RQ: dodonpachi Saturn mode questions

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
captain ahar

RQ: dodonpachi Saturn mode questions

Post by captain ahar »

is this mode any different than arcade, besides mission zero? i played it a bit last night and managed my highest DDP score yet, but can't enter it as no high-score thread exists. the only reason i didn't just "create" one is, i don't understand the differences between arcade and saturn (redundancy, yay!).

for reference it was

captain ahar - 18,158,360 - area 4 - type C-L - max hit 226

i really hope it isn't easier or something, because pride can be a good thing... :)
Last edited by captain ahar on Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no sig whatsoever.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Its easier than the arcade version. :P
Less bullets and enemies etc and no second round.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

fuck atlus then man! my accomplishment is dirt! i need to go beat myself about the skull now... :(

edit: or better yet, i'll walk the plank. arr.
I have no sig whatsoever.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Plasmo wrote:Its easier than the arcade version. :P
You can, however, set the difficulty to "round 1" or "round 2."

Also, you'll always meet the normally-secret bee boss at the end, even if you continue or whatnot, so if nothing else the mode gives people who'd normally never see the thing the chance to try him.
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Plasmo wrote:Its easier than the arcade version. :P
You can, however, set the difficulty to "round 1" or "round 2."

Also, you'll always meet the normally-secret bee boss at the end, even if you continue or whatnot, so if nothing else the mode gives people who'd normally never see the thing the chance to try him.
Him? Oh my friend. You know the ruler of the hive is the QUEEN.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Oh, whatever. :P Besides, the thing's mechanical anyways. ;)
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

I'd still do her. 8)
FULL LOCK is BOMB
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Must...resist...urge to make....up...another...shmup...boxers...slogan...
burgerkingdiamond

Re: RQ: dodonpachi Saturn mode questions

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

I've been playing the Arcade mode of the Saturn port. Is it just me or is it harder than the version in MAME?

Don't get me wrong, the port looks pretty damn good.. However, I'm playing it on my cab now and doing considerably worse than I have in the past on an inferior setup in MAME. I feel like the game is running faster, and I notice that my ship seems to move faster, thus making it harder to dodge in tight spots.

It's quite possible that my computer was just not running the game in full speed, but I don't really think that's it because it runs at a smooth framerate and seems to be running it well.

I just want to know what other people's opinion of this port is. Maybe I'm just rusty... I was never that great at DDP anyway.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
ave

Post by ave »

Well it certainly doesn't run faster than the arcade pcb. As far as I know, the slowdowns have all been well ported to the Sega Saturn and the handling of the ships is fairly identical (I didn't feel any difference). What's different as far as the technological aspect goes are the downscaled explosions who look rather shabby in comparison with PS1 and PCB.
THE ETERNAL
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

ave wrote:Well it certainly doesn't run faster than the arcade pcb. As far as I know, the slowdowns have all been well ported to the Sega Saturn and the handling of the ships is fairly identical (I didn't feel any difference). What's different as far as the technological aspect goes are the downscaled explosions who look rather shabby in comparison with PS1 and PCB.
Well, then I guess I'd have to blame my computer for not running it 100% full speed in MAME.

I hope I get used to it. I really want to get the PCB but it seems that prices have skyrocketed on it and Donpachi. Luckily I got DP a year ago for only $175, instead of like $300 and up today.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)