Chaos Field on GC to be released in US

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Metal Gear Okt

Post by Metal Gear Okt »

Oh, I have the DC version too. Buzzing on the DC pad kills my thumb.
jiji

Post by jiji »

Here's a neat (rough draft) interview with Steven Hosey of O~3 that talks about the US release of Chaos Field:
http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bb ... 1012.shtml#
Steven Hosey: “We also have Chaos Field (GCN exclusive), which is a rail-shooter that people are pretty familiar with. This is the latest version. It’s not the Dreamcast port. It’s a brand new title. We have that coming out in September and a couple of things we can’t yet talk about for the new platforms.”

Originally appearing on the Dreamcast in December 2004 (Japan only). This vertical-scrolling single-player shooter is developed by Milestone, and was ported and released on the GCN in February 2005 in Japan. The GameCube port, Chaos Field Expended, added a high-score saving feature as well as an all-new Original Mode. For the U.S. release O~3 Entertainment will be using a brand-new cover art.

In Chaos Field, players will have two-fields to play in called “Order” and “Chaos” respectively. “Order Field” is essentially the normal mode of play, but players will be able to switch between Order and Chaos at anytime. In “Chaos Field” a red-tint fills the screen and the enemies shower you with infinitely many bullets. There is an incentive to switch to Chaos Field though as players will deal more damage to enemies in the “Chaos Field.” Players will also be able to use a sword weapon to clear most types bullets and hurt enemies, although you cannot shoot and slash at the same time. This will only be the Nintendo Gamecube’s 2nd (Xevious in Star Fox Assault does not count) vertical-scrolling shooter-type game that’s released in North America (Ikaruga being the first).

AMN: “How much will Chaos Field retail for?”

Steven Hosey: “We’re not sure right now because we’re still working out the contract, but I know it’ll be no higher than $29.99.”

AMN: “Will there be any new additions to the U.S. release?”

Steven Hosey: “It’ll be fully localized in English. I believe they are tying to work on a couple more levels, but I’m not sure they will be able to make it in because we know that the team is also moving on to new projects. We’re still trying to find that out for Japan”.
FRO

Post by FRO »

neojma wrote:2. If you really want to support shmups, buy Japanese. The few thousand US sales of a budget port aren't going to convince Japanese game makers to create more shmups. What is? Japanese sales. That's all they look at.
Japanese game companies are going to continue to produce shmups because they know there's an audience for it. If a number of GC owners in the US buy Chaos Field when it's released (I plan to), it shows American companies that localize those games that there is still a market for it. That's what is important. Just because Chaos Field may not be as high quality as SNS2 or some other newer shmup doesn't mean we don't want a US release. Even if only the shmup faithful purchase the game, it still shows a market enough for some companies (like XS, Working Designs, etc) to release games once in a while to at least ATTEMPT to keep shmup fans happy and keep the genre alive in the West.
Rob

Post by Rob »

FatCobra wrote:Would you consider Pyskio games as boss rush games. I mean, you blow up only a few tanks and planes and BOOM! Big bad Boss shows up!
I wouldn't, no. Boss rush means a series of bosses, without the level portions it'd be five minutes.
postman

Post by postman »

I just spoke with O~3, and the game is on schedule for a September release.........

Preorders should start "soon".........keep watching....
Don't just dodge bullets, dance around them.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Awesome, glad to hear this is still on track. Thanks, Rog. Here's hoping we at least get decent box art (no quotes from IGN or any website on the cover for the love of all that is good...). And this will rock even more with my hori pad. 8)
icepick

Post by icepick »

Ì second that! :D

(Well, about the thanks and the "back on track" at least!)

I had some thoughts typed out, but I'm much to sleepy for it to have made much sense, and I'd rather simply voice appeal now and try to convey ideas later. Hee. Zzz.
\\ /\/\ \
ThirdStrike
Banned User

Post by ThirdStrike »

FRO wrote:
neojma wrote:2. If you really want to support shmups, buy Japanese. The few thousand US sales of a budget port aren't going to convince Japanese game makers to create more shmups. What is? Japanese sales. That's all they look at.
Japanese game companies are going to continue to produce shmups because they know there's an audience for it. If a number of GC owners in the US buy Chaos Field when it's released (I plan to), it shows American companies that localize those games that there is still a market for it. That's what is important. Just because Chaos Field may not be as high quality as SNS2 or some other newer shmup doesn't mean we don't want a US release. Even if only the shmup faithful purchase the game, it still shows a market enough for some companies (like XS, Working Designs, etc) to release games once in a while to at least ATTEMPT to keep shmup fans happy and keep the genre alive in the West.
The shmup market is alive and well in the west. In the past 3 years we have at least received one major title per year. In some cases these games sold better in the US and were seemingly aimed towards US buyers like Gradius V which debusted at E3 awhile back.

Ikaruga GC
R Type Final PS2
Gradius V PS2
Castle Shikigami 2 PS2
Chaos Field GC
SHAQ FU!
TGK

Post by TGK »

icepick wrote:I like how people use intelligent reasoning to keep themselves from enjoying games. 8)

well said.

The first time I came to this forum Icepick surprised me (pleasantly) with a post that temporarily shut off the flaming derailment of the "Article about G. Rev, Milestone, and Triangle Service" thread.

And now this funny comment. Good work.
This causes to me a sensation of badness. - Stormwatch
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

postman wrote:I just spoke with O~3, and the game is on schedule for a September release.........

Preorders should start "soon".........keep watching....
I was beginning to wonder whether this one would fall through the cracks, as Nintendo Power has yet to mention it (at least in the issues I've looked at).
al138

Post by al138 »

I wonder when O3 will put something about the game on its website? I just looked and nothing news-related has been posted since the end of June.

I can't wait!
Bought from (via Paypal):
Alien Soldier, Bleem, CMoon, russ, thewestexit
jiji

Post by jiji »

This link was posted in a now-locked thread:

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action ... 31042.html

So, it'll be out for a "holiday" release instead of the August release they had projected.