HDMI to Composite converter

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Aliquantic

HDMI to Composite converter

Post by Aliquantic »

My current setup is a Xbox 360 plugged in on a big HDMI TV and using a cheap SD composite/component recorder, and I've been trying to record it live while still playing in HDMI (SD on that TV is horrendous and I cannot get a new TV right now).

So I've been thinking I could use a HDMI to composite converter on a HDMI splitter, and there are some available for around $50, but I'm not sure if that will actually work in practice and be of sufficient quality (aka Youtube/streaming quality, so nothing too grandiose (this is the sort of results I currently get). Any thoughts on whether it will be satisfactory? Thanks, I'm clueless when it comes down to video and hardware :|
StarCreator

Re: HDMI to Composite converter

Post by StarCreator »

I think a better use of your money would be investing in HDMI capture hardware. If you have a PCIe 1x or larger slot free, the AverMedia AverTV regularly gets marked down to around $85.99 on Amazon.
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

I would consider it if my computer wasn't an old laptop without much hope of doing HD recording, or anything other than PCI-E slots, but thanks for the tip :)
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Minor thread hijack

I use my 360 through VGA onto my CRT monitor what do I need to capture video and sound exactly from VGA?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You can either use a transcoder to convert from VGA to 480p YUV, which you can capture using an Hauppauge box, a BMD Intensity or an Avermedia box, or you can use a scan converter to convert from VGA to 480i component which you can capture which almost any capture device.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Aliquantic wrote:I would consider it if my computer wasn't an old laptop without much hope of doing HD recording, or anything other than PCI-E slots, but thanks for the tip :)
If your laptop isn't that old, You can do a Hauppauge HD DVR, or a Avermedia HD DVR in their USB 2.0 form factors, You won't be able to stream with that setup, but you'll be able to do HD recording fine, because those devices do Hardware H.264.
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

Streaming is a requirement, though, and those are out of my price range anyway for a simple recording setup :) I'm well aware that those do exist and know they aren't suitable for me right now.