MAME Video Options Help

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mjclark
Banned User

MAME Video Options Help

Post by mjclark »

I can't use D3D on one of my MAME setups cos of driver conflicts (actually that's a guess, but the system restarts on launching with d3d!) so I'm left with the choice of DirectDraw, GDI and "none" in videomode options.
What are the advantages of each choice and which one's going to give the best performance?
BPzeBanshee

Re: MAME Video Options Help

Post by BPzeBanshee »

None is none.
GDI - I'm amazed that even works, it just crashes for me most of the time and is generally poor.
DirectDraw is the best way to go if you can get it - it runs well and is the best for performance for some but people complain about how "blurry" it is. Personally I love the filtering effect when in fullscreen, it's not too blurry and not so insignificant everything's a pixelated mess either. Batrider looks particularly good with DirectDraw IMO.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

BPzeBanshee wrote:None is none.
DirectDraw is the best way to go if you can get it - it runs well and is the best for performance for some but people complain about how "blurry" it is.
That's just the bilinear filtering no? ... turn it off and get resolution to match your screen res and all should be sharpness.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

You know, if I hadn't checked, I would have said I was using DirectDraw, but I'm actually using D3D w/o filtering.

I just tried both, and for some reason DirectDraw doesn't scale properly -- D3D scales to my full screen res, and the colours looks a little better to me.

This is with all other options remaining the same -- there might be a way to get DirectDraw working better, I haven't fiddled with it much.

I'm using MAMEUI32 0.143u1 primarily -- I played with ShmupMAME v3.0 for a bit but the options are completely different, and I think it used to crash with D3D enabled ...
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

I'm using latest MAMEUI too but there's lots of issues between my AGP GeForce and my PCI Soundblaster so D3D causes trouble.
Doesn't sound like I'm missing out too much with DirectDraw though.
What actually is GDI then?
nZero

Post by nZero »

mjclark wrote:my AGP GeForce and my PCI Soundblaster
:(
mjclark wrote:What actually is GDI then?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Device_Interface
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

gray117 wrote:
BPzeBanshee wrote:None is none.
DirectDraw is the best way to go if you can get it - it runs well and is the best for performance for some but people complain about how "blurry" it is.
That's just the bilinear filtering no? ... turn it off and get resolution to match your screen res and all should be sharpness.
It probably is.

I don't change the settings myself though, I like the way it is. Others complain cause it's "OMG BLURRY TROLOLOL" but not me. :P