Taito Memories Gekan: Confirmed game list.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dessgeega

Post by dessgeega »

CecilMcW00t wrote:I'm loving Elevator Action Returns... Great atmosphere and gameplay. It's style kind of reminds me of Rolling Thunder II, but not really gameplay wise... just the setting and music.
a bit less crazily difficult, maybe? i managed to one-credit to stage four on the collection, which made me feel pretty good. the sprites are smaller and the stages bigger too, making for some really nice shoot-outs.

the original elevator action is confirmed for the second volume, by the way. huzzah!
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

Credit fed the unholy hell out of Darius Gaiden today so that I could beat it. Wound up getting the "W" ending which was actually one of the endings I was hoping to get :D Next time I won't be so haphazard about which routes I take, though :(

(which ending had the guy waking up? I want to record that one next :( )

Also recorded the intro, though I'm not too happy with the encode :(
Last edited by roushimsx on Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jp

Post by jp »

CMoon wrote:
dave4shmups wrote: I agree with Bloodflowers, unless there's "forced" vertical scrolling, like in Mobile Light Force 1, or Saturn Darius II, or the screen is cropped to the point of absurdity, like PS1 DDP, it really isn't THAT big of a deal not to have Tate. I've played Trizeal lately without Tate, on Arcade Mode 1 screen setting, and it plays perfectly fine that way. Diddo with Galactic Attack on my Saturn.
OK, so you're take is you know that many of the games are cropped, but you are down with that. I guess that's cool. To me, it is like widescreen vs. pan & scan. We all dealt with pan&scan for years, but when widescreen versions of films became available, chosing the former seemed a really silly choice.

I know plenty of people who will never tate, but there are brands which I assure you tate well, that sell for the price of two import shmups (maybe less). For those who tate, I think you'll hear the same story--more enjoyment from the games and better scores on the games. So it isn't really about if some people don't care about taking the extra step because I never used to tate either; rather it has become about whether tate is a 'big deal', and my response is, yes it is. I want to play the whole game, not a cropped version of it. I'd also need a bloody big tv in yoko to get as big an image as I do on my tate 20" TV.

Congratulations. You have convinced me to get a TV for tate purposes, since I've never played anything in tate before.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

God, i'd forgotten how good Growl and Pulirula were.
Neon

Post by Neon »

jp wrote:
CMoon wrote:
dave4shmups wrote: I agree with Bloodflowers, unless there's "forced" vertical scrolling, like in Mobile Light Force 1, or Saturn Darius II, or the screen is cropped to the point of absurdity, like PS1 DDP, it really isn't THAT big of a deal not to have Tate. I've played Trizeal lately without Tate, on Arcade Mode 1 screen setting, and it plays perfectly fine that way. Diddo with Galactic Attack on my Saturn.
OK, so you're take is you know that many of the games are cropped, but you are down with that. I guess that's cool. To me, it is like widescreen vs. pan & scan. We all dealt with pan&scan for years, but when widescreen versions of films became available, chosing the former seemed a really silly choice.

I know plenty of people who will never tate, but there are brands which I assure you tate well, that sell for the price of two import shmups (maybe less). For those who tate, I think you'll hear the same story--more enjoyment from the games and better scores on the games. So it isn't really about if some people don't care about taking the extra step because I never used to tate either; rather it has become about whether tate is a 'big deal', and my response is, yes it is. I want to play the whole game, not a cropped version of it. I'd also need a bloody big tv in yoko to get as big an image as I do on my tate 20" TV.

Congratulations. You have convinced me to get a TV for tate purposes, since I've never played anything in tate before.
you have 500 games...and no RGB monitor?
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Neon wrote:
jp wrote:
CMoon wrote: OK, so you're take is you know that many of the games are cropped, but you are down with that. I guess that's cool. To me, it is like widescreen vs. pan & scan. We all dealt with pan&scan for years, but when widescreen versions of films became available, chosing the former seemed a really silly choice.

Ha. Yeah. :P

And owning Garegga and Strikers and never TATE'ing oughta be a crime. Glad to hear you are getting a TATE TV though, you are gonna love true vertical shmupping.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

JP, just be careful. I tate'd a tv about 2 weeks ago, and ever since I put in Gunbird 2 (about a week ago) I have been unable to play anything else. I want to play other games, I really do. But Gunbird 2 in tate is a whole new experience, one I want to get over soon so I can get on with the rest of my life.
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

roushimsx wrote:God, i'd forgotten how good Growl and Pulirula were.
Both just a taste of Yack from Zuntata goodness! ^_^
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

roushimsx wrote:(which ending had the guy waking up? I want to record that one next :( )
That would be Darius II, Zone Y, and Super Darius II.
jp

Post by jp »

Neon wrote:
jp wrote:
CMoon wrote: OK, so you're take is you know that many of the games are cropped, but you are down with that. I guess that's cool. To me, it is like widescreen vs. pan & scan. We all dealt with pan&scan for years, but when widescreen versions of films became available, chosing the former seemed a really silly choice.

No... :cry: Just a 20'' flat screen with S-Video. But all these weird colors shoot across it when I try to lay it on its side. *sigh*

And given that I spent roughly $2400 on two Sega Saturns this summer, well... :P
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

jp wrote: No... :cry: Just a 20'' flat screen with S-Video. But all these weird colors shoot across it when I try to lay it on its side. *sigh*

And given that I spent roughly $2400 on two Sega Saturns this summer, well... :P
The weird colors may not be a serious problem. Unplug your tv for 15 minutes with the tv in its vertical position and try again.
jp

Post by jp »

professor ganson wrote:
jp wrote: No... :cry: Just a 20'' flat screen with S-Video. But all these weird colors shoot across it when I try to lay it on its side. *sigh*

The weird colors may not be a serious problem. Unplug your tv for 15 minutes with the tv in its vertical position and try again.

