NES RGB Mod - Do these colors look right?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Sargon

NES RGB Mod - Do these colors look right?

Post by Sargon »

I just recently had an RGB mod completed on my NES and I am testing it out through my XRGB-3. I'm not sure whether I'm just not used to the color palette being a little different or if there is a problem somewhere in my setup that is causing the colors to be off. I am posting a couple pictures that I took and would appreciate it if anyone can take a look and let me know what you think.

Super Mario Bros - The sky has a very purplish hue. It looks much bluer in the picture than it does to the naked eye, but should it be a bright blue background?

Tecmo Super Bowl - The pink color, such as what is displayed on the play selection screen, seems like a very washed out pink. Some of the other colors are bright and vibrant, but the pink looks very dull. Is this normal?

neorichieb1971

Re: NES RGB Mod - Do these colors look right?

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I've heard that RGB mods on the NES system create weird and wonderful palettes.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

neorichieb1971 wrote:I've heard that RGB mods on the NES system create weird and wonderful palettes.
This is true. A good example is Kid Dracula (Normal, RGB). Some games don't even show up in RGB at all, like The Immortal.

My advice would be to get a NES emulator where you can change the palette to RGB, like Nestopia, and check if it looks the same kind of weird.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

Doesn't the NES use some unique color palette? If the games were not designed to display in RGB then it should be no surprise if things look a little strange.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Things look DIFFERENT with the RGB mod, not necessarily strange. This is roughly the same setup Nintendo used to take screenshots from their games, and AFAIK PlayChoice games look the same on the PC10 hardware as they do on the modded NES(?). There are supposedly only a couple of games where the colors get real weird, and like a single game that doesn't work with it.

I like the more modest colors myself.
Spacemonkey

Post by Spacemonkey »

Some games do not work too well with the RGB PPU.
So far everything Konami looks good to me.
On Athena her skin color was off, sometimes background objects used the same color so she would blend with the background...I don't care for that game so it's not a big deal for me.
On Double Dragon 2 some of the enemies use a regular skin color on their face, but their body uses some strange yellowish color.
Overall you are going to notice problems with skin tones. The other palette differences might not be noticeable unless you compare the 2 side by side.
Some games have strange flickering pixels on the edges of the screen, although most people won't see that if their TV is over-scanned.

An RGB modded NES/Famicom should not be an all out replacement for a regular system, I have a modded AV Famicom and a standard Famicom as well as a NES and use all three.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

Thanks for the responses. I took the advice of comparing my colors to those in Nestopia using the RGB palette and found that they do in fact resemble the Nestopia RGB colors. Super Mario Bros in Nesticle was slightly bluer than mine, but far from the bright blue background that I expected. Tecmo Super Bowl was a subtle difference, but the play selection screen is definitely a little bit pinker in RGB. With that said, I do believe that most of what I am experiencing is simply a result of the different color palette. I will get used to it though since the improvements outweigh the slight differences in most games.
antron

Post by antron »

Sargon wrote:Nesticle was slightly bluer than mine
:lol:, sorry, can't help it. :lol:
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:Doesn't the NES use some unique color palette? If the games were not designed to display in RGB then it should be no surprise if things look a little strange.
There isn't really a proper palette. It's just "hey, here's 12 angles around the color wheel of whichever TV you're plugged into".