeat him this way, and unless you have some specials left over, there is no other way, period. Remember to hit him mid air and never at his ground level, because he has that unpredictable and powerful charge attack that makes it too risky to go about it that way. Don't attack when he's spinning his hair, unless you have a death warrant.
"Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die. Trapped in a moe~ existence"
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Oh, wow. Thanks!

Also, currently playing Omega Boost. Level 5 is being a bother -- if I beat the level 4 boss [the lack of visibility makes this much harder than it should be], I get totally killed because I can barely navigate the tunnel. I'm starting to memorize the layout, but the one part with the spiral staircase-like walls totally kills me -- if I mess up slightly, it cascades out of control and I die. It's really different, going right from "oh wow, lots of room in every direction" to "fuck fuck fuck not enough space to swing a cat".

Really great game though. Control is really fluid and easy to pickup, the music is top notch, etc. It is way too easy though, until level 4.

Also, Ridge Racer Type 4, yay not being able to pass the first and second place cars for the life of me in the third heat on the course Brightest Nite [on the other hand, I am playing on my netbook [yay Acer Aspire One, way more power than I expected for the price] and I don't have a USB gamepad].
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

null1024 wrote:I get totally killed because I can barely navigate the tunnel. I'm starting to memorize the layout, but the one part with the spiral staircase-like walls totally kills me -- if I mess up slightly, it cascades out of control and I die.
The open, ground and tunnel environments all need to be controlled a bit differently. You want to hold the Scan button while negotiating the tunnel levels - this'll make the mech face front and strafe from side to side, rather than turning. The former makes it easy to keep an eye on where you're going while fine-tuning position, the latter will probably plant you in a wall with an ass full of bullets (the barricade section is a cinch when strafing - I love doing that bit in FPV). Let go of scan to target enemies, then fire and resume holding the button to keep on-course.

On ground stages (the fourth and seventh), you want to use the scan button similarly to avoid flailing all over the place / doing donuts on the floor. Pressing it will immediately reorientate your mech right-side up relative to the ground.

Omega Boost is a score trial game at heart - even the relatively easy early stages get intense when you're going for 100/100 on kills and clear times, and Hard mode is also a big jump in difficulty. That's not even getting into the bonus trial missions. It's a much more replayable game than it first appears.

edit: depending on preference, you might want to switch from Control Type A to B. The former has the mech constantly moving forward, with a brake button needed to stop. The latter is the opposite, with the mech stationary by default. It feels a lot more natural to me - holding the brake is a pain when trying to keep a bead on fast-moving targets.
Last edited by BIL on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Is anyone into roguelikes and has played Dungeons of Dredmor? Can you tell me if it's good yet?

I'm stranded without my precious consoles, and all I've got on my laptop are shmups and a handful of steam titles...
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Moniker wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that Twisted Pixel is actually a group of incompetents. Their game mechanics are typically pretty good, but their sense of humor is pre-adolescent (Comic Jumper, anyone?), and the level design is, when it comes down to it, pretty bad. There are enough blind jumps in Ms. Splosion Man to make a bad mario hacker cry. The heroine herself is also incredibly grotesque...
Yes, but the original 'Splosion Man was one of the best new platformers in years. Some of Twisted Pixel's other games are terrible, but for what it's worth the 'Splosion Man games are fun platformers with interesting setpieces.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Just finished up a character in ADoM (Ancient Domains of Mystery, roguelike) that I put probably 10+ hours into. By finished I mean I died to the boss of the Mana temple. Epic game but I'm done with it for a while.

MegaMan Legends 1 & 2... about to finish off 2 soon. 2 is a bit more fledged out than 1, but I'm liking it.

I put Ys Oath in Felghana to the side for now.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Aquas wrote:Just finished up a character in ADoM (Ancient Domains of Mystery, roguelike) that I put probably 10+ hours into. By finished I mean I died to the boss of the Mana temple. Epic game but I'm done with it for a while.
I dig on ADOM too. Hope JADE turns out well. What was your build? I usually make it down to the dwarf city and then die on one of the quests you need to keep going deeper.

I've been trying to get Brogue going, as it seems to be a great up 'n comer, but apparently my laptop keyboard is constantly feeding phantom keypresses that makes anything made with libtcod unplayable.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Moniker wrote:
Aquas wrote:Just finished up a character in ADoM (Ancient Domains of Mystery, roguelike) that I put probably 10+ hours into. By finished I mean I died to the boss of the Mana temple. Epic game but I'm done with it for a while.
I dig on ADOM too. Hope JADE turns out well. What was your build? I usually make it down to the dwarf city and then die on one of the quests you need to keep going deeper.
Dark Elven Priest. Worked out much better than expected, and was the first priest or dark elf I was successful with. I didn't know they were just as good as Wizards, which I am familiar with. I usually play High Elven Wizards or Druids.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Yeah I usually go Dwarven or High-Elf Rangers, which I guess is a munchkinish combo. The magic system for wizards & elementalists was always really unintuitive for me, but I've never really given priests a solid try. Will have to give a shot.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Ummm Dead or Alive: Paradise. Being a perv is fun.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Finally decided to buckle myself down and play through Persona 3 FES on PS2. Had the game for like 3 years, and finally got myself to a point now where I want to go on with it.