RQ: Pink Sweets Extends

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Deca

RQ: Pink Sweets Extends

Post by Deca »

I've read the guides and still can't figure out how you're supposed to get extends in this game. Having no source of extends whatsoever is making it somewhat difficult for me to approach a Yagawa game...I'd like to get more into it so if anyone could shed some light on the topic I'd greatly appreciate it!
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
CStarFlare

Re: RQ: Pink Sweets Extends

Post by CStarFlare »

Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

What's wrong with Plasmo's guide here, part 4.2 specifically? There are a few fixed extends in the game and a couple more random ones based on you destroying certain bullets, the details of which can be a little bit confusing at first, but you'll get used to it.

Or try watching a replay from the leaderboards if it still doesn't really make sense, and notice how the players "milk" destructible bullets at times... and I just got ninja'd :)
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

From what I recall, there is an invisible counter that goes up when you kill enemies/type 3 bullets with shot, and down when killing with the rose cracker. When it hits a certain amount you get the 1up.

I think the strat would be to milk type 3 bullets and to not use the cracker.

Hope that helps and was at least semi-correct
Deca

Post by Deca »

I guess I just need to watch more replays and play more. I've tried milking bullets and such but have never had luck producing a 1up as of yet.

I'm starting to feel like my issue with this game is that I'm assuming its more complicated than it actually is.
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

You should not expect to get your first 1-up before stage 3 yes (the fixed one on the tank), and it will take some milking to get the first "random" one on stage 3 too. The best spot to milk bullets is the stage 1 midboss by the way, it's full of yummy bullets and pretty much risk-free.

The game isn't very complicated no, but it can get pretty hard :)
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

If you're hardcore milking you get the first 1-UP late stage 2/early stage 3. Usually you get the first 1-UP late stage 4/early stage 5.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

I wouldn't really call just milking the stage 1 midboss (and stage 1 boss) hardcore though, I can do it consistently and safely with my meager skills :) And it's sufficient for a late stage 3 extend with Lace in 1.01... do you find you need to do more to get the extend before stage 4? I wonder if things might not be different in 1.00 even though it's not "supposed" to be one of the changes.

Or you could do the Shasta thing instead: Sapz can get an extend before the stage 3 midboss with her, and another one right after the midboss due to heavy-handed milking of Scrambled Egg thanks to the invulnerable laser :P
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

If you milk stage 1 midboss and boss you sould always get the first extend in stage 3. If you're doing no milking at all you have to wait for stage 4/5. There are no differences between 1.00 and 1.01 I think.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube