RQ: Raiden Fighters FAQ

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
D

RQ: Raiden Fighters FAQ

Post by D »

Found some info on Raiden Fighters Emporium, but I'd like one of those full blown strategy faqs, with rank, etc. discussed.

Any other source for rank/info/strategy on this game?

EDIT {20-09-2005}
I found this out:
dying causes the game to drop rank.

Is the rank just the difficulty settings.

Like I have it on narmal, then I die twice and have no players in stock the enemy bullets travel really slow, is the game set on easy difficulty now?
And then when you shoot everything it goes to normal and you shoot kill collect more it becomes harder like on hard?

I wish the original programmers would just give us the numbers of how games work with rank.
Who knows any Seibu programmer personally?
...............That's what I thought.
D

Post by D »

B.U.M.P.

I found that in general all the fighters have BIG hit detection boxes.

Nevertheless all planes are good to use except for the fastest (Viper Phase) and the slowest one.

What a great game. 1996.

Anybody even remotely interested in discusing tips?
I can almost get to the forth level

*hard*
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

D, I can't get too specific on strategies for RF1 since I'm only playing RF2 at the moment but I think that walkthrough at Raiden Fighters Emporium should give you plenty of info as far as gathering the secret bonuses.

My advice would be just focus on survival and clearing the game on one coin first and then work in more difficult point scoring techniques as you get more comfortable.

Your main scoring will come from collecting the medals so try to get them up to the max value as soon as possible during level one. Don't write off the Judge Spear (Viper Phase ship). Its world record score is the highest of any ship in the game, even the slave. I would guess that the slave would be the easiest to clear the game with due it being the only ship with an absolutely tiny hit box.

And don't forget to use the stage select trick to stick to the best stage order. The random stage thing will throw you off and you want the forest stage first to get the medal values maxed.
D

Post by D »

Rastan78 wrote:D, I can't get too specific on strategies for RF1 since I'm only playing RF2 at the moment but I think that walkthrough at Raiden Fighters Emporium should give you plenty of info as far as gathering the secret bonuses.

My advice would be just focus on survival and clearing the game on one coin first and then work in more difficult point scoring techniques as you get more comfortable.

Your main scoring will come from collecting the medals so try to get them up to the max value as soon as possible during level one. Don't write off the Judge Spear (Viper Phase ship). Its world record score is the highest of any ship in the game, even the slave. I would guess that the slave would be the easiest to clear the game with due it being the only ship with an absolutely tiny hit box.

And don't forget to use the stage select trick to stick to the best stage order. The random stage thing will throw you off and you want the forest stage first to get the medal values maxed.
Clearing the game?
Are you maddd? (Elaine from Seinfeld)

I can't even get to level 4. I will in a couple of days I assume.
I was talking about survival tactics.
Score is not yet interesting since you get extra live after 10 mil score.
I'm just over 1 mil.

Can I get an extra live before the end of level 3?
O sorry I forgot you have RF2.
OK, I guess I just have to keep practicing and not bother the entire board about it. Sorry.
OVER and OUT.

I don't play with the slave, its like cheating, too great firepower and for some reason the rank stays low with slaves.
And offcourse hit detection
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

10 million can be done by level 3 but as far as I know there are no extends rewarded at any time. I'm only familiar with the Japan region PCB on default settings but you get 3 lives and that's it.

I think the best survival tactic starting out on these games is bomb, bomb and then bomb again. They are plentiful especially if you unlock a bunch of fairies. There's no shame in using your bombs in difficult situations and on bosses. Also, it doesn't hurt to pick a favorite ship and then focus on that one only.

That's cool if you want to resist the urge to use the slave, but I wouldn't really consider it cheating. For survival it's going to be easier than the others but as far as score goes in this game a slave ship score can only be compared to other slave ship player scores so the playing field is still level there.
Clearing the game?
Are you maddd? (Elaine from Seinfeld)
Stick with it over time and you might surprise yourself. Don't just move on to a different game. That's the really hard part. :wink:
racecar

Post by racecar »

..try not to used bomb's......after achiving that..move to the the 1coin
dealed with
SFkoa
remus
acidking
undamned
J-Manic
Koa zo
hermosaguy
I'm Alec
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

racecar wrote:..try not to used bomb's......after achiving that..move to the the 1coin
That's wrong. Using bombs is important for scoring. Since you're given them in abundance, I suggest using them as often as you need to. The bonus for surplus bombs is tiny compared to the amount of points they can give you for aiding Destroyed At A Time and Quick Shot bonuses.

And Rastan78 is correct, you do not get Extends from score. You get three lives - one active, two stocked - and that's your lot for the whole game.
D

Post by D »

No extra lives WTF?

Anyway I got to the boss of the fifth level with a slave.
*how about a tap on the back*
I'm having trouble with selecting the slave though.
Pressing up or down and then 1,2 and start at the same time.
Really difficult, works occasionally.
Any tips for selecting it,

Thanks for the tips and I will keep at it.
Can somebody confirm that using the slave doesn't make rank go up as much apposed to the other ships.

hit detection boxes of normal ships are ridiculous.

I will try to collect as many bombs as possible, this should help my progress!

thanks again. :D

EDIT: yesterday I got to level 4 without dying and I even had a bomb to spare.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Anyone have anything to say about rank? Supposedly picking up options and powering up increases it?
D

Post by D »

Damocles wrote:Anyone have anything to say about rank? Supposedly picking up options and powering up increases it?
BUMP

And what about that insanity DVD. Are there any tips anyone can translate.

And for you Damocles, the slaves seem to not trigger rank that much.
Could be because you can't use the charge shot and that I use the charge shot alot with the normal fighters...?

Anyway, great to see there's still some interest in this title.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

D, there is a video floating around online where the same player from the DVD actually plays a slightly higher score than on the DVD I think. Maybe if Icarus has it you could ask him to post it on his bittorrent tracker or something. It is done with the Judge Spear BTW.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I actually just found a video last night on my hard drive which I think I downloaded off of ftp.scoreattack.com when it was around. I think it was someone from here who made it, and does a good job of showing how to get the 100K medals by 1-2 and all the fairies and miculi.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

does anyone understand the medals on this. sometimes they go down for seemingly no reason, and when you start another level they tend to go down by about 90% i.e. end of level 2 im up to 9000 point medals start of level 3 they back down to 900 or even 90? i thought they worked the same as the gold medals in rfj in terms of how they increase in value but im not sure.

any help anyone?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

In all Raiden Fighters games, you have base Medals and you have secret Gold Medals. The base Medals in RF1 and RF2 are affected by the amount of Slaves you have - up to 90pts for no Slaves, 900pts for one Slave, 10,000pts for two Slaves - and the base Medals are the key to unlocking MAX Medals Mode.

To unload MAX Medals, you need to get the up to the maximum value for each set - 80pts, 800pts and 10,000pts - and then get 9 of the 10,000pt Medals on screen at once. When you do, they'll explode, signalling you can now increase the Medals value from 10,000pts to 100,000pts.

You should be able to get them activated on the first stage. Alluro's site http://rf-emporium.net has details of how to trigger them. I can provide a replay if required. (Been a while since I've played RF1 though, since I sold my set to D a few months ago ^_-)
unsane

Post by unsane »

D wrote:I'm having trouble with selecting the slave though.
Pressing up or down and then 1,2 and start at the same time.
Really difficult, works occasionally.
Any tips for selecting it,

Tell me about it, what a huge pain in the ass. I've only managed to select the slave once out of about 20 attempts. :(

I'm going to try over and over and make a save state when i succeed. :P Maybe even a save state for each slave ship if i get ambitious... Can zip it/them up if anyone wants. I'll even hold Down when pressing start for the favoured stage order. ;)
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

Well, rf emporium looks like a website about rf cable, now. Is there anywhere else I can look for info about this one?
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

I can NOT figure out how the fuck to get 10,000 point medals in the first stage for the LIFE of me. I am so frustrated right now. In that big clusterfuck of tanks/planes right before the big plane that gives you the Miclus, I cant figure out a pattern to collect the medals in order without dying.
Aru-san

Post by Aru-san »

Thank freakin' goodness the RF Emporium is archived.

In the RF Emporium, I think Alluro has a strategy section on how to efficiently get all the medals maxed out (and a way to get to 100K medals from level 1 as well).

Also, as someone mentioned here before, I think it would be best to play for survival first and then go for the difficult scoring strategies when you feel comfortable with your game.
[ Wonder Force IV -sorry Frenetic :c- ]
tinotormed

Re: RQ: Raiden Fighters FAQ

Post by tinotormed »

How do I manage to get the Slave? I know, select any ship, hold a direction, and A+B+1P/2P Start, but it's too tricky.
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
Psikyo_Ball

Post by Psikyo_Ball »

Anyone have a good replay with ixion on Raiden fighter jet?. I play for a bit on RF2 but i cant found my ship.
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Psikyo_Ball wrote:Anyone have a good replay with ixion on Raiden fighter jet?
Here are two good Ixion runs:

162,075,740 by shtycw79
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

132,429,658 by alamone
Part 1
Part 2
tinotormed wrote:How do I manage to get the Slave? I know, select any ship, hold a direction, and A+B+1P/2P Start, but it's too tricky.
If you're having trouble, you could map all of the relevant buttons to a single key just for the purpose of slave selection.
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

saucykobold wrote:
If you're having trouble, you could map all of the relevant buttons to a single key just for the purpose of slave selection.
Already tried it, but unfortunately, it dosen't work on me. I am playing on MAME btw.
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

tinotormed wrote:Already tried it, but unfortunately, it dosen't work on me. I am playing on MAME btw.
If your ship select screen doesn't show the Raiden mk-II or Judge Spear, then you need to highlight the Chaser, hold down, and then press start, shot, and bomb at the same time. If the two hidden ships are available, then you can highlight any ship, hold up or down, and press start + shot + bomb.

These methods are working fine on my end, but if you're still not having any luck, I suppose you could access the slave via a cheat file.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

If you're using ShmupMAME/MAME Plus! 0.99 I'd advise trying a custom button that does what saucykobold said. Trying to do it manually myself even in ShmupMAME is nigh on impossible for me so that's what I'm going to do.

EDIT: Worked for me. I do a first custom button for autofire of main shot, and a second custom button for having bomb/shoot at same time. From there you can press whatever you pick for custom button 2, hold a direction down and START at the same time and it should work.

For the record, my keyboard control scheme is as follows for Raiden Fighters games:
Z - Button 1/Fire
X - Button 2/Bomb
C - Custom Button 1 (button 1) [autofire on]
V - Custom Button 2 (button 1 & 2) [autofire off]
The rest is MAME defaults. I highly recommend Shmupmame for playing the Raiden Fighters games for the purpose of having these custom buttons but also because the game is completely lagless.