Mini shmup idea, odd control system...Opinions?

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
ForteMP3

Mini shmup idea, odd control system...Opinions?

Post by ForteMP3 »

First off, this is going to be a potential side project to Cavadius, but it would be a VERY simple shmup designed to test a unique control/gameplay system I came up with. Currently, it has no title, but I'd like to name it something with -Gunner at the end of the title...Here's why.

First off, this shmup would be designed based on a PC's typical means of input...Keyboard and mouse. No joystick/gamepad, the reason why is what the controls would actually be:

WASD and Arrow Keys-Move ship

Mouse-Aim targetting reticle

Left Mouse-Fire Main Shot (Sub Shot will also be fired if reticle is locked onto an enemy)

Right Mouse-Fire Special Shot (Bombs, Lasers, Etc)

Basically, the idea would be that you're in a typical vertical shmup setup, possibly with a normal screen ratio (instead of typical vert ratios) but you would use the mouse to aim and shoot, while the keyboard would be used for movement.

The basic idea behind aiming is simple:Shots are fired towards the crosshair. The reason for the use of the crosshair is twofold, one, to test this keyboard+mouse shmup system, two, because you can fire additional lock on attacks (Sub Shot) by positioning the crosshair over an enemy, locking onto them. The crosshair would also be used to determine the location of things like bomb attacks and soforth.

Anyway, I know the idea sounds crazy as all get out, but what do you guys think. Would a vertical shmup with a keyboard+mouse setup be an interesting thing to see?
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Well, I'd like to see it attempted. I think the idea has potential, certainly, though it would take some getting used to.
TGK

Post by TGK »

I also think that it is an interesting idea. Worth at least prototyping to see if it works.
This causes to me a sensation of badness. - Stormwatch
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

It sounds a little like Twin Stick mode in Gunroar and a lot like Gophn in Radio Zonde. I could see it being fun.
"Can they really get inside my head?"
"As long as you keep an open mind."
magnum opus

Post by magnum opus »

http://www.pteroglider.codeminion.com/buy.php

kinda beat you too it.
but if you wanted to make one that was you know, good, that'd be cool.
mrMagenta

Post by mrMagenta »

nevermind if it is made before. most things are.. i liked it in Abuse and a bunch of top down shoot all aliens games. it could work well for a vert shmup too, prolly needs to strike a good balance between enemy ship speed and mouse sensitivity, but i see no real problem there. and i like the sub-shot idea. i say, go for it! take a look at petroglider and see what you can do differently.

i would have liked a similar contol-setup in gunroar... two analogue joysticks are hard to come by..
Blue

Post by Blue »

As mrMagenta said, Abuse is a good example of this sort of control scheme. It's a free-scrolling sidescroller, not a flying shmup, but maybe it's relevant to what you're working on.

You can download Abuse from the authors site (free):
http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~scot4875/
Abuse has a nice atmosphere and some very esthetically satisfying weapons as well.
mrMagenta

Post by mrMagenta »

if you haven't seen it allready. check out mono. it does the same thing but opposite, shooting direction by keyes and moving by mouse. i thought it was wonky at first, but it grows on me, and the game is quite inspiring.

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=5119

anyway, break a leg, and make sure we get to test it when it's ready for testing :-)
DeBurgo

Post by DeBurgo »

I had this idea a while ago, but I personally scrapped it because I felt it would give a little TOO much control over to the player, and thus feel less immerssive/"cool".

However, I think it still might be feasable if you attatch it to a scoring system/meter of some sorts where you can only use it for a set amount of time (killing enemies/doing chains refills the meter), then attatch THAT to some sort of crazy combo system like the one for the charge shot in Zanac Neo.

Then you could design various situations and enemy patterns to take advantage of this.