List of recommended XBLIG shmups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Moniker

List of recommended XBLIG shmups

Post by Moniker »

Doesn't seem to be a thread that consolidates all the good shmups on XBLIG. So here I'll list all the ones I've played and give it a quick description & recommendation rating. *=recommended, **=highly recommended. Feel free to chime in with a recommendation/description. This list isn't meant to be exhaustive, but perhaps with a little help, it could be comprehensive. All shmups listed here are, in my opinion, worth a look at the very least. Links will send you to each game's xbox marketplace page.

A more comprehensive list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/shmups/l ... 8935840820

If you know of one that you think should be on the list, please give a shout out with your recommendation rating, and I'll update the OP!
Last edited by Moniker on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:15 am, edited 25 times in total.
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
stryc9

Re: List of recommended XBLIG shmups

Post by stryc9 »

Prismatic Solid
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Since Prismatic Solid got it's latest update back on 9/25/2010, it has the following upgrades:

* Storage option to save/load data.

* Information option brings up Score Board & Star Collection submenu options. Score board has Top 10 Ranking with Time & Date listed as well.

* 15 Locked Goals with 3 already unlocked at default settings.

Considering that the creator of the cult PSX game of iS: internal section had a hand in making that game's visuals is the same guy whom made PS as well. It'd sure be nice if a sequel to PS was made.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Considering that the creator of the cult PSX game of iS: internal section had a hand in making that game's visuals is the same guy whom made PS as well. It'd sure be nice if a sequel to PS was made.
Internal Section was fantastic so I'll definitely check Prismatic Solid out now eh?
Really really been enjoying Score Rush too :D
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Just tried prismatic solid. Very awesome. Up there with Score Rush & Shoot 1UP, imo. I do wonder why the description reads that it's a forced-rail shooter, though? That was why I'd passed it up until now.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Hello Moniker, Vampire Rage, Platypus, X Over, Lethal Judgement and Lethal Judgement Origins.
Gamertag: Alfred Saxon
Arcade: ENG
nZero

Post by nZero »

Best game: Hypership Out of Control
Best music: Vorpal
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Alfred wrote:Hello Moniker, Vampire Rage, Platypus, X Over, Lethal Judgement and Lethal Judgement Origins.
Added.

The only one I've tried is Platypus, which didn't exactly blow me away, but it's certainly worth checking out for the unique clay-mation aesthetic. I throw up descriptions once I try these others out. You're welcome to it as well, of course. :D

Thanks for the recs!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Great idea. You should add screenshots for each game, that's usually the best way to get an idea of what the game is like, and as far as I recall, screenshots are required for all XBLIG games on the marketplace, so they should be easily available on Xbox.com if you have a Live account that allows XBLIG titles.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Moniker wrote:- Vampire Rage (?)
If you can set aside the cheesy vampire theme, this one is decent. It's got bright pink happy bullets to offset the gothic stuff at least. It's widescreen verizontal, so it's a bit hard to hit stuff from way across the screen, but it also has a sword-based proximity attacks which helps hit stuff on the sides.

Since we're listing indie stuff, there's a Touhou boss rush clone called Call of the Underworld. I don't care for it, but you can definitely see the influences.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Sumez wrote:Great idea. You should add screenshots for each game, that's usually the best way to get an idea of what the game is like, and as far as I recall, screenshots are required for all XBLIG games on the marketplace, so they should be easily available on Xbox.com if you have a Live account that allows XBLIG titles.
Good notion. Once I can summon up the effort, I think I'll just link each game directly to its xbox.com page for easy purchasing. I don't think you need to be logged in to view them. That way you can send them directly to your d/l queue. Apparently it isn't terribly lucrative to make shmups for XBLIG, so hopefully this will drum up a little more business for developers. :wink:

Edit: Done.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Moniker wrote: The only one I've tried is Platypus, which didn't exactly blow me away, but it's certainly worth checking out for the unique clay-mation aesthetic
Yeah, the main things going for Platypus are it's look (which reminds me of Interplay's underrated SNES platformer Claymates) and it's soundtrack comprised of cool C64 remixes; but I enjoy it's simplicity, too. It's just nice to see a more basic style of game done well.

I don't know if I'd recommend it for a "best of" list; but I tried Xeno Waster tonight and was fairly impressed. It's a slow, lumbering memorizer in the vein of R-Type; but at least it's a one hitter and the upgrade system is pretty neat. Worth a shot at least I think. :)
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Rozyrg wrote:
Moniker wrote:I don't know if I'd recommend it for a "best of" list; but I tried Xeno Waster tonight and was fairly impressed. It's a slow, lumbering memorizer in the vein of R-Type; but at least it's a one hitter and the upgrade system is pretty neat. Worth a shot at least I think. :)
Agreed. I've been playing the demo myself for a while trying to decide whether to purchase. Just bought it. I can only find one combo of weapons worth using (spread, homing, sideshot), but I agree the upgrade system is pretty cool. Have you found success with any others? I can't help but smile at the level design. Definitely of a difficulty with R-Type.

On the list it goes!
Observer

Post by Observer »

There is this very recent XBLIG japanese shooter that was also released for free on the PC.

It's a pretty damn weird, brutal as hell, caravan hori. Quoting myself "it's what Yume Nikki would be if turned into a hori caravan STG". It's called WispLisp Array of List.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoVKKlfm9Jw

The site seems to be overloaded at the moment in case you wanted to retrieve the Windows version so you might as well check it at XBLIG. It's 80 points.

Things go like this: you mind your own business, flying slowly and raking up points, building up a "Red" counter. Once it reaches a certain quantity (50 IIRC), there is a reality switch and things become nightmarish. Patterns get ridiculously harder and harder and harder the better you score until you are just literally wiped out. The hitbox is huge too, watch out.

edit: The XBLIG page. Took me a while to get it loading, let alone find it...

http://marketplace.xbox.com/ja-JP/Produ ... 0258550915
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Just downloaded Shoot 1 Up, Prismatic Solid and Vorpal on the strength of this thread- I'll let you know how it goes :D
Observer

Post by Observer »

mjclark wrote:Just downloaded Shoot 1 Up, Prismatic Solid and Vorpal on the strength of this thread- I'll let you know how it goes :D
Hopefully fine and making you wish they could port them all to PC. :P
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Well porting an XNA game to PC should be extremely easy if you already got it to run well on X360.
Most likely, they already have a working PC version, for additional debugging purposes, video recording, etc.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

WispLisp is bizarre and awesome. Those bosses... :shock:

Here's the NA store link (also added in the OP): http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... 0258550915 My US xbox freaked out when I tried using the JP link, so look out for that.

So as far as mechanics go (the instructions are in moonspeak), do you get red (rank) & white (points) for killing things normally, and blue (time) for killing things with your focus attack? Often blue yields me (+0) time. I'm guessing the gains are based on something else?
I worked out that the amount of focus attack you're allotted is based on how many bullets are inside your b&w circle. Still not totally clear on how red points work. I didn't notice a sizeable rank increase; I think the highest I've gotten is 15ish.

edit: Just saw that your red point limit was 50 and not 5. Guess I need practice. :oops:

--

As for PC ports, I'm kind of surprised you don't see many (any?) either. I think the only xblig port I've heard of is Tobe's Vertical Adventure, but that may or may not be a different game than is on xbox. The radiangames I would think would be particularly suited for PC release... maybe it's a publisher problem? Xona games was/is trying to get on steam. I kind of doubt that there's any exclusivity agreement, but I know nothing.
Last edited by Moniker on Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Moniker wrote: I can only find one combo of weapons worth using (spread, homing, sideshot), but I agree the upgrade system is pretty cool. Have you found success with any others?
The Flame weapon is really good, too (it can take out bosses stupidly fast, for one thing) although it's control takes some getting used to. It'd be nice to be able to fling it around with ease like Simon's whip in Castlevania 4; but oh well. The bounce and sideshot are pretty much interchangeable for enclosed levels; but being able to shoot straight up and down is needed in a few spots, so sideshot is always a safer choice. The homing missiles are a must, though!

As for the others, the pods will supposedly block shots; but I've still been hit point blank with them going full tilt....hmm. I couldn't figure out the sonic wave the one time I tried it, too. *shrug*
Sined

Post by Sined »

Packito Lost in Space, an ecological shmup ! :D from the Dev. of Lethal Judgment series.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Sined wrote:Packito Lost in Space, an ecological shmup ! :D from the Dev. of Lethal Judgment series.
lol - the breakneck action of a shmup meets the full throttle thrill of sorting one's recycling. :mrgreen:
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Okay- Now I've played these a bit:
Shoot 1 Up is really really fantastic. It's got great graphics which are rather Salamanderesque and an excellent play mechanic too 9/10

Prismatic Solid is really really fantastic. It's got great "semi-abstract" graphics and a nice intricate play mechanic 8/10

Score Rush is really rather good. Nice and simple abstract all round. What it lacks in depth it makes up for in elegance 7/10

Vorpal is really just shit. Stupid, stupid boring and dull* on every level. Save your 80MSP to buy a decal in NFS or something instead -250,000/10