Alright, I'll give it a shot tonight!!!! :D
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Allow me to make the point of the situation once again (what a mess).

Taito Memories Vol. 1 is out (28 July) in Japan. It includes the following games:

1- Space Invaders Color
2- Lunar Rescue
3- Alpine Ski 1982
4- Fairyland Story
5- *Kiki Kai Kai
6- *Bubble Bobble
7- Rastan Saga
8- Kuri Kinton
9- *Syvalion
10- Jigoku Meguri
11- *Cameltry
12- Don Doko Don
13- Flipull
14- Aa Eikou no Koshien
15- Majestic Twelve (Super Space Invaders '91)
16- Runark
17- PuLiRuLa
18- *Metal Black
19- Grid Seeker
20- Space Invaders DX
21- Darius Gaiden
22- Light Bringer
23- Elevator Action Returns
24- Cleopatra Fortune
25- Puchi Carat

No tate feature for any of the game that would require it, and five games to unlock.

1- Space Invaders
2- Space Invaders Part 2
3- Crazy Balloon
4- Balloon Bomber
5- Qix
6- Wild Western
7- Elevator Action
8- Chack'n Pop
9- Front Line
10- Legend of Kage
11- The New Zealand Story
12- Rastan Saga II
13- Raimais
14- Insector X
15- Cadash
16- Violence Fight
17- Gun Frontier
18- Hat Trick Hero
19- Mizubaku Daibouken
20- Arabian Magic
21- Akkanvader (Space Invaders '95)
22- Gekirindan
23- Puzzle Bobble 2
24- Raystorm
25- G-Darius

Meanwhile. Empire/Xplosiv is releasing a Taito Legends pack in Europe. This is already on play.com. The list doesn't seem to be definitive:

1 Space Invaders
2 Phoenix
3 Space Invaders Part II
4 Colony 7
5 Electric YoYo
6 Jungle Hunt
7 Zoo Keeper
8 Elevator Action
9 Great Swordsman
10 Sea Fighter Poseidon (1984)
11 Bubble Bobble
12 Gladiator
13 Scramble Formation (Tokio)
14 Exzisus
15 Plump Pop
16 Operation Wolf
17 Rainbow Islands
18 Rastan
19 Super Qix
20 New Zealand Story
21 Operation Thunderbolt
22 Battle Shark (1989)
23 Continental Circus
24 Plotting (AKA Flipull)
25 Volfied
26 Aqua Jack (1990)
27 Ninja Kids (1990)
28 Space Gun (1990)
29 ThunderFox
30 Double Axle (1990)
31 Dungeon Magic (this is probably Space Dungeon)
32 Rayforce (1993)
33 Tube It
34 Bubble Symphony (1994)
35 Darius Gaiden (1994)
36 Pop N Pop (1997)

OR

1 Bubble Bobble (1986)
2 Colony 7 (1981)
3 Continental Circus /circuit (1987)
4 Electric Yo-Yo (1982)
5 Elevator Action (1983)
6 Exzisus (1987)
7 Gladiator (1986)
8 Great Swordsman (1984)
9 Jungle Hunt (1982)
10 New Zealand Story (1988)
11 Operation Thunderbolt (1988)
12 Operation Wolf (1987)
13 Phoenix (1980)
14 Plotting (1989)
15 Plump Pop (1987)
16 Rainbow Islands (1987)
17 Rastan (1987)
18 Return of the Invaders (1985)
19 Space Invaders / Space Invaders part 2 (1978-1980)
20 Super Qix (1987)
21 Thunderfox (1990)
22 Tokio (1986 aka Scramble Formation)
23 Tube It (1993)
24 Volfied (1989)
25 Zoo Keeper (1982)

If the latter list is definitive, it's a damn shame. We snatch Rainbow Islands and Operation Wolf, but what a price to pay: the newest game is Tube It.

The more I look at it, the more Recap's words on the other thread sound true:
Recap wrote:How enthusiastic...

Let's see. This is easier than all those speculations. Taito is doing a collection in two volumes for the Japanese market by itself. At the same time, Empire is doing another one for the European market under licence from Taito (much like the 32-bit ports of Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands). Two different games with similar content and just good timing.
Given their nature, the two products could as well be totally unrelated. I wonder if Digital Eclipse is handling the european package development.

Anyway, the average western gamer won't be happy to know that once again, he's pretty much screwed. Japanese fans get tons of Psx / SS ports, while we're given whoa, Colony 7. Let's hope they put Rayforce and Bubble Symphony in at least. If the Eu package ends up close to the 35 former list, then I'd say it's more than worthy.

Edit: the cover says "25 games that defined a generation - Work in Progress"

But you can read "Bubble Symphony" in background.
X - P - B
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

Turrican wrote:No tate feature for any of the game that would require it, and five games to unlock.
But no games seem to require it. The screen isn't cut off, it doesn't wobble, etc. Tate would have been a nice bonus, but it's not essential in this case.
undamned

Post by undamned »

You guys, just buy these games as a "sampler" and if you can't live with filtered graphics or lack of tate, buy the better versions for another platform, but, man, how can you go wrong with that many cool games on two discs :?: :!:
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love