Ikaruga Model!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Ikaruga Model!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Here's a cool Youtube vid of someone putting together a Kotobukiya Ikaruga model kit complete with painting it as well (even has the cool Ikaruga theme BGM playing in the background). It isn't my YT vid anyways. The modeller even lists what type of hobby paints he used. Not to mention how articulated the fightercraft really is. Even hints at the option of having the inside wing flaps being raised (or not) that isn't mentioned in the instruction manual either. Color me impressed with Kotobukiya's overall presentation/craftmanship of it once it's finished. I like the inside joke of using "dirty water" for some of the parts when he paints them for that extra detailing/realism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcsGnJVTvQI

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
greg

Post by greg »

Wow, great video! I was confused with the "dirty water" comments myself, but his posts below describe it as a mixture of black/grey paint and thinner/water.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

New Raystorm kit now:

http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=english& ... splay.html

Im convinced that Kotobukiya are just producing the Spectres13/b kits - in which case, I hope we get a nice plastic R-9.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
greg

Post by greg »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:New Raystorm kit now:
:shock: Holy crap, I want this more than the Ikaruga model!
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
PC Engine Fan X!

It seems like Kotobukiya's on a roll with producing both white & black Ikaruga fightercrafts and now this, a new Raystorm 1/144th scale plastic model kit (slated for a December 2011 release)? Wow, it's a great year to pick up all of these finely produced shmup model kits for the 2011 season indeed. I think Kotobukiya's got some more shmup related model kits up their sleeves...just what they might be though, I wonder.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
greg

Post by greg »

It doesn't look like any decals are necessary for the Layer Section ship, so a nice 2P color scheme paint job could be very possible too!

I too hope that an R-9 ship will be on its way.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Insane amount of panel lining on the Raystorm ship. Could be quite fiddly.
greg

Post by greg »

bcass wrote:Insane amount of panel lining on the Raystorm ship. Could be quite fiddly.
Not really. After putting on a gloss clear coat, use the lighter fluid and flat enamel paint trick. What you do is dilute the flat black (or whatever color preference) enamel paint with something like Zippo lighter fluid, dip a brush in it, and touch the brush to the panel lines. If it's at the right consistency, the panel lines basically fill themselves in. After a few minutes, just wipe away the excess with a paper towel or cotton swab dipped in the lighter fluid.
bcass

Post by bcass »

I wasn't aware of that trick. I've done loads of panel lining and it takes f*cking ages to do, especially on larger models.
greg

Post by greg »

Yeah, you could use the GM01 fine point Gundam marker, but I find that this can be cumbersome on larger projects.

While wiping away the excess with the lighter fluid, it doesn't attack the paint underneath at all and looks nice.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Pics coming back from Wonder Festival suggest that Plum (makers of recent Darius Burst and Silpheed kits) will be doing the R-9.
PC Engine Fan X!

The upcoming Kotobukiya produced Raystorm R-Gray 1 variant model kit is up for pre-ordering from NCSX site:

http://www.shopncsx.com/raystorm.aspx

Mentions a January 2012 release for said model kit.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
greg

Post by greg »

But the Amiami.jp site that Sly Cherry Chunks linked to has it for a much better price. Do they charge ridiculous shipping rates from Japan or something?
PC Engine Fan X!

Yes, NCSX has to pay for S&H for all items from Japan and then charge a bit more if you want item(s) shipped via UPS, FedEx or USPS shipping methods. Just shipping via UPS Ground is a minimum of $17.38 and that's the cheapest shipping method listed (but it's insured and trackable, of course).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Gmintyfresh

Post by Gmintyfresh »

A few pictures of the new black polarity Ikaruga model kit that arrived on Monday from Japan:

Quite a few more photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53666013@N ... 330769019/
Sly Cherry Chunks

Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

Chicken chunks??

I will get this and promptly ruin it :?
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

After I make a MG Hyaku-Shiki 1/100 and an RX 78-2 for my son, Imma get me the Ikaruga model and a Vic Viper of some description I think :)
PC Engine Fan X!

That's cool to learn of a new Ikaruga variant model kit from Kotobukiya. Makes me wonder if any of the Ikaruga end stage bosses will get the 1/144th scale plastic model kit treatment as well? Would certainly make for a cool Ikaruga "showdown" diorama set nevetheless. Or could go the garage kit route, albeit more expensive.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
EllertMichael

Post by EllertMichael »

Necro bump..

Just saw the Ikaruga & RayStorm models are both 50% off at Entertainment Earth right now:

Ikaruga Link

RayStorm Link