RQ: Psyvariar Revision leveling

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Bananamatic

RQ: Psyvariar Revision leveling

Post by Bananamatic »

I'd just like to hit level 218 and eventually ALL it through X-D.

This was my last run with ending levels:

1 Earth - 25
2-C Valley - 58
X-A Photon - 82
3-B Cloudbank - 111
4-C Colony - 156
X-B Graviton - 176
X-C Weakboson - 200

I did try Volcano for 2 and City for 3, but I can't get anything decent out of these.
For boss milking, I only do Photon for 10 levels or so(using either a bomb or two) and first form of the colony boss laser milking.

How should I approach the X stages? Kill everything or bother with buzzing? Should I switch over to Volcano and City?(seeing how bosses with more HP=more exp by shooting)

Pretty much no progression in the past 6 hours, looked for replays but all I found are stick shaking superplays(I'm playing the PS2 version)

Any other tips?
Weak Boson

Re: RQ: Psyvariar Revision leveling

Post by Weak Boson »

I don't know much about how the city compares to the cloudbank but I would definitely recommend practising the volcano stage. I usually get something approaching 50 level ups in that stage, and that's with no boss milking.

Speaking of which you don't really need to do any boss milking to reach the basic requirement for X-D, except maybe on Photon - I usually just help myself to its second attack, trigger the second phase and wait for the final attack - but it sounds like you're doing something like that anyway. You'll want to be saving as many bombs as possible for Gluon but we can jump of that bridge when we get to it.

The way I see it is that you should be aiming to get 40-50 levels in each of the volcano, city and colony stages. Milking aside you should be able to get about 20 levels in the X stages just by shooting - if you're not thinking about score there’s not much to gain from obsessing over every bit of buzz. All of that plus the first stage should add up to give you enough levels to reach X-D.

Stick shaking superplays are still useful; remember you can increase the speed of your ship by tapping the roll button.

I've been trying to reach X-D myself. I know I can reach the level requirement but it's just a matter of piecing it all together and avoiding stupid deaths. For the record my best run is:

1 Earth - 30
2-D Volcano - 77
X-A Photon - 99
3-C City - 142
X-B Graviton - 163
4-C Colony - 208
X-C Weakboson – 220
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Last run:
1 Earth - 26
2-D Volcano - 64
X-A Photon - 85
3-B Cloudbank - 119
X-B Graviton - 140
4-C Colony - 189
X-C Weakboson - 210

Volcano is somewhat better than Valley, while I can't get anything decent out of City.

Missed first phase of the Colony milkbot and Photon went down too early...also missed some stuff on Graviton thanks to lower power compared to getting it after Colony.

How do you get 30 out of Earth anyways?
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Try not to leave any enemies alive after they've shot at you. Watching this video helped me, it shows tome tactics I wouldn't have thought of.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Got to Gluon on one credit now.

Also, how do you get extra bombs? 3 default+1 per ship power up? Or are there any others?
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Damn, contratulations on reaching Gluon. It sounds like you'll get that X-D clear a lot sooner than me. I've always assume the only extra bombs you get are the ones from changing form. That'd make it a maximum of 9 which sounds about right.

EDIT: It seems you get an extra bomb if you complete a stage with 100% destrcution rate.