*Extra points for anyone who can name the British television comedy series which once featured a legal firm called Stupid,Stupid,Boring and Dull :D
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

what about Poopocalypse?
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Wow, it's like a modern Sky Kid! Except instead of bombing stuff, you're crappin. :mrgreen:

I also (fully) worked out the mechanics for WispLisp, I think. Really great game, btw.
-White powerups are points, red powerups are rank, and blue powerups (gained when using the focus shot) are like quickshot points. You get more value per blue powerup the faster you kill an enemy. Helps with your time in no way. But this is where you'll get the bulk of your score.
Killing bosses and midbosses give you +20 & +10 secs, respectively, and if your red counter is high enough, you'll get more than one of them at a time for extra time savings. I don't think the bullet patterns are any different if you get more than 1 boss at a time. You do with midbosses, though.
mjclark wrote:Okay- Now I've played these a bit:
Shoot 1 Up is really really fantastic. It's got great graphics which are rather Salamanderesque and an excellent play mechanic too 9/10

Prismatic Solid is really really fantastic. It's got great "semi-abstract" graphics and a nice intricate play mechanic 8/10

Score Rush is really rather good. Nice and simple abstract all round. What it lacks in depth it makes up for in elegance 7/10

Vorpal is really just shit. Stupid, stupid boring and dull* on every level. Save your 80MSP to buy a decal in NFS or something instead -250,000/10
Yup, I must say I agree with these assessments. Peeps do seem to like their Vorpal for some reason; can't say as I understand it. I like touhou fine but it just doesn't do anything for me. Although I'd rate Score Rush a bit better. Sure the music & graphics are a bit meh, but I don't think I've ever played a shooter that controls so fluidly. Like butter on a frying pan.

Anyway, I took a gander at the top rated & top downloaded shooters. A lot more of our boys are in there than was previously the case (or else it's my faulty memory and wishful thinking). Word up to Xona, Mommy's Best, radiangames & their bros!
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Interesting new title came out this week.

Chain Crusher

It's a hori where shots give you recoil that push you back to the left. Hitting the swirling lines (presumably the titular chain crusher) on the left side of the screen kills you. Shots cause enemies to explode, and you can rack up a chain reaction combo ala Every Extend. If the ships get past you, they get stuck in the crusher like misplaced tetris pieces. Running into these also kills you. The trial ends when you land a shot on the first boss.

Would be an instant buy at 80MSP, but it's 400MSP, so I haven't taken the plunge. Has anyone played further?
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Moniker wrote:Interesting new title came out this week.

Chain Crusher

It's a hori where shots give you recoil that push you back to the left. Hitting the swirling lines (presumably the titular chain crusher) on the left side of the screen kills you. Shots cause enemies to explode, and you can rack up a chain reaction combo ala Every Extend. If the ships get past you, they get stuck in the crusher like misplaced tetris pieces. Running into these also kills you. The trial ends when you land a shot on the first boss.

Would be an instant buy at 80MSP, but it's 400MSP, so I haven't taken the plunge. Has anyone played further?
Just noticed Chain Crusher but the demo was so rubbish that I didn't bother going any further- it seemed to play more like a puzzle game.

Got the full version of Revolver360 however and it is excellent. And did anyone pick up that a demo of Revolver360 for PC was released at Comiket 80?
I like the way that a lot of these games mix elements from arena shooters with scrollers and put the emphasis on survival.

Also there's a PC version of Leave Home which is a lot of fun and again all about survival. Guess this is the natural progression of those Caravan games that we love so much :D
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Why are people so against puzzle games here?
I think the idea of the game sounds pretty interesting, but if it isn't well executed, it's pointless anyway.
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Sumez wrote:Why are people so against puzzle games here?
I think the idea of the game sounds pretty interesting, but if it isn't well executed, it's pointless anyway.
Cos this is Shmups Forum. I'm sure there's a Puzzles Forum where all that stuff is really popular eh?
I've got nothing against puzzle games but not in shmups gameplay- this is Udderdude's famous observation on Ikaruga is it not?
Try the demo of that there Chain Crusher but really it did just feel like underpowered pants to me :D

Also now got Revolver360 and Leave Home:
Revolver360 looks good and is really fun to play casually. Once you've got over the simplistic mechanics and the life bar it's very enjoyable. The whole revolving thang works well and it's all nicely presented with online score tables 7/10

Leave Home is just greeeaaatt! 5-minute score attack with heavy dynamic rank mechanic.
21st Century Caravan! Rock on! 9/10
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

So if you dig one genre, everything else is automatically shit?
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Sumez wrote:So if you dig one genre, everything else is automatically shit?
Lol- you just want another argument don't you? :D

I guess we need to hear from someone who's actually splashed 400MSP for the full Chain Crusher to confirm it's inherent rubbishness